Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 12-14, 2019 Storm Discussion STORM MODE

WxUSAF

Just now, osfan24 said:

The NAM, woof. And I don't mean DT woofing. It snows for three hours LOL.

Yes it’s dog sh**.  I agree.  I’d like to dismiss it as the NAM but somehow it seems to fit the idea of too much confluence and not enough oomph to get it north.  Once again congrats RIC.  It is what it is.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BristowWx said:

Yes it’s dog sh**.  I agree.  I’d like to dismiss it as the NAM but somehow it seems to fit the idea of too much confluence and not enough oomph to get it north.  Once again congrats RIC.  It is what it is.  

3k is an absolute dumpster fire holy sh*t. No way it’s right! 

I mean the rgem looks like "big storm incoming" and the nam looks like a few snow showers.  And we're getting closer to be using the nam at range excuse much longer. Of course once that one stops working the nam just sucks excuse is still valid. 
This crap never happens in a rainstorm. There should not be this kind of variance day before a storm. The gfs is still shifting from hot and cold every run. Nam is forecasting for a different planet...

3 minutes ago, jayyy said:

Guys NAM and GFS are absolutely compromised by this shutdown. My buddy at NWS confirmed this fact. 

He said to blend the Canadian and Ukie for the consensus. He’s thinking 3-6” area wide for Maryland and dc proper. 8” lollipops in central va

Thanks. If the American guidance is truly suffering from lack of maintenance and data injestion problems they will only degrade more as this continues. If true it might be best to just start ignoring them to cut down on confusion and noise. It's not like we don't have enough non compromised guidance (rgem/ggem/ukmet/icon/euro). Frankly the verification scores on the gfs before all this started were only running marginally better than the "jv" models and behind the U.K./euro anyways. 

I think the difference between the 3k NAM and the RGEM is how much snow reaches the ground.  The 3k NAM looks pretty good at 48 hours if you look at composite reflectivity.

wxj3b9u.png

This is a common difference between those two models.  The RGEM is more likely than most other models to think snow will make it to the ground through dry air.  Sometimes it's right, but often it's not.  It will be interesting to see what the HRDPS says.  It typically runs a little drier than the RGEM and did better with the virga in December.

• Like 1

Just now, psuhoffman said:

Thanks. If the American guidance is truly suffering from lack of maintenance and data injestion problems they will only degrade more as this continues. If true it might be best to just start ignoring them to cut down on confusion and noise. It's not like we don't have enough non compromised guidance (rgem/ggem/ukmet/icon/euro). Frankly the verification scores on the gfs before all this started were only running marginally better than the "jv" models and behind the U.K./euro anyways. 

There are no data issues with the American models.    The GFS medium range scores did slip during the end of December / early part of January, but they seem to be recovering.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Ji said:
5 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:
I mean the rgem looks like "big storm incoming" and the nam looks like a few snow showers.  And we're getting closer to be using the nam at range excuse much longer. Of course once that one stops working the nam just sucks excuse is still valid. 

This crap never happens in a rainstorm. There should not be this kind of variance day before a storm. The gfs is still shifting from hot and cold every run. Nam is forecasting for a different planet...

It does too happen in a rainstorm. I remember tracking some of those coastal rainstorms in the warm season and there were huge variances between runs and models on where the banding would set up and other details. We just don't care because it's rain. No one notices when they get .2 instead of .5  qpf in a rainstorm. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, high risk said:

There are no data issues with the American models.    The GFS medium range scores did slip during the end of December / early part of January, but they seem to be recovering.

Thanks. You think some of the reports are just attempts to put public pressure to end the shutdown?  

1 minute ago, psuhoffman said:

Thanks. You think some of the reports are just attempts to put public pressure to end the shutdown?  

The GFS medium range scores did drop for sure right after the shutdown started, and a data issue related to the shutdown was suspected.    But no such issue has been found.

• Thanks 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic
  • WxUSAF locked this topic