• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 24 - 31 Cold Blast

MNstorms

The 12z Euro and EPS (498 h5 heights over Lk Superior on the mean!) were obscene and then the 18z GFS came in and tried to one-up the Euro. We'll see what tonight's runs have in store.

For reference, here's the upper air climatology page: https://www.weather.gov/unr/uac

Attached are top coldest h85 temps at ILX/PIA/RAN and DVN. 9e22b68e7c672f32e56b6b175e15c607.jpgb16dcaf392a8cccfacd1ca499d1ba6ad.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Nice! I'm surprised the record low H85 temp at DVN is "only" -27.7C.  I would have thought closer to -30 or -32C.  That makes the current model output even more impressive. Would like to get this within 5 days...but even so, those incredibly low EPS mean heights are very telling that it's probably the real deal.

Yeah, the 18z GFS was wild.  468 dm thickness at INL and H85 temps below -40C.

• Like 1

Nice! I'm surprised the record low H85 temp at DVN is "only" -27.7C.  I would have thought closer to -30 or -32C.  That makes the current model output even more impressive. Would like to get this within 5 days...but even so, those incredibly low EPS mean heights are very telling that it's probably the real deal.
Yeah, the 18z GFS was wild.  468 dm thickness at INL and H85 temps below -40C.
Reason for that at DVN is that it's only been a UA site since 1996. Agree that if we get this within 5 days, will start to become a reality and question will be exactly how extreme it is. Will also help to get the heaviest snow axis over northern IL on Monday to help max things out.

• Like 2

In almost 20 years of looking at weather models, I can honestly say that tonight's GFS is one of the craziest things I can remember seeing on a model prog for cold weather.  And it's not way out there at 10 days plus.
Agree. I remember being wowed by medium range projections of early January 2014 cold shot and it wasn't like this.

5 minutes ago, CoalCityWxMan said:

How the heck is anyone supposed to go anywhere with it being that dangerously cold for that long??

True. As a guy who usually works at 4am during the weekdays, this would absolutely suck to verify. Even if I’m inside a car, it’ll be brutal to just leave the warmth of my house.

On 1/24/2019 at 2:40 AM, RCNYILWX said:

Actually bottoms out at -34 at ORD Friday morning, insane.

Yeah incredible!

On 1/24/2019 at 2:17 AM, Chicago Storm said:

Record is -27 on 1/20/1985.

I see, definitely something to watch as we get closer.