• Member Statistics

    15,618
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    SnowGiant611
    Newest Member
    SnowGiant611
    Joined
Damage In Tolland

Heavy heavy lawn thread 2019

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

It seems weird me asking advice. But the wet last year or so has transformed my shady area of lawn under Oak canopy into a moss playground. I have limed it so ph is fine. It’s just wet and not much sun. Should I get the moss killer and spread it do it turns black and rake it all out.? There’s a lot of it. And that would mean a core aeration and reseed of the area. Or should I just hit it with the moss killer fert and hope that works?

Sounds like a dry summer with low dews would help. 

Seriously though, I’ve noticed the same thing on the north side of my pear trees. Lots of newly formed moss. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Planted grass out front last Saturday... weeds popping but no sign of grass... how long does it usual take to start seeing anything?

7-10 days

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Planted grass out front last Saturday... weeds popping but no sign of grass... how long does it usual take to start seeing anything?

https://www.scotts.com/sites/g/files/oydgjc106/files/asset_files/Seed_growth_chart.pdf

I wouldn't be surprised if the cool high temps of late and lack of sun might make things a little slower this year.  At least we haven't had to worry much about watering.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Planted grass out front last Saturday... weeds popping but no sign of grass... how long does it usual take to start seeing anything?

A mistake I sometimes see with people putting down grass seed is that they just sprinkle it on top or lightly rake it in.  A thin coating of top soil over the grass seed and keeping it moist without letting it dry out goes a long way.  Soil temperature really helps too. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Planted grass out front last Saturday... weeds popping but no sign of grass... how long does it usual take to start seeing anything?

New grass grows slowly in the spring because the ground is still cool. You’ll see some grass in a week, but seeding in spring is often a waste because the summer heat will kill the new grass. You are better off planting in the late summer or early fall. 

1 hour ago, wxeyeNH said:

A mistake I sometimes see with people putting down grass seed is that they just sprinkle it on top or lightly rake it in.  A thin coating of top soil over the grass seed and keeping it moist without letting it dry out goes a long way.  Soil temperature really helps too. 

I find that raking the seeds in and covering with a 1/4” of Peat moss does the trick. Keeps it moist and grass explodes, but again, better in late summer when it starts to cool. Need about a month or so before first frost for grass to get thick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, psv88 said:

New grass grows slowly in the spring because the ground is still cool. You’ll see some grass in a week, but seeding in spring is often a waste because the summer heat will kill the new grass. You are better off planting in the late summer or early fall. 

I find that raking the seeds in and covering with a 1/4” of Peat moss does the trick. Keeps it moist and grass explodes, but again, better in late summer when it starts to cool. Need about a month or so before first frost for grass to get thick.

Not too many concerned about that for the foreseeable future.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tried out the new mower last night (I miss the old John Deere).  Cut on the highest setting (4"??).  I might bring it down a notch once I get into the swing of things, but definitely want to keep it on the high side.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, moneypitmike said:

Tried out the new mower last night (I miss the old John Deere).  Cut on the highest setting (4"??).  I might bring it down a notch once I get into the swing of things, but definitely want to keep it on the high side.

Pics?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/4/2019 at 4:48 PM, Damage In Tolland said:

It seems weird me asking advice. But the wet last year or so has transformed my shady area of lawn under Oak canopy into a moss playground. I have limed it so ph is fine. It’s just wet and not much sun. Should I get the moss killer and spread it do it turns black and rake it all out.? There’s a lot of it. And that would mean a core aeration and reseed of the area. Or should I just hit it with the moss killer fert and hope that works?

I'd aerate the shit out of that area.  Get that area to drain/dry out as best you can. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/4/2019 at 4:48 PM, Damage In Tolland said:

It seems weird me asking advice. But the wet last year or so has transformed my shady area of lawn under Oak canopy into a moss playground. I have limed it so ph is fine. It’s just wet and not much sun. Should I get the moss killer and spread it do it turns black and rake it all out.? There’s a lot of it. And that would mean a core aeration and reseed of the area. Or should I just hit it with the moss killer fert and hope that works?

