Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA - Winter 2018-19

pasnownut

Just now, daxx said:

I'm sure you will take the 12z icon. Snow, ice and some rain.North and west pounded!

Verbatim I guess but it is phasing back in the Midwest so it eliminates the chances of a little or no phase system early in that run.  Also does a retrograde or transfer vs. drive up into NY like yesterday's GFS.  A solution like this, on game day, will make for a very hard forecast.    

35 minutes ago, BigBen89 said:

ICON was horrible for SWPA. Absolutely horrible.

GFS actually shows rain for Thursday night in SW PA now...and parts of the LSV.  Was not expecting that. 12Z is taking back some of our positive trends from last night.    It has gone back into a phasing scenario, not as extreme as yesterday 12Z but not good for us, and we get a warm rain washing away any front end dump.  Into the 40's for LSV. 

• crankyweatherguy Retweeted Spencer Beers

I don't pay any attention to that back and forth model jumping critique. Creating trends that don't exist except in the construct of the modeling flip flops. If you want to sniff model trends, start with 0z models tonight onward, but maybe even 12z tomorrow as 1st anchor forward.

crankyweatherguy added,

Spencer Beers @beers56
    Replying to @crankywxguy
    Cranky any merit in the south trend being disconnected from the phase

D
l0uZ-Gn3_bigger.jpegE. Horst, MU WIC @MUweather
FollowingFollowing @MUweather
More
Replying to @crankywxguy

Wise words, grasshopper!

7:09 AM - 16 Jan 2019

I always like to read Cranky's stuff and obviously trust Horst. Does anyone know if Cranky was a student of his or anything?  I also posted this because its relevance to the emotions of model run to model run right now, when the experts aren't really taking anything seriously till tomorrow. 

13 minutes ago, bubbler86 said:

GFS actually shows rain for Thursday night in SW PA now...and parts of the LSV.  Was not expecting that. 12Z is taking back some of our positive trends from last night.  

looking at 12z it does have 4" line now down thru extreme SE Pa but track is NW.  Not sure how to take that other than better front end.

3 minutes ago, CarlislePaWx said:

GFS throws surface back up to 40 at MDT at its warmest.  It throws 32 line well up into northern PA.  Throw it out!:wacko:

If it did not almost exactly match the icon for surface features and heights, I would love to but other than surface temps those two runs look too similar unfortunately. 

2 minutes ago, CarlislePaWx said:

GFS throws surface back up to 40 at MDT at its warmest.  It throws 32 line well up into northern PA.  Throw it out!:wacko:

Yeah saw that.  So much for trends.  That's why like I've said before, its best to look from 10000 foot level as parsing all of these details can be slightly maddening (but fun) until we get inside 48-72 hrs.  I get suckered in just like many, but 50/100 mile shifts while good are bad, are expected at this lead time IMO.

Just now, pasnownut said:

Yeah saw that.  So much for trends.  That's why like I've said before, its best to look from 10000 foot level as parsing all of these details can be slightly maddening (but fun) until we get inside 48-72 hrs.  I get suckered in just like many, but 50/100 mile shifts while good are bad, are expected at this lead time IMO.

In this case, and I think you spoke about this last night, it is all about the phasing.  Last night the models tended toward a strung out/separate WAA type situation and today they are beginning to phase back in the midwest.  Whatever happens is surely not what the models show now but I guess I am looking for some type of trend away from the amplified solution. 

6 minutes ago, bubbler86 said:

In this case, and I think you spoke about this last night, it is all about the phasing.  Last night the models tended toward a strung out/separate WAA type situation and today they are beginning to phase back in the midwest.  Whatever happens is surely not what the models show now but I guess I am looking for some type of trend away from the amplified solution. 

CMC was better FWIW...

still gives hope to SE camp (and mauls true CTP/North)

3 minutes ago, bubbler86 said:

Try to find some gems in the rough here....CMC/GEM is still close to a lesser phased solution.  We are still in play here.  

