Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
The 2019-2020 Ski Season Thread

Skivt2

1 hour ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Pretty fantastic spring conditions at Berkshire East right now.   Probably no more than 100 people or so here and it is an absolutely gorgeous sunny day.   I think the rain forecast scared a lot of people away. 

F7993ACD-1BCB-4514-80C4-14F1873ECEF6.thumb.jpeg.1074ebbdadf26a08948a2db8af329db8.jpeg

I figured that would be the case but couldn't swing it today.  Awesome

27 minutes ago, GCWarrior said:

Looks great up there at Berkshire East!  I'll be heading up for a bit after I get out of work.  Kids are already up skiing with friends.  Going to be slush on top of ice tonight!

Wasn’t as mushy as you would think.  Pretty damn good snow considering it was close to 60° when the sun was out.

planning on alpine skiing for first time this season on Sunday or Monday - really hoping these two events deliver in the notch. The thought of skiing a bunch of ice is unappealing for my first day out of season. This has to be the latest start to my season in 15 seasons.

On 1/11/2020 at 4:59 PM, HIPPYVALLEY said:

There are so many ski areas in New England that are bigger and more up-to-date but there’s something about that place that makes me smile.  

Agreed!  I have lived and skied all over the country and my home hill still makes me smile.  The Beast has done a splendid job snowmaking this season and offers enough terrain to keep me busy for a couple hours despite no natural snow right now. Living 15 mins away helps me like it a lot too.  I just hope we can get some natural snow this winter.  Place has some killer woods skiing if you know where to look.  

I often wonder how ski areas down here in NC stay in business. This year has been especially bad of course. Of course there has been record warmth for a a big portion of this month in the Southeast to the point where the bugs are coming back outside the mountains and Daffodils are appearing. This is Sugar Mountain (summit is over 6K ft):
Q5y0eVT.png

2 hours ago, eyewall said:

I often wonder how ski areas down here in NC stay in business. This year has been especially bad of course. Of course there has been record warmth for a a big portion of this month in the Southeast to the point where the bugs are coming back outside the mountains and Daffodils are appearing. This is Sugar Mountain (summit is over 6K ft):
Q5y0eVT.png

Ouch... that looks horrendous, and I think it's fair to assume the mountain has been closed for a while. 

Don't they usually get decent snowfall? I believe their average is around 70" or so.

2 minutes ago, Fozz said:

Ouch... that looks horrendous, and I think it's fair to assume the mountain has been closed for a while. 

Don't they usually get decent snowfall? I believe their average is around 70" or so.

They do, but the last 4-5 years there have been a disaster of some form. Not sure how long they have been closed this season.

2 hours ago, Fozz said:

They are open now.  You can see folks skiing on the web cam.

They've averaged about 70" the past couple of years.  Last year they actually set their record for longest continuous season.

http://www.skisugar.com/sugar-mountain-stats/

1 hour ago, sankaty said:

They are open now.  You can see folks skiing on the web cam.

They've averaged about 70" the past couple of years.  Last year they actually set their record for longest continuous season.

http://www.skisugar.com/sugar-mountain-stats/

Yeah I see they are actually open. That surprised me. I forgot they did well last year. They have had some rough ones though.

15 minutes ago, eyewall said:

Yeah I see they are actually open. That surprised me. I forgot they did well last year. They have had some rough ones though.

True enough.  Haven't spent much time down there, but figure a struggle with warmth is part of doing business for those areas.

Killington/Pico reporting 10" today with snow showers continuing.  With another round of snow forecast for the weekend, MLK conditions might be OK.  Heading up on Friday.