Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January/February Winter Storm Threat Tracker

Ji

Just now, SnowGoose69 said:

The Canadian seems clueless down the MS Valley and southeast though.  It’s way more progressive with the boundary and area of snow across MS-AL-GA more than any other 12Z model and the EPS so it’s less likely to be right downstream  

I'm hugging the euro/eps. Been locked in with the general progression for multiple runs. I know my yard is on a razor edge win/fail line though. Still on the winning side for now. I expect more wobbles and shifts every cycle. 

Just now, Bob Chill said:

I'm hugging the euro/eps. Been locked in with the general progression for multiple runs. I know my yard is on a razor edge win/fail line though. Still on the winning side for now. I expect more wobbles and shifts every cycle. 

I think we need to survive one more cycle of the Euro.  It’s had tendencies since 2013 and the upgrade to over amp beyond 84-90.   Getting the early stages of this inside of that range and it not budging today is good  

• Like 1

Just now, SnowGoose69 said:

I think we need to survive one more cycle of the Euro.  It’s had tendencies since 2013 and the upgrade to over amp beyond 84-90.   Getting the early stages of this inside of that range and it not budging today is good  

Agreed. The trickiest part is a narrow swath of accum snow. Yea, it could be heavy or even intense for a short time but being so narrow it takes a very small shift to celebrate or pop xanax. 

Just now, Bob Chill said:

Agreed. The trickiest part is a narrow swath of accum snow. Yea, it could be heavy or even intense for a short time but being so narrow it takes a very small shift to celebrate or pop xanax. 

it could be one of things that modeled really well 5 minutes before the storm and it busts

Just now, Ji said:

it could be one of things that modeled really well 5 minutes before the storm and it busts

Don't disagree there. One of those things where we may still be guessing 12 hours before onset. 

Don't automatically write off later in the week. Many solutions are still possible. Doesn't seem probable right now on the ensembles. Still pretty far out in time though.

20 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

this is the thing that has me holding back...I am actually interested in the idea of a quick dynamic event, even if only a couple inches, followed by a true arctic front.  But the areal coverage is so narrow that I am waiting to get invested until we are within range where shifts of that small zone is lessened. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Ji said:

21 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Don't disagree there. One of those things where we may still be guessing 12 hours before onset. 

Don't automatically write off later in the week. Many solutions are still possible. Doesn't seem probable right now on the ensembles. Still pretty far out in time though.

one thing that could help move this towards a more stable and slightly more widespread event would be a trend towards a healthier wave along the front.  The more amplified that wave becomes (assuming it takes a favorable track) it will hold the front up more and increase moisture transport across the cold boundary which would increase the coverage and intensity of the snowfall some.  We obviously would still need that wave to take a favorable track but the stronger that feature the more likely the guidance will be able to pick up on its general track as well...so all in all a trend towards a stronger wave would help decrease the chances of a last minute bust. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

If you think the models are overdoing suppression in the med range then the potential looks pretty good for now.

Now the question is how could it turn up the coast? Doesn't seem like that can happen unless it phases, right? (After last month, I'm not sure we wanna rely on that southern piece trending north, lol)

7 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Now the question is how could it turn up the coast? Doesn't seem like that can happen unless it phases, right? (After last month, I'm not sure we wanna rely on that southern piece trending north, lol)

It might not have to. Seeing some signs of a northern stream shortwave riding through so it could pull up moisture and overrunning. The southern shortwave could send the same thing our way with simple height rises. Of course turning the corner is the optimal way. Not going to pick apart details because it's a waste of time. Just something worth watching. That's all.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

It’s not nearly as amped down in the Gulf as the 00Z Euro or 06Z Euro at 84 or 78 respectively but it’s better than the GFS by a bit and worlds better than the CMC 

This one has the feel of coming down to the wire before full consensus. One of those deals where models finally converge once the southern tail of the front is figured out in real time. Euro is dead set on a legit wave rippling along but the euro also likes to go amp happy in the med range. If the euro holds strong through 0z Monday run then I would start hugging it and tossing everything else unless other ops look the same. One thing the euro is good at in the short range is getting pieces of upper level energy right. Fv3 was a clear step towards the euro at least. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, NorthArlington101 said:

Didn't post it because it kinda sucks, lol. 84h is the money panel for you guys. 

UKMET-17-km-East-Coast-USA-6-h-Precipita

No worries. Just wanted to see the progression. Based on 72-84h it looks more strung out before the wave zips north. Very delicate setup no matter how you slice it. We're under 4 days and still in the game. A couple inches of snow on the ground before the front clears would transform our area into deep winter conditions for 5+ days. Much better than a couple inches with a warm front. Lol

• Like 2

• WxUSAF unpinned and locked this topic