Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 2019 Discussion I

NorEastermass128

3 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

It’s probably realistically snow to ice to rain . The high doesn’t stay in place .. it slides east. We’ll need to see it hold in place like models showed yesterday, otherwise it’s a mix to cold rain . 5-6 days out lots can happen 

Yea its flipping around every run. Once we see consistency then we will know either way. Last night was a half inch of rain at 53. 

1 minute ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Right so how the fook is This a very good pattern 

Talk to those 50 miles north. It’s impossible to determine how that sets up. I never said it’s good. But I’d take it over any black hole near AK. Similar look in 13-14 yielded almost 80” for me. 

15 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Long range looks the same, I mean next week. Long range has been gradient looking. The nao is what’s voodoo. 

Question for the Mets: Why is it that a -NAO seems to not materialize more often than not when forecasted. Just seems to me that when a -EPO is forecasted the odds are better it will materialize.

Just now, CoastalWx said:

Talk to those 50 miles north. It’s impossible to determine how that sets up. I never said it’s good. But I’d take it over any black hole near AK. Similar look in 13-14 yielded almost 80” for me. 

That’s true it’s serviceable If one likes scoring 3 inches on a snow to rain scenario , praying for overrunning but not for retention

i mean I’m 50 miles of you and it overall blows 

Another 50 miles from that and we’re average , another 100 north of that and they are Epic 

8 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

It’s probably realistically snow to ice to rain . The high doesn’t stay in place .. it slides east. We’ll need to see it hold in place like models showed yesterday, otherwise it’s a mix to cold rain . 5-6 days out lots can happen 

It could easily still be mostly frozen for interior. We'll just have to see how phased the low gets off to the west. Do we get more of a Ukie scenario or a wound up Euro scenario? Either one is totally on the table 5-6 days out. 

2 minutes ago, FRWEATHA said:

Question for the Mets: Why is it that a -NAO seems to not materialize more often than not when forecasted. Just seems to me that when a -EPO is forecasted the odds are better it will materialize.

John waxed poetically about that the other day, you gotta this super charged La Niña circulation with fast flow and a open Atlantic , the amount of physical change required in the atmosphere to change such a circulation with massive momentum behind it to just plop a -NAO road block in “there”, seems why it’s ghosting . Something like that...found it interesting 

1 minute ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

That’s true it’s serviceable If one likes scoring 3 inches on a snow to rain scenario , praying for overrunning but not for retention

Another 50 miles from that and we’re average , another 100 north of that and they are Epic 

It could easily be like Feb 2014 dude...massive EPO and zero NAO and meh PNA. I had 40+ inches that month with basically zero melting. You just don't know how it's going to end up. Or it could be like late Jan 94/early Feb 94. Very good for snow but a cutter thrown in there...but still overall skewing cold. Yeah, we could suck too...but it's not the only option. 

8 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

As the crow flies from you it’s pretty good.   You just can’t determine these things 10+ days out. I’ll take that look any day when you compare the H5 composites of true glorified ratters. Trust me, I’m frustrated as anyone. I look forward to this time of year and it’s what gets me through summer. But it’s not a bad look. I’m more frustrated at the -NAO. I’m selling that quicker than Apple stock right now.

5 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

It could easily be like Feb 2014 dude...massive EPO and zero NAO and meh PNA. I had 40+ inches that month with basically zero melting. You just don't know how it's going to end up. Or it could be like late Jan 94/early Feb 94. Very good for snow but a cutter thrown in there...but still overall skewing cold. Yeah, we could suck too...but it's not the only option. 

I see a good chance around day 10 for some phasing for perhaps our best storm since Nov. The day 5 storm has trended worse on ENS with the SE ridge poking up.  Hopefully it reverses starting today. 

14 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

John waxed poetically about that the other day, you gotta this super charged La Niña circulation with fast flow and a open Atlantic , the amount of physical change required in the atmosphere to change such a circulation with massive momentum behind it to just plop a -NAO road block in “there”, seems why it’s ghosting . Something like that...found it interesting 

Thanks. I see what he was getting at. You know at least in the 1980s there was no internet to keep sucking you back in with long range forecasts that looked like it was turning to a good snow pattern. But this year so far really has reminded me of several winters of that decade as many on here have pointed out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FRWEATHA said:

You also have the basic fact that the Pac jet is stronger, and therefore easier for the models to sniff out. Stronger synoptic features are easier for NWP to pin down, and it's why winter verification scores are always better than summer.