Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA - Winter 2018-19

pasnownut

9 minutes ago, Atomixwx said:

When was the last time places south and west of Pittsburgh got a decent snowfall? I always consider that part of the state to have similar weather to the rest of the Ohio Valley and never consider it to be much of a haven for heavy snow.

The January 2016 storm crushed places south of us. Allegheny county, as so often seems to be the case, was the cutoff. Places like uniontowb and waynesburg I believe got a foot and a half. Pittsburgh itself got 5 inches or so. It seems that everywhere within 50-100 miles has had huge 12-24 inch storms is the past 5 or 6 years while we always mix it fringe.

As far as miller b’s go, they almost always cause slop for us. My general rule is to move the mix line 50 miles north of forecast. Miller a’s usually miss is to the east.

8 minutes ago, Atomixwx said:

When was the last time places south and west of Pittsburgh got a decent snowfall? I always consider that part of the state to have similar weather to the rest of the Ohio Valley and never consider it to be much of a haven for heavy snow.

2010 pretty much.  2016 was close, but the gradient ran the other direction (from south to north).  Areas in northern WV got >20" but I think the city saw less than five.

Pittsburgh only has four storms in history that have exceeded 20" of snowfall.  Too far west for Miller B's and usually too far northwest for Miller A's.  Plus the orientation of the Appalachians means a warm surge of air rides up the western spine if lows get too close.  The opposite of CAD.  Kind of a terrible place for big snow storms.

34 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Here's your Horst response Carlisle: 

•  

(2/2) The 2nd storm looks to track directly over us, which usually means a variety of precip types. While a 12"+ of snow is likely from northern PA into interior New England. Locally, it's not yet set in stone, but...

(2+) ...I can see a thumping of snow & sleet to start (perhaps a few inches), then a change to rain (pockets of freezing rain?), and a brief change back to snow before ending midday Sunday. The coldest air of the season--a true #ArcticBlast --then drops in for a 2-day visit.

42m

Thanks.  It helps to realize that he really is focused on Lancaster/MU vicinity with his discussions.  Residing 50 miles west helps.  Actually, his verbiage still leaves the door open to sway towards more frozen or freezing at this early point.

2 minutes ago, jwilson said:

2010 pretty much.  2016 was close, but the gradient ran the other direction (from south to north).  Areas in northern WV got >20" but I think the city saw less than five.

Pittsburgh only has four storms in history that have exceeded 20" of snowfall.  Too far west for Miller B's and usually too far northwest for Miller A's.  Plus the orientation of the Appalachians means a warm surge of air rides up the western spine if lows get too close.  The opposite of CAD.  Kind of a terrible place for big snow storms.

One of those had to include November 1950.  Would have loved to have been around to witness that storm.  Newark (NJ) airport had sustained hurricane force winds for 12 hours with torrential rain.

I'm wondering if the I-81 corridor in Cumberland county is going to be where the precipitation type change occurs. Areas north and west of that line from Enola down to Greencastle stay frozen with a solid thump and areas south and east of there deal with a little more liquid. 

Daxx, would that be a close interpretation of the run?

10 minutes ago, CarlislePaWx said:

One of those had to include November 1950.  Would have loved to have been around to witness that storm.  Newark (NJ) airport had sustained hurricane force winds for 12 hours with torrential rain.

You are correct.  1950 is #1, actually, with 27.4" of snow.  The fact that the biggest snow for the area occurred in November tells you all you need to know, really.

In fact, Pittsburgh hasn't even approached a 20" storm in January since 1886.  Basically, it would be unprecedented.