• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
The 2019-2020 Ski Season Thread

Skivt2

I'm guessing that skiing on Friday will be pretty rough.  I usually go every black Friday, but after this rainy mild up followed by cold, I'm imagining it will be pretty icy.  I figure it will take a few days to resurface all of the open trails.  I wonder if it will be better by Saturday.  Maybe I'll go Sunday and try to score some freshies.  Or if there is a snow day Monday, i'll hit that if the storm pulls through and the driving isn't too bad?  Thoughts?

20 hours ago, snowgeek said:

I'm guessing that skiing on Friday will be pretty rough.  I usually go every black Friday, but after this rainy mild up followed by cold, I'm imagining it will be pretty icy.  I figure it will take a few days to resurface all of the open trails.  I wonder if it will be better by Saturday.  Maybe I'll go Sunday and try to score some freshies.  Or if there is a snow day Monday, i'll hit that if the storm pulls through and the driving isn't too bad?  Thoughts?

Won’t be bad here. Grooming plus a fresh coat is just fine. 

7 hours ago, snowgeek said:

My niece went to Gore with a friend.  I decided to stay home.  She said there were some good spots and some really icy spots.  I'm a diva skier.  Only good conditions for these slightly old bones.  

My buddy’s said Stratton was ruff in the afternoon. Ice everywhere, glad I wasn’t there!

• Sad 1

Went out for a XC ski in the field adjacent to my house this evening - made a pair of tracks probably 100 yards in length - and just went back and forth for a half hour or so. The local nordic center (Great Brook) can't open due to the MA DCR (department of conservation and recreation) having not issued the necessary concession permit - total joke. Too bad, I'm sure they are losing revenue given Chelmsford/Carlisle received at least 12". And Weston Ski track which I'm less familiar with having just been a passholder last season seems to want to build a man-made base before opening - plus weston didn't get that much snow - 4". Oh well, still nice to be gliding!

Another awesome day at mt. Snow.  Steady snow all morning at the summit, packed powder and the they haven’t really touched the north face.  It really feels like mid-winter out here.  Southern Vermont seems to be leading the way in conditions right now but I can’t wait for stowe and jay to catch up so I can get up there.  Anyone been out up north today?

Another awesome day at mt. Snow.  Steady snow all morning at the summit, packed powder and the they haven’t really touched the north face.  It really feels like mid-winter out here.  Southern Vermont seems to be leading the way in conditions right now but I can’t wait for stowe and jay to catch up so I can get up there.  Anyone been out up north today?

Cool! Might go to Mt. Snow this weekend.

Great stuff out there today on Mansfield.

The upslope machine brought 6" to the mountain throughout the day and while cold powder, it had some density to it.  A lot of small flakes and even graupel at times.

Patrol was dropping ropes throughout the day.  The base from the November snow set-up perfectly and despite nothing exciting for snow depths, it skied really good.

78554686_10103958745673800_1845620371340

Someone else caught a rare photo of myself heading down to set-up for a photo from below.  The natural snow pitch of the Upper National Headwall is one long sustained ramp and it was so fun to just crush it in huge GS turns on an all-natural snow base.

We completely missed the big storm but man was this some good skiing.  Upslope "bread and butter" snow came through.

79646507_10158640590733357_7010178524552

20 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Great stuff out there today on Mansfield.

The upslope machine brought 6" to the mountain throughout the day and while cold powder, it had some density to it.  A lot of small flakes and even graupel at times.

Patrol was dropping ropes throughout the day.  The base from the November snow set-up perfectly and despite nothing exciting for snow depths, it skied really good.

78554686_10103958745673800_1845620371340

Someone else caught a rare photo of myself heading down to set-up for a photo from below.  The natural snow pitch of the Upper National Headwall is one long sustained ramp and it was so fun to just crush it in huge GS turns on an all-natural snow base.

We completely missed the big storm but man was this some good skiing.  Upslope "bread and butter" snow came through.

79646507_10158640590733357_7010178524552

Looks great out there and I would guess you added to that today.  Want to see how everyone gets through this cutter and maybe head up toward the end of next week.  Any other ropes drop today or expected this weekend?

On 12/2/2019 at 7:57 PM, Angus said:

The local nordic center (Great Brook) can't open due to the MA DCR (department of conservation and recreation) having not issued the necessary concession permit - total joke. Too bad, I'm sure they are losing revenue given Chelmsford/Carlisle received at least 12". And Weston Ski track which I'm less familiar with having just been a passholder last season seems to want to build a man-made base before opening - plus weston didn't get that much snow - 4". Oh well, still nice to be gliding!

So quick update, 5 days of nordic skiing this week. Two days at Weston and three around the neighborhood. Great Brook received their contract from the DCR one day after they were eligible to be open but the latest update stated the DCR had still not counter signed so they can't begin preparations to open. They would have gotten huge crowds this weekend. I can't tell you how disappointing the behavior of the DCR is for the local nordic skiing community and everyone feels very bad for the guy who runs the place and his employees. On weekends when they are open, you can't find a parking spot- it always amazes me what a huge pent-up demand there is to ski. Also, the local high schools use it as a practice facility rather than fighting traffic to weston. just a joke.

43 minutes ago, bwt3650 said:

Looks great out there and I would guess you added to that today.  Want to see how everyone gets through this cutter and maybe head up toward the end of next week.  Any other ropes drop today or expected this weekend?

Sunny Spruce Quad opens tomorrow with more terrain but I don’t think they dropped any other major ropes today.  

Got 1-2” throughout the day and still snowing this evening.

1 hour ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Great conditions today at Stratton with that mid winter vibe. The 20” earlier in the week and 4” yesterday have the place cruising. Even with the hit this week there will still be plenty of snow left 

Same at Berkshire east.  Winter cord and PP.  Nothing scratchy.  Many natural trails officially open and well covered.    Quality skiing.