• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate/Eastern New York

19 minutes ago, rochesterdave said:

Why are 6/18z models less reliable? Lower resolution? Less data input? I’ve always heard less reliable but I never know why? 

Im not going to die on a hill about this but 99.99 percent of the data in the models is not from balloons. So there's no reliability issues between 12z and 18z. In fact, model verification scores would tell you that an 18z 78 hr prog should have less error than the 12z 84 hr prog from 6 hours earlier. Occasionally you will see an abrupt change at 12z or 00z because a ballon happened to catch a poorly sampled shortwave out of the arctic. The cold temps and paralax error in the arctic make mid level shortwaves difficult to "see" via remote sensing from goes satellite. 

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, OSUmetstud said:

Im not going to die on a hill about this but 99.99 percent of the data in the models is not from balloons. So there's no reliability issues between 12z and 18z. In fact, model verification scores would tell you that an 18z 78 hr prog should have less error than the 12z 84 hr prog from 6 hours earlier. Occasionally you will see an abrupt change at 12z or 00z because a ballon happened to catch a poorly sampled shortwave out of the arctic. The cold temps and paralax error in the arctic make mid level shortwaves difficult to "see" via remote sensing from goes satellite. 

Good post.  I was just going on the answer I was told many years ago.  The lack of balloons in off hour runs likely had much greater impact before the advent of recent models.  

I think the quicker trend is important to make this bigger for ny. 18z ecmwf was quicker and better...same with the 18z gfs and fv3 gfs. The 18z ggem appears to be slightly faster than the 12z. I think the forum wants to see that trend continue. Even if the "B team" is 30 percent correct...that will help a great deal. 

Also, very anomalous pwats ahead of the system could cause some undermodeled convection pumping latent heat release into the downsteam ridge. 

P6_GZ_D5_PN_090_0000.gif

P6_GZ_D5_PN_084_0000.gif

ecmwf_pwat_std_conus2_15.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, OSUmetstud said:

I think the quicker trend is important to make this bigger for ny. 18z ecmwf was quicker and better...same with the 18z gfs and fv3 gfs. The 18z ggem appears to be slightly faster than the 12z. I think the forum wants to see that trend continue. Even if the "B team" is 30 percent correct...that will help a great deal. 

Also, very anomalous pwats ahead of the system could cause some undermodeled convection pumping latent heat release into the downsteam ridge. 

Trying to wrap my head around this. So would that process enhance the downstream ridge causing a more NW track?

6 minutes ago, vortmax said:

Trying to wrap my head around this. So would that process enhance the downstream ridge causing a more NW track?

Yea. Its why you often see a bump nw in modeling the last 72 hours or so before a storm. Models cant properly resolve the increasing heights downstream of convection. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, SouthBuffaloSteve said:

Just gonna leave this here...

5c2d413458935bd5336d6dff467c7ee7.jpg

That’s only through 240 hours. Shows 3 more synoptic and 3 more lake events after hour 240. This weekends event will be the kickoff to our winter finally getting started!

Man, if that verified it would be like January 1999 all over again in Toronto.