Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The Mystical Month of February--Long Range Discussion

Ji

2 minutes ago, Ji said:

ICON is usually a cheapskate with snow....this is significant for the icon...

icon_asnow_neus_41.png

How much of that is ice?  Or, more precisely I guess, when does it change to ice?  The TT precip plots for that model I know are awful, since it doesn't show mix/ice even when there is (it displays as rain).  And yeah, I'm too lazy right now to check the temps...figuring someone already has, LOL!! :lol:

2 minutes ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

How much of that is ice?  Or, more precisely I guess, when does it change to ice?  The TT precip plots for that model I know are awful, since it doesn't show mix/ice even when there is (it displays as rain).  And yeah, I'm too lazy right now to check the temps...figuring someone already has, LOL!! :lol:

None of it. Icon counts ice as rain not snow. Lol 

• Thanks 1

The ICON doesn’t show any ice at all, whether on its snow map or it’s PTYPE depiction. Uses something called the “True SLR ratio” which tends to be conservative. Snow map would actually be a lot higher if it kept it as ice, verbatim it flips many of us to rain and below 32 at the end of the storm
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Always in Zugzwang said:

And low is a bit farther east in TN, without also being more north?

That is the trend worth watching. Getting that east pushes the better waa into our area faster. Less risk of it sliding to our NW.  Plus you get that low into eastern TN and there is even a chance it jumps and the whole thing stays under us. Crazier things have happened.   

• Like 1

Just now, psuhoffman said:

That is the trend worth watching. Getting that east pushes the better waa into our area faster. Less risk of it sliding to our NW.  Plus you get that low into eastern TN and there is even a chance it jumps and the whole thing stays under us. Crazier things have happened.   

Yup, was thinking of that, as you mentioned it earlier (with 12Z GFS).  That 12Z GFS had the low in western TN as I recall, this run of the FV3 looks to be around south-central TN, but it's hard to tell because the "stamp" covers up some of the detail and isn't necessarily the location of the "center" or closed region.  But it does look close to there FWIW.  Good trends today, that's for sure.

5 minutes ago, Jandurin said:

go ahead psu

tell us how this one will fail

or are there actually too many ways for you to pick, saving us

Lol 

If it ejects in weak waves. If it waits too long to eject. If the ridge trough axis shifts further west. If the 50/50 trends weaker or east. Lots of ways. 

...but I have a good feeling about this one. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, psuhoffman said:

Lol 

If it ejects in weak waves. If it waits too long to eject. If the ridge trough axis shifts further west. If the 50/50 trends weaker or east. Lots of ways. 

...but I have a good feeling about this one. 

what feels good is that its Friday night and the storm basiccally develops Monday nights. its not 5-7 days away. My demarcation point of when i start taking a storm seriously is when it still has it at 132 hours. We are basically at 96 hours and thats a big surge of moisture lol

• Like 1

Just now, Always in Zugzwang said:

Not to be a downer, but it is worth noting the FV3 does flip to rain and dumps ~0.75"+ in the 24 hours after that change-over.  Of course the same amount or more falls before that, as snow/ice.

Better than how it looked 48 hours ago so at least this beats that. Maybe the CAD will hold longer