• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate/Eastern New York

15 minutes ago, wolfie09 said:

Yea until a wave moves up an arctic front and they are celebrating 30-1 ratios lol Then it is "real" snow..

I personally can't stand that because you end up getting nothing but blowing snow making it pretty terrible for driving. I have no clue if they get as much wind in NE making it not so much of a issue

51 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Agreed. I try to follow the 6 hour guideline as close as possible, however with strong LES events it gets tough. Most of us have work, school, etc... so sometimes its tough to get a really accurate figure. 

https://www.weather.gov/gsp/snow

Measure and record the greatest amount of snowfall that has accumulated on your snowboard (wooden deck or ground if board is not available) since the previous snowfall observation. This measurement should be taken minimally once-a-day but can be taken up to four times a day, (every 6 hours) and should reflect the greatest accumulation of new snow observed (in inches and tenths, for example, 3.9 inches) since the last snowfall observation. Snowfall amounts can be measured hourly or at any interval as long as the snow measurement board is NOT cleared more frequently than once every 6 hours

I believe you posted back in the Nov 2014 storm thread some pictures and one was you shoveling that really showed just how much all the snow compacted(if not you someone did lol). I plow parking lots by south cheektowaga/west seneca area and it was just crazy how I could look at some places I didn't do at all just trying to keep open what I needed to keep up  and compare it to what I plowed earlier. I knew the snow compacted on its own weight but that really showed me just how much it can 

Hey guys. I’m looking for a suggestion on links. 

I like to be able to quickly look at current conditions (especially in text form) for various locations in each state. I used to use weather underground current conditions map which gave me an interactive map showing all of the US and weather fronts and pressures. If I clicked on a state it then gave me a list of cities and their current conditions. 

That site has changed. Any suggestions? 

1 hour ago, TugHillMatt said:

Part of the reason the New England crew scoffs at us and calls it fake snow. We could get a couple feet and record it...and then the next day be down to half of that as snow depth. It was the biggest thing I had to get used to when moving to a lake effect snow region. Snow piles up fast, but compacts just as quickly and has no lasting power in a thaw.

It depends. Early season lake effect snow around here can be heavier then synoptic snow. The liquid equivalent for November 2014 was 1:12 to 1:15 which is extremely heavy stuff. The notion that all lake effect snow is fluff is incorrect. Many lake effect events are actually less fluffy then synoptic. All depends on the lake temp, air aloft, etc...but usually those events are when the lake is higher temps. High 30s/low 40s. Once the lake gets to 32-34 it’s tough to get heavier lake effect. 

8 minutes ago, wolfie09 said:

It also shows the difference in perspective, along the coast 12/1-15/1 is pure powder lol

Yeah Synoptic is almost always heavier than LES except in Nov/Dec. The fluffiest stuff is the arctic front passages with 1:30 type stuff in deep winter. I love that type of snow, so beautiful when it falls.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BuffaloWeather said:

It depends. Early season lake effect snow around here can be heavier then synoptic snow. The liquid equivalent for November 2014 was 1:12 to 1:15 which is extremely heavy stuff. The notion that all lake effect snow is fluff is incorrect. Many lake effect events are actually less fluffy then synoptic. All depends on the lake temp, air aloft, etc...but usually those events are when the lake is higher temps. High 30s/low 40s. Once the lake gets to 32-34 it’s tough to get heavier lake effect. 

Living in West Michigan, the les there was almost always powder with high ratios. This was because it was almost always with Alberta clippers and cold air. If temp was marginal for les, we usually ended up with rain or graupel.

8 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

Living in West Michigan, the les there was almost always powder with high ratios. This was because it was almost always with Alberta clippers and cold air. If temp was marginal for les, we usually ended up with rain or graupel.

Yeah, Erie/Ontario have lower ratio stuff then then Michigan and Superior. 

12 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

After an inch of rain last night and temps around 50, some of our Snow pack is still holding on. Sure is ugly and we took a big hit...but looks more wintry than Syracuse down through Binghamton and as we enter PA on our Christmas travels today.

IMG_20181221_152500.jpg

It’s a different world up there. You lucky bastard!!!:P

• Haha 2

61F at Watertown, 37F at Jamestown. Don’t see that often. Western zones don’t have too far to go. 

18z 3k NAM remains interesting for a lot of zones. Especially Roc east to SYR. Lots of moisture still to work with. It’s a race. 

My best bet is still on upslope areas and Oswego County. I’m still gonna be shocked if kroc ends with over an inch or two. 

13 minutes ago, wolfie09 said:

Some lake effect potential on a NW flow, especially south of Oswego county, maybe max can get in on some..

hi rez Canadian 

943805EA-F61D-41A9-A590-355218DA661B.jpeg

Hopefully!  Hard to think that a White Xmas is possible after today's beautiful weather but looks like we should scrape out a few inches one way or another, thru Sunday.

• Like 1

I drove up the Thruway from Utica this afternoon.  Beautiful blue skies and the temperature hit 69 on my car thermometer around Canastota  As I headed north on 481/81 the temperature started to drop and skies became cloudy.  Before I went home I drove over by the boat launch at Oneida Shores park to see the advection fog on Oneida Lake.  The temperature there was 48 degrees.

• Like 1