• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate/Eastern New York

This was all well forecasted so I'm not surprised its happening. A couple warm days here and there, fortunately these bubbles of warm air are far and few between.  Both the Cold air and pattern IMO are simply reloading for a 2.5 month Winter blitz.  02-03 Analog is KING, IMO, as there were more 50-60 degree days in December 02' than this yr, at least here in the Cuse, but once she realign's and we head back into a +PNA -EPO -NAO and -AO configuration, look out, but its not for a couple more weeks for any real sustained cold, IMO!  Leading up to it, more cold and snow than AN temps!

Here in Oswego County, I'll put money on a White Christmas, but I don't know bout after, lol!  It's really not hard to get 1" of snow in our Lake belts zones but we'll see I guess but Id bet my house!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CNY-WXFREAK said:

This was all well forecasted so I'm not surprised its happening. A couple warm days here and there, fortunately these bubbles of warm air are far and few between.  Both the Cold air and pattern IMO are simply reloading for a 2.5 month Winter blitz.  02-03 Analog is KING, IMO, as there were more 50-60 degree days in December 02' than this yr, at least here in the Cuse, but once she realign's and we head back into a +PNA -EPO -NAO and -AO configuration, look out, but its not for a couple more weeks for any real sustained cold, IMO!  Leading up to it, more cold and snow than AN temps!

Here in Oswego County, I'll put money on a White Christmas, but I don't know bout after, lol!  It's really not hard to get 1" of snow in our Lake belts zones but we'll see I guess but Id bet my house!

Good discussion. "My backyard" is definitely below normal, with lack of any great les bands thus far.

Good point about it not being too tough for 1 inch...at least there is SOME potential for white over the next couple weeks and not a shutout.

1 hour ago, CNY-WXFREAK said:

Agree, mid/late January is the timeframe to watch for. Before that there is nothing worthwhile. 

1 hour ago, wolfie09 said:

Yeah, last year carol had 170" in december, so far this december 13.2" lol

She did see 50" in November though..

IMG_4384.jpg

Hmm, I have had better snow cover than her. But, again, probably because of lack of les.

She sure is a committed lady. My friends here were discussing that the reason her totals are so high is because she is constantly measuring, compared to many others who have measured after some compaction has occurred.

59 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

Hmm, I have had better snow cover than her. But, again, probably because of lack of les.

She sure is a committed lady. My friends here were discussing that the reason her totals are so high is because she is constantly measuring, compared to many others who have measured after some compaction has occurred.

It's really crazy how much you can increase totals with short measuring times, even more so when rhourly rates are high and/or low ratio snows

11 minutes ago, Vicarious said:

It's really crazy how much you can increase totals with short measuring times, even more so when rhourly rates are high and/or low ratio snows

Agreed. I try to follow the 6 hour guideline as close as possible, however with strong LES events it gets tough. Most of us have work, school, etc... so sometimes its tough to get a really accurate figure. 

https://www.weather.gov/gsp/snow

Measure and record the greatest amount of snowfall that has accumulated on your snowboard (wooden deck or ground if board is not available) since the previous snowfall observation. This measurement should be taken minimally once-a-day but can be taken up to four times a day, (every 6 hours) and should reflect the greatest accumulation of new snow observed (in inches and tenths, for example, 3.9 inches) since the last snowfall observation. Snowfall amounts can be measured hourly or at any interval as long as the snow measurement board is NOT cleared more frequently than once every 6 hours

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Vicarious said:

Part of the reason the New England crew scoffs at us and calls it fake snow. We could get a couple feet and record it...and then the next day be down to half of that as snow depth. It was the biggest thing I had to get used to when moving to a lake effect snow region. Snow piles up fast, but compacts just as quickly and has no lasting power in a thaw.