Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Winter Begins Jan 20th AWT

40/70 Benchmark

1 minute ago, dendrite said:

It's interesting that the GFS/NAM are being hugged and he RGEM/EC have been tossed. Not saying I agree or disagree, but it is definitely interesting.

My gut is we end up somewhere in the middle of the EC and NCEP.

EC is way too warm at the surface now. Tossed. Prob will be closer with the midelvels...though I'm still thinking a slight tick colder than what it shows now. NAM is prob too cold aloft.

Just now, dendrite said:

It's interesting that the GFS/NAM are being hugged and he RGEM/EC have been tossed. Not saying I agree or disagree, but it is definitely interesting.

My gut is we end up somewhere in the middle of the EC and NCEP.

Reading earlier by some that have always said to toss the GFS and now there making room in the bed for it, I would never outright toss the Euro, Just blend it with the NCEP guidance.

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

EC is way too warm at the surface now. Tossed. Prob will be closer with the midelvels...though I'm still thinking a slight tick colder than what it shows now. NAM is prob too cold aloft.

Yeah I'm referring to mid-levels. I expect the sfc to overperform cold as usual.

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

Agreed.  Blend it as usual.  The EC has been Steady Eddy for days though for the most part.  It's EPS has been like The Rock for 4 days now. 

Just a fascinating near-term battle.

Just now, USCAPEWEATHERAF said:

Coastal moisture transport and potential coastal storm development is beginning to take shape on the 12z NAM at hour 24, need to watch this enhance the moisture in take from the Atlantic Ocean combine with the GOM moisture.  Should enhance snowfall totals over New England.

How do the SREFs look? Any trends?

31 minutes ago, cut said:

Saw something really cool driving on I95 in Bridgeport a little while ago. There is a power station on the south side of the highway - left side as driving south - and the steam coming out was doing a spiral as it elevated through the atmosphere. First it was going right to left (NW>SE) it spiraled up and clockwise and probably 100 feet above the top of the stack it was going SE to NW. Really cool to see. Something that might be cool to visualize as we talk up this cold lower layer for this next storm. It's really cool to see visually what we talk about vertically in the atmosphere.

I find it fascinating when I see clouds at different altitudes moving in different directions.

1 minute ago, LibertyBell said:

I find it fascinating when I see clouds at different altitudes moving in different directions.

It was way cool, like the bottom portion of a cork screw. It really is cool to see that as we discuss the surface vs. the 850 layer for this next storm - visualizing the cold north flow at ground and the warmer south easterlies up above.

• Like 1

Just now, cut said:

It was way cool, like the bottom portion of a cork screw. It really is cool to see that as we discuss the surface vs. the 850 layer for this next storm - visualizing the cold north flow at ground and the warmer south easterlies up above.

Yes I would actually like to see the smoke do that in the middle of a storm, it would be a great way to see the atmosphere in 3D!