Shouldn't seem weird asking for advice, if someone says that they know it all then clearly they don't know what they are talking about.  My ph is fine too, I test it, but I battle moss all the time, I'm down along the Wallkill River and have ponds and wetlands near me so I tend to do the dew more than others and have figured that to be the reason.  I've used the Moss Out concentrate and hit areas with the pump sprayer and raked it out.  Last year I didn't even bother with that, just raked the areas out in early September after the concern of crabgrass had passed.  Its a never ending battle for me though and as a result I will always have some moss but that's ok.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

Shouldn't seem weird asking for advice, if someone says that they know it all then clearly they don't know what they are talking about.  My ph is fine too, I test it, but I battle moss all the time, I'm down along the Wallkill River and have ponds and wetlands near me so I tend to do the dew more than others and have figured that to be the reason.  I've used the Moss Out concentrate and hit areas with the pump sprayer and raked it out.  Last year I didn't even bother with that, just raked the areas out in early September after the concern of crabgrass had passed.  Its a never ending battle for me though and as a result I will always have some moss but that's ok.    

I didn’t mean to come across like that. I know very little about a lot . I’ve always had areas of moss and the grass has always managed to grow and sort of win out in the grand scheme of things. But the last year of wetness and maybe just not enough sunlight has left a huge area of my side lawn full of moss and the nice grass that had been there has all but vanished. It’s a bit of a slope so it does drain. I think erosion also may be washing some of the soil away and since it’s under Oaks, it just is finally succumbing. It’s not a super thick canopy. Some sunlight does get thru. It really bothers me. I guess I’ll wait until September, but it’ll bother me all summer. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I put down fert/crabgrass prevention 2.5 wks ago. Soils temps were near 50F (only couple days though), couple forsynthia were blooming (slowly), but then it got cold. Now I see forsynthia going wild as of last couple days. Wondering if I executed too early. Too late now, but thought I'd ask.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

I put down fert/crabgrass prevention 2.5 wks ago. Soils temps were near 50F (only couple days though), couple forsynthia were blooming (slowly), but then it got cold. Now I see forsynthia going wild as of last couple days. Wondering if I executed too early. Too late now, but thought I'd ask.

Damn you far behind.  My forsythia dropped their blooms a week ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I didn’t mean to come across like that. I know very little about a lot . I’ve always had areas of moss and the grass has always managed to grow and sort of win out in the grand scheme of things. But the last year of wetness and maybe just not enough sunlight has left a huge area of my side lawn full of moss and the nice grass that had been there has all but vanished. It’s a bit of a slope so it does drain. I think erosion also may be washing some of the soil away and since it’s under Oaks, it just is finally succumbing. It’s not a super thick canopy. Some sunlight does get thru. It really bothers me. I guess I’ll wait until September, but it’ll bother me all summer. 

I like to say "I've read lots of books that have nothing to do with this." LOL  You could rake it out now but as you know then you may open that area up to crabgrass.  That said, if you don't have crabgrass now, and nor do your neighbors, then my guess would be the risk of crabgrass is much smaller.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First mow done yesterday, about 10 days later than normal due to all the rain.  Some of the lawn was almost 8 inches high. 

Heavy moss is almost always due to insufficient direct sunshine.  If the mossy areas are heavily shaded, thinning and/or removing trees will help. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Brewbeer said:

First mow done yesterday, about 10 days later than normal due to all the rain.  Some of the lawn was almost 8 inches high. 

Heavy moss is almost always due to insufficient direct sunshine.  If the mossy areas are heavily shaded, thinning and/or removing trees will help. 

Yeah I think that’s the main issue, but it does get some , and it’s only in the last year that this has happened 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Brewbeer said:

First mow done yesterday, about 10 days later than normal due to all the rain.  Some of the lawn was almost 8 inches high. 

Heavy moss is almost always due to insufficient direct sunshine.  If the mossy areas are heavily shaded, thinning and/or removing trees will help. 

In my case, the one spot that gets moss on a regular basis is on a open SW facing slope, go figure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Aspens showing some green at home, sugar maples in Augusta in full flower - looks like a good seed year for them (assuming tomorrow morning's freeze doesn't hit too hard.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.