CMC vs GFS at 90hr actually illustrates more of a difference in the thermal column. CMC's low pressure actually a tad further NW than the GFS at that frame but better front end snows. Looks like it has more of an attempt at a secondary coastal low too.

My experience with these types of storms is typically that reality ends up being a bigger fight on p-type transition in the central counties and sometimes the LSV.. especially when theres a good frozen front end and some high pressure above us. Surface-925mb temps aren't easily routed in the ridge and valley region of central PA. This type of track suggests to me a potentially more extended period of icing in the AOO-UNV corridor and between I-80 & I-78 and west of I-81 in the Sus Valley. And I'm talking the track that the 12z guidance is putting up so far. But these regional tendencies don't typically show up on the global ops til pretty late in the game. 

With said regional tendencies in mind, this is the range and situation right now where using ensemble blends and putting more weight on those ops supportive of the general consensus via ensembles is probably the best move to get a rough idea on possible impacts. 

3 minutes ago, MAG5035 said:

CMC vs GFS at 90hr actually illustrates more of a difference in the thermal column. CMC's low pressure actually a tad further NW than the GFS at that frame but better front end snows. Looks like it has more of an attempt at a secondary coastal low too.

My experience with these types of storms is typically that reality ends up being a bigger fight on p-type transition in the central counties and sometimes the LSV.. especially when theres a good frozen front end and some high pressure above us. Surface-925mb temps aren't easily routed in the ridge and valley region of central PA. This type of track suggests to me a potentially more extended period of icing in the AOO-UNV corridor and between I-80 & I-78 and west of I-81 in the Sus Valley. And I'm talking the track that the 12z guidance is putting up so far. But these regional tendencies don't typically show up on the global ops til pretty late in the game. 

With said regional tendencies in mind, this is the range and situation right now where using ensemble blends and putting more weight on those ops supportive of the general consensus via ensembles is probably the best move to get a rough idea on possible impacts. 

I also suspect that whatever is depicted on any given model, the surface temps of many posters here will struggle to turn this into plan rain (except the situation where the low goes west of PA...then we are into the 50's). Regardless of what trends show the word is that PA is in for a complicated winter storm.  If you have read a few of my many posts the last few days you may have noticed I am hoping for a more snowy solution vs. trying to hold on to FRZA with 1/4" an hour rain rates so some of my posts are slanted that way.  

And yea on the CMC I noticed it was quite west but the 540 line stopped advancing between 90 and 96 when the coastal started to influence the situation. 

3 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

It's also once again showing an ugly look at the end of it's run. Hopefully it's wrong. 

The site where I am looking at the UK is a bit hard to make out things but it appears to keep the whole column below freezing for the whole state as it pertains to this weekend but a bit hard to read so hopefully someone posts the maps. 

3 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

It's also once again showing an ugly look at the end of it's run. Hopefully it's wrong. 

MJO has quietly been forecast to make another round through 4-6, though probably not at the magnitude or longevity of December. I wonder if that may be starting to have an affect on the long range stuff a bit. 

3 minutes ago, MAG5035 said:

MJO has quietly been forecast to make another round through 4-6, though probably not at the magnitude or longevity of December. I wonder if that may be starting to have an affect on the long range stuff a bit. 

And Mag, you are the MJO expert for our forum and others as well so it is always interesting to read your thoughts on it.  It is fun (or can be for some) to play the model flipping game some days but the MJO forecasting is hard core Met stuff. In this case if it stays in 4-6 too long it is going to ruin our supposed big hurrah to winter. 

Here's your Horst response Carlisle: 

•  

(2/2) The 2nd storm looks to track directly over us, which usually means a variety of precip types. While a 12"+ of snow is likely from northern PA into interior New England. Locally, it's not yet set in stone, but...

(2+) ...I can see a thumping of snow & sleet to start (perhaps a few inches), then a change to rain (pockets of freezing rain?), and a brief change back to snow before ending midday Sunday. The coldest air of the season--a true #ArcticBlast --then drops in for a 2-day visit.

42m