• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Summer 2019 New England Banter and Disco

CapturedNature

I had this big guy stop by a couple of times last month. Looks like the same bear as far as I can tell. He's been a nuisance getting into people's trash and stuff. There are signs warning people not to leave trash and garbage unattended. VT Fish and Wildlife tried to track and catch him last year to no avail. 

I also had a double fox sighting at the end of the clip. Pretty cool how another enters as the first departs. 

• Like 4

On 8/8/2019 at 3:08 PM, MetHerb said:

Looks like a great trip Bob!

Thanks.  Can't wait. Going to be a hectic but worthwhile vacation.  We've got 3 shore excursions booked.  One is the Vatican Tour and the other 2 we got a private service to take us to the Amalfi Coast and to Pisa/Florence.

2 hours ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Thanks.  Can't wait. Going to be a hectic but worthwhile vacation.  We've got 3 shore excursions booked.  One is the Vatican Tour and the other 2 we got a private service to take us to the Amalfi Coast and to Pisa/Florence.

Man that's awesome.  Safe travels

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Ooo, I want to hear about Amalfi. We're headed there next April after my sister gets married in Florence (which we've seen before). Southern Italy will be all new to us. 

• Like 1

I saw this survey yesterday about thoughts on the future of the Boston Common and thought I would pass it along.  Perhaps if enough of us commented that they should put a weather station there like Central Park has, they might consider it.  I know we've long talked about the benefit of having one, particularly in winter.  This is your chance!

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/BostonCommonMasterPlan

18 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

Ooo, I want to hear about Amalfi. We're headed there next April after my sister gets married in Florence (which we've seen before). Southern Italy will be all new to us. 

Will do.  We won't be staying there, just touring the area for the day.  hopefully get down to Sorrento, then over to Amalfi itself.

• Like 1

I understand the rounding and that it doesn't affect the monthly data at the end of the month, but this kinda looks dumb. lol

...THE CONCORD NH CLIMATE SUMMARY FOR AUGUST 12 2019...

CLIMATE NORMAL PERIOD 1981 TO 2010
CLIMATE RECORD PERIOD 1868 TO 2019

WEATHER ITEM   OBSERVED TIME   RECORD YEAR NORMAL DEPARTURE LAST
                VALUE   (LST)  VALUE       VALUE  FROM      YEAR
                                                  NORMAL
TEMPERATURE (F)
 YESTERDAY
  MAXIMUM         84    441 PM  99    2016  82      2       71
  MINIMUM         53    532 AM  42    1950  57     -4       64
  AVERAGE         69                        69      0       68

51 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Maybe teach the computer about fractions?  Or at least to round in the same direction for both daily readings and norms.   I've seen the same for Caribou/GYX climo data.  And they round up even when the daily mean is below zero.

They should just use X.5 in the F6 and CLI forms.

I could understand sticking with sig figs and not wanting to create decimals or fractions when averaging 2 integers, but they contradict that line of thinking at the end of the month when determining the monthly average temperature. They sum the max and min integer temps, take an average, and then divide by the # of days and end up with precision down to the tenths place. If you're going to lie there, at least lie to me in the dailies for the F6 and CLI too. Then  yesterday we could've had a mean of 68.5F with a normal of 69.5F and a -1F on the day to talk about on the news.

6 hours ago, dendrite said:

They should just use X.5 in the F6 and CLI forms.

I could understand sticking with sig figs and not wanting to create decimals or fractions when averaging 2 integers, but they contradict that line of thinking at the end of the month when determining the monthly average temperature. They sum the max and min integer temps, take an average, and then divide by the # of days and end up with precision down to the tenths place. If you're going to lie there, at least lie to me in the dailies for the F6 and CLI too. Then  yesterday we could've had a mean of 68.5F with a normal of 69.5F and a -1F on the day to talk about on the news.

Or just use tenths of degrees for everything like the rest of the world. Enviro Canada even uses tenths for visibility and degree days.

9 hours ago, snowman21 said:

Or just use tenths of degrees for everything like the rest of the world. Enviro Canada even uses tenths for visibility and degree days.

Fractions become more important with the larger Celsius intervals.  Of note, the Climod site shows daily temps with whole degrees (F) but with .5 means where appropriate, and the norms/departures are to the tenths.  Last time I got data from UCC, their temps went to the tenths.  However, their snow depth would sometimes get weird, as if their system abhorred whole numbers - rarely was there a 5.0" event, as it would be listed as 4.99 or 4.98, less commonly 5.01.

Anyone have any recommendations on tires for a small truck (Ranger)? The Wild Country ones I got a couple of years ago were a disappointment. I probably could’ve rotated the tires more than I did, but one is completely bald and another has been leaking air through the valve stem. I do a good amount of highway driving, but they only made it 2 years. 

Thermodynamics...

I am going all in on air source heat pumps for both heating and cooling. Combined with solar panels I am going to attempt to not burn any fossil fuels this winter...

Under the principles of vapor compression refrigeration, an ASHP uses a refrigerant system involving a compressor and a condenser to absorb heat at one place and release it at another.

Air at any temperature above absolute zero contains some energy

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_source_heat_pumps

2 hours ago, dendrite said:

Anyone have any recommendations on tires for a small truck (Ranger)? The Wild Country ones I got a couple of years ago were a disappointment. I probably could’ve rotated the tires more than I did, but one is completely bald and another has been leaking air through the valve stem. I do a good amount of highway driving, but they only made it 2 years. 

Currently running garden variety Hancook (can get the designation later if you're interested) all around on my Ranger, and will probably buy another pair of Firestone Winterforce come snow tire time - the previous pair served well over 5 winters, probably 35-40,000 miles.  Snows never last as many miles as highway tires.

3 hours ago, tamarack said:

Currently running garden variety Hancook (can get the designation later if you're interested) all around on my Ranger, and will probably buy another pair of Firestone Winterforce come snow tire time - the previous pair served well over 5 winters, probably 35-40,000 miles.  Snows never last as many miles as highway tires.

So you like the Hankooks? I'm looking for something all-season and keep bouncing between the less expensive Firestone LE 2 and the pricier Michelin Defender LTX M/S. The truck is an 09 and pushing 180k so maybe the more expensive tire isn't even worth it.