• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate/Eastern New York

Nice post. The bolded is exactly why I stopped posting long range forecasts this year. 

Now, the strat split last year was the real deal...it just came about two weeks too late.  I had to pick up a water heater in snow squalls on what should have been a warm, spring day.  Climatology was working against us by the time it hit.  We had about six weeks of strong, high latitude blocking.  It is no magic bullet as is it likely has messed up some decent winters...but it has helped many to be quite severe in one hemisphere or another. Personally, I think the upcoming pattern will be good, with or without it.  I do think it will initiate strong blocking which could likely help us during what would be warm MJO phases later in January.  I will also add that the eastern half of the forum area probably benefits more from a Greenland block more so than say from the Plateau westward.  The block doesn't necessarily make things frigid(it could most certainly make it very cold), but it slows the jet and allows for more phasing opportunities along the coast.  It makes timing much easier.   Just as we saw with the recent system, a slp that taps the Atlantic is an eastern valley set-up.  Blocking allows for that.  Now, for the western 2/3 of the forum area...seems like you all need storms to cut over the eastern valley or up the spine of the Apps.  La Nina's might even be a better pattern for those areas.  You need a far eastern cutter basically OR you can depend on northwest flow stuff due to a PNA or EPO ridge.  Here in NE TN, a block over Greenland gives us the best of both worlds which is why we understandably like them....northwest flow and coastal genesis stuff.  Now, I am not "all-in" on the strat stuff right now.  Strat splits are like a bull in a China shop if they happen.  Sometimes, they are our friend and sometimes they are not.  But what they are...is really cool.  I suspect this winter they help, but that is simply a guess.

Still watching for the LR ensembles to support the Weeklies run from Monday night.  Every time I think we are getting to that great look...we lose it on the next run.  Overall, the EPS didn't look terrible at 12z.   Pumped a big western ridge as evidenced by 850 temps late in the run.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Man, these models! This pattern! Crap. This is tough to take. One of the longer periods of nothing that I can remember. I still don’t see much to get excited about. At least not for 10 days. 

Oh well. I gotta stop obsessing. The cake is baked- at least in Rochester, BUF and SYR. Enjoy the green Christmas! At least we had a white Thanksgiving! 

• Like 1

Just now, wolfie09 said:

We still have time for that HP to be better positioned..

The system would be forced to undercut it or redevelop which several GEFS members are hinting at..

fv3p_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_30.png

Yeah, I noticed that it goes due north, then due east. We need something to block it from moving north too much. Icon model has the low much farther south than the GFS.

1 hour ago, TugHillMatt said:

Not sure what  you are looking at? Yes, this month has been BORING...but I think many of us in Upstate will have SOME snow on the ground for Christmas. Most models are showing some energy swinging through on Christmas Eve.

I’m looking at ALL the models. The best ones show ROC receiving between 1-3” total by late on the 25th with very marginal temps in between. We’ve been green for 10 days now. Huge rain on the way.

I see that anemic energy for the 24th, it’ll spit rain or snow showers. Is it enough? I don’t think so. 

Upslope folks look marginal but better as does Oswego County. The BUF disco has been the same for days- dull and dreary. 

I really wish I saw something- anything- but I don’t. The euro has been our best hope and I bet it starts coming back to reality. 

14 minutes ago, rochesterdave said:

I’m looking at ALL the models. The best ones show ROC receiving between 1-3” total by late on the 25th with very marginal temps in between. We’ve been green for 10 days now. Huge rain on the way.

I see that anemic energy for the 24th, it’ll spit rain or snow showers. Is it enough? I don’t think so. 

Upslope folks look marginal but better as does Oswego County. The BUF disco has been the same for days- dull and dreary. 

I really wish I saw something- anything- but I don’t. The euro has been our best hope and I bet it starts coming back to reality. 

Dave, I was looking at all of them too. No, nothing big...but there will be flakes flying with some white on the ground in many areas.

1 hour ago, TugHillMatt said:

It seems so much easier to get a crap pattern than a good one...especially this decade.

I still have faith for Jan/Feb. Weak Ninos are usually our best climo. But this pattern is not behaving like one, I think it has something to do with the tropics? A few posters mentioned it. 

• Sad 1

32 minutes ago, wolfie09 said:

U would think we live in boston with zero inches of snow lol

Last time i checked 3 days ago, all ny state ciies were above avg in the snow department..

Eh, people can get frustrated....December has not had much excitement...but that is the case pretty much all over the country right now. We fared better than many, but have joined the club of blah after these past several weeks.

As several have said, this is primetime Lake effect season...and many now see December as wasted.

I can tell you're an eternal optimist, wolfie. :P It balances out the over-negative.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, rochesterdave said:

ROC (at least eastern subs) could eek out a white Christmas:

Given a flow setup for multi-band activity and a lack of long duration
to the west-northwest flow regime, accumulations should be
fairly light, however a few inches will be possible in the
favored areas...with dusting/one half inch totals elsewhere.

A short period of drying and even some clearing will follow Saturday
night before an Alberta Clipper-type system approaches. Weak warm
advection off the deck will allow for light snow to develop as it
enters the picture during the afternoon on Sunday. Once again, even
with weak lift and saturation, efficient snow crystal growth with
the dentritic growth layer dipping into the lifting layer should
allow for some accumulation of snow. This will be largely modulated
by afternoon temperatures at least for a time, so the lower
elevations and more urban areas would be the least likely to see
accumulating snow, however as the system lingers into Sunday night
and eventually northwest flow lake effect snow showers become more
common in its wake, additional chances for accumulating snows exist