• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NE snow event March 4th

tiger_deF

I hate to be that person as mentioned before but as unpredictable as models always are and despite the trends of the season this really is a situation (complicated setup, models showing multiple competing areas of vorticity, convection, and low pressure centers, plus fairly large model divergence and shifts so far) where we will likely still have a good bit of uncertainty by tomorrow evening. The fast speed and variable intensity won't help

41 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

I mean there is more to forecasting than New England. NWP continues to get better, year over year, even if it doesn't seem that way in your backyard.

And I can't believe I'm doing this but, the FV3 is an improvement over the GFS. My guess is that there was too much complaining about clown maps from the field and so implementation got delayed. Which says more about the forecasters than the models in my opinion.

Very true. I can't speak for the rest of the country cause I don't pay attention besides NE and NYC area but you obviously know more than me.

I'll take your word for it considering you are a NWS Met and those are NWS/NOAA models so if anyone on this board has good knowledge of them, it's you. I was just going on what I've noticed it (FV3) does verbatim and what I've read on here from others

1 minute ago, dryslot said:

Now that is what were looking for, I think H85 actually closed of that run.

Yeah we actually got 40 knots slamming into the Cape from the SE at 850mb...that's gonna produce a really good area of ML fronto further to the northwest.

1 minute ago, BombsAway1288 said:

Very true. I can't speak for the rest of the country cause I don't pay attention besides NE and NYC area but you obviously know more than me.

I'll take your word for it considering you are a NWS Met and those are NWS/NOAA models so if anyone on this board has good knowledge of them, it's you. I was just going on what I've noticed it (FV3) does verbatim and what I've read on here from others

The FV3 would currently be an incremental improvement on the GFS. The real benefit could be down the road, emphasis on could as long as we don't shoot ourselves in the foot as we transition to the next gen of US modeling.

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah we actually got 40 knots slamming into the Cape from the SE at 850mb...that's gonna produce a really good area of ML fronto further to the northwest.

That's a real good look on the GFS for interior SNE. I would suspect QPF (or at least ratios) will be better through the ORH area than what is depicted verbatim.

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

Folks will get a nice thump on that NW side of that, This one has more upside to it then yesterdays just pawing over the data from the last 24 hrs.

1 minute ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Foxboro over to Hingham looks to jack as per that depiction...maybe into N RI

The best banding actually is prob NW of them this run...though the GFS QPF won't depict that...it almost never does. It's a pretty good look even almost back to where you are...but def for like Ray to 495 and down into C CT.