Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA - Winter 2018-19

pasnownut

Thanks for getting this started!

Here is some good news to start this thread. The 12z GFS gives us 2 snow storms. The first one arrives for New Year’s Eve & drops 3-4 inches of snow for CTP. The second one arrives on January 2nd & puts down another 2 or 3 inches of snow.

This would be a great way to ring in the New Year!

162F80DB-6F0A-4C08-8423-DE437130220D.png

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

Thanks for getting this started!

Here is some good news to start this thread. The 12z GFS gives us 2 snow storms. The first one arrives for New Year’s Eve & drops 3-4 inches of snow for CTP. The second one arrives on January 2nd & puts down another 2 or 3 inches of snow.

This would be a great way to ring in the New Year!

Woo hoo....Bring it on!!!

Just posted this in the MA forum.  As some/most know we are finally seeing a SSW event unfolding (sudden stratospheric warming).  IE its warming up top of the globe, and when this happens, the cold drops south (called downwelling) and where it sets up, can be quite helpful (like neg nao/ao).  Here is a 3d animation.  I've got lots to learn, but find this fascinating.  Hope you enjoy.  This is the PV up where santa's working feverishly FYI.

Nut

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

For tonight’s Christmas Eve Eve event, The 12z NAM ‘s brought better precip down to the I-81 corridor of the LSV & were also are slightly colder than recent runs. 

7DD88905-49D2-4FE8-B0EA-890C009560DC.png

5BC17356-DFD1-416B-8508-A81E5587E0E1.png

8CF48423-BB98-467E-A7EF-E30FFF135E26.png

DE0F141B-497F-4D16-9DA9-17A85BA100E7.png

Of course. I will see the snow clouds to the north...while I watch the rain fall. #tease

1 hour ago, pasnownut said:

Of course. I will see the snow clouds to the north...while I watch the rain fall. #tease

I am torn on this one.  I think we are going to get a lot of snow in January and having absolutely no snow in December (MDT/LSV area) would make the turn about even more drastic/noteworthy.  If we get a few flakes to end the year it is going to end our once in a lifetime no snow in December streak for what would amount to nothing.  Personally give me 2" or more otherwise nothing at all. 

7 minutes ago, bubbler86 said:

For the area below the turnpike it is fairly warm at the moment, with cloud cover already setting in, to hope for accumulating snow tonight.  Upper 40's at most stations.  Dec may end up close to 5 degrees above normal at this rate if we get another late week torch next week. 

The first half of December was below normal.

The second half of November was way below normal.

1 hour ago, bubbler86 said:

For the area below the turnpike it is fairly warm at the moment, with cloud cover already setting in, to hope for accumulating snow tonight.  Upper 40's at most stations.  Dec may end up close to 5 degrees above normal at this rate if we get another late week torch next week. 

Yep. 

I can't ever remember the Susquehanna running this high heading into Christmas. A testament to just how wet it has been. We're getting to the time of year when the river runs high due to snow melt or ice jams. 

4 minutes ago, MAG5035 said:

Well, was worried about warm surface temps maybe affecting any accumulation of snow falling and it turns out it's too warm to even snow. Pretty much all rain here (light) with the moon more than partially visible through the clouds. 

Hope we score the first week of January cause if not we are in for a long snow drought 

1 hour ago, MAG5035 said:

Well, was worried about warm surface temps maybe affecting any accumulation of snow falling and it turns out it's too warm to even snow. Pretty much all rain here (light) with the moon more than partially visible through the clouds. 

Cold enough aloft for snow here, but surface temps too warm at the moment (35 degrees) to accumulate, so it's just white rain.

5 hours ago, canderson said:

Hope we score the first week of January cause if not we are in for a long snow drought 

If we don’t score the first week of January, the potential pattern should get even better toward mid January & onward according to just about every long range & seasonal model.

Anyway, We should have chances at snow by the first week of January.

Thanks to the 8.8 inches of snow in November at MDT, Harrisburg is above normal snow for the season to date.

According to CTP’s daily summary, MDT only averages 4.1 inches of snow through December 23rd.

Even if it doesn’t snow until the first week of January & beyond, Harrisburg will still be in good shape to have another chance at an above average snowfall season.

Reading Horst's latest discussion this afternoon, he is calling for a wild and active January with lots of...rain and some snow. While there might be a 4-7 day period of cold, wintery weather he doesn't see winter locking in through the month.

Merry  Christmas to each of you. Enjoy this special season and let's get ready for what we do best...more rain later this week! :)

Recorded 0.10" of precipitation for last nights white rain to pad the yearly total a bit. If it would have been colder we'd have gotten somewhere around an inch of snow. As for the Sunday and New Year's snow, since I will be sitting in a truck stop in SoCal hopefully soaking up some sunshine, I hope the storms deliver for those of you who want it.

In my case, I will probably see rain in IL, MO, and OK, and perhaps some white stuff along I-40 in NM and AZ. Hopefully nothing big as I have a tight time frame to get out to Los Angeles for Sunday morning delivery.

9 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Reading Horst's latest discussion this afternoon, he is calling for a wild and active January with lots of...rain and some snow. While there might be a 4-7 day period of cold, wintery weather he doesn't see winter locking in through the month.

Merry  Christmas to each of you. Enjoy this special season and let's get ready for what we do best...more rain later this week! :)

Personally I am leaning toward any toss up storms switching over to being more snow than rain as we go into 2019.  The pattern is going to be better and climatology wise we do not need perfect patterns that have blocking, great MJO values, etc......over running and Miller B's can drop a quick 6-12" at any point.  Lets face it, we probably do not want the "polar vortex" sitting near us because 1) It is too damn cold.  2) Suppression becomes so much more likely.  After this blow torch of the last almost 2/3 of December the pattern change, whether to just a better pattern or a great one, is going to supply us with some fun tracking. 

We may need one opportunity (maybe the cutter this Friday) to fall on its sword and set the table for the next opportunity.  

27 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Every good seasonal model & most long range pro forecasters have very much above average snow & cold for the rest of this season.

6 minutes ago, bubbler86 said:

Personally I am leaning toward any toss up storms switching over to being more snow than rain as we go into 2019.  The pattern is going to be better and climatology wise we do not need perfect patterns that have blocking, great MJO values, etc......over running and Miller B's can drop a quick 6-12" at any point.  Lets face it, we probably do not want the "polar vortex" sitting near us because 1) It is too damn cold.  2) Suppression becomes so much more likely.  After this blow torch of the last almost 2/3 of December the pattern change, whether to just a better pattern or a great one, is going to supply us with some fun tracking. 

We may need one opportunity (maybe the cutter this Friday) to fall on its sword and set the table for the next opportunity.  

Agreed.  Pattern looks to be better as we turn the Calendar.  Your right....we also dont need suppression depression.  Cold enough is fine.

Merry Christmas to all my CTP Peeps....and any other lurkers ^_^