Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Central PA - Jan/Feb 2019 Obs and Discussion

MAG5035

1 minute ago, CarlislePaWx said:

Why don't we have winter storm watches out yet for Monday night/ Tuesday?  The expected combination of snowfall and ice accretion should easily meet WSW criteria.  Unless they are going with a watch in the afternoon package and then an upgrade to warning tomorrow morning?

Because it has been a winter where no guidance is to be believed.  Probably being super cautious since they've busted on almost every storm so far.

20 minutes ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

The 12z GEFS upped the ante for CTP!

Most ensemble members bring a widespread 4-8 inches of snow to most of us by Wednesday am.

31532907-7EF8-49D3-A8EB-FF55FAC55FF8.png

FDB54605-B78D-4A6C-B9EF-092C8F28650E.png

getting pretty close to the event for ensembles, but that being said, there is still some spread between members in regards to snow amounts around central PA.

7 minutes ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

I think that High up north means business for us in CTP.

Yea it certainly does, this should be a really good CAD setup. I dunno if I buy widespread warning snowfall totals yet. The 12z NAM weatherbell snowmap really, REALLY had a ton of inflation via heavy mixed precip, although a few inches probably came from tonights wave as well. There's a lot of sleet and freezing rain conditionals on P-types. This is the Accuweather version of the 12z NAM snowfall, which I feel is more reasonable.

nam-null--usne-63-C-new_snowtotk_whitecounty.thumb.png.350ae16fc9a2d41e15847bde5e5229b8.png

Now the Euro's take seems to have heavier precip up front in the snow phase of the system, especially in the central counties thus the snowfall bullseye. The Euro's snow totals are legitmate, and it still has a drawn out mixing phase after like the NAM does. Warning totals are doable if we get whacked with heavy precip up front. The Euro/UK seem to be the models hanging on to keeping the column good for snow the longest. I'm def leaning colder solutions for this setup, but my concern would be enough warming aloft that a mix to sleet takes the top off potential snow amounts. I like a region wide high end advisory snow wise to start with... say Central counties 4-5", LSV-southern tier 2-4". Location of meso features (heavier precip via forcing etc) could dictate where a region of warning snows resides. Right now I think 6-8" is top end on snowfall potential, and for a primary into the lakes region seeing that anywhere in C-PA would be impressive. 

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, bubbler86 said:

Canderson and Blizz going to the MA and representing!  

Who in here that posts even semi regularly is trolling the MA? Most of our regulars usually keep to themselves up here.. and the ones that post down there are on the edge of that subforum. The only thing I've seen other than weather discussion in here lately is some enlightening advice on steaks, moose biscuits, and kanjer cakes.. lol. 

4 minutes ago, MAG5035 said:

Who in here that posts even semi regularly is trolling the MA? Most of our regulars usually keep to themselves up here.. and the ones that post down there are on the edge of that subforum. The only thing I've seen other than weather discussion in here lately is some enlightening advice on steaks, moose biscuits, and kanjer cakes.. lol. 

i am not sure who is "trolling" and as all I have seen is the occasional poster, myself included, join in the convo and then a new guy that keeps talking about Harrisburg as if he is the wrong forum.   This "you are in the wrong forum" stuff is for the birds in most cases.  I will only speak for myself when I say that anyone from the MA, NE, NYC, anywhere...is welcome to contribute to any board I am part of as we are all here for enjoyment of weather tracking and such...especially winter weather for those here now.  

If someone from another forum is always coming into sub forums and trying work up the crowd that is not totally cool but as you stated I have not seen that and that would be what I consider trolling. 

• Like 1

finally some gd respect for my superior weather forecasting ability's. Its kanjer cakes for all of us this time around I tell ya starting tonight. The moose biscuits will move in by tomorrow afternoon hopefully by 4:20 pm .  The hot air from the schumerpelosi BS belt should stay well south down around DC so the whole thing doesn't melt away quicker than it falls. Should the shumerpelosi BS belt lift north a little dont be surprised to wake up with a little BS in your back yard. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Flatheadsickness said:

finally some gd respect for my superior weather forecasting ability's. Its kanjer cakes for all of us this time around I tell ya starting tonight. The moose biscuits will move in by tomorrow afternoon hopefully by 4:20 pm .  The hot air from the schumerpelosi BS belt should stay well south down around DC so the whole thing doesn't melt away quicker than it falls. Should the shumerpelosi BS belt lift north a little dont be surprised to wake up with a little BS in your back yard. 

You stoned? :D

5 minutes ago, Flatheadsickness said:

Huh?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, bubbler86 said:

Regardless of snow maps and sleet vs snow the 18Z has a nice 1-2 shot and is certainly deserving of a warning if its depiction is close to correct. 

Yea this is kind of crazy.  A cutter like this and we might be seeing a warning level snow/ice event.  When do you return?   The long range is starting to look very interesting.