Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
November discussion

weathafella

48 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Powderfreak will find the Methuen elevation talk cute.

lol I almost chimed in earlier.  

Discussing 100ft gradients is on another level.  Heck the house across the street is like 100ft higher than mine at 750ft vs 850ft.  But here anything under 1,200ft is the valley.  

I keep trying to think about how much different the winter weather is on the scales discussed in the Methuen convo, and it must be that much more acute near the ocean.  I honestly don't think my neighbor 100ft higher and 100 yards away on Birch Hill Rd gets any more snowfall than my house.

Generally need to see at least 500ft of elevation difference to really see a visible change.

2 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

lol I almost chimed in earlier.  

Discussing 100ft gradients is on another level.  Heck the house across the street is like 100ft higher than mine at 750ft vs 850ft.  But here anything under 1,200ft is the valley.  

I keep trying to think about how much different the winter weather is on the scales discussed in the Methuen convo, and it must be that much more acute near the ocean.  I honestly don't think my neighbor 100ft higher and 100 yards away on Birch Hill Rd gets any more snowfall than my house.

Generally need to see at least 500ft of elevation difference to really see a visible change.

I’d give up 3 kids for 500’ change . Sort of a win win. Shocking I don’t have children 

Topography is always an issue with the weenie when trying to maximize snowfall.  Most of the general public doesn't pay attention to the fine details like we do.  100ft makes a small difference in this area, but not anything most would catch without the trained eye.  The more noticeable differences tend to occur around here when you hit the escarpment zones that climb at least 500 ft on either side of the valley.  

4 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

I’d give up 3 kids for 500’ change . Sort of a win win. Shocking I don’t have children 

:lol:

Now you've got me curious.  I'm walking the dog looking at the very small hills around and I'm like, the top of that hill is like 1,000ft instead of 750ft.  There probably is some event in history where that mattered.  I've never really seen it but I'm sure there was one.

IMG_1325.thumb.JPG.fdf85a0d282f78c8be34a64cd5a55b72.JPG

Or like the church steeple in town gets up to like 900ft elevation.  I wonder how different snowfall is at the top of the steeple to the bottom.  

IMG_1324.thumb.JPG.6f3da58e7bd28bbcbc2d69bfb43afdd1.JPG

Just now, Baroclinic Zone said:

See, this is the whacked out stuff I'm alluding to.  Never was elevation part of the discussion looking for a place to live.  I'd prefer it be less hilly to make driving easier.

I'd like to be 50ft above the surrounding area just so that all of my rain floods other peoples' houses.

3 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

:lol:

Now you've got me curious.  I'm walking the dog looking at the very small hills around and I'm like, the top of that hill is like 1,000ft instead of 750ft.  There probably is some event in history where that mattered.  I've never really seen it but I'm sure there was one.

IMG_1325.thumb.JPG.fdf85a0d282f78c8be34a64cd5a55b72.JPG

Or like the church steeple in town gets up to like 900ft elevation.  I wonder how different snowfall is at the top of the steeple to the bottom.  

IMG_1324.thumb.JPG.6f3da58e7bd28bbcbc2d69bfb43afdd1.JPG

I believe if you weren’t in a valley surrounded by ranges 2000’+ feet either side of you...500’ would certainly make much more of a difference 

7 minutes ago, CTValleySnowMan said:

Topography is always an issue with the weenie when trying to maximize snowfall.  Most of the general public doesn't pay attention to the fine details like we do.  100ft makes a small difference in this area, but not anything most would catch without the trained eye.  The more noticeable differences tend to occur around here when you hit the escarpment zones that climb at least 500 ft on either side of the valley.  

I've always thought elevation differences are more pronounced in SNE than NNE in the grand scheme of things.  Almost like you notice how much it matters a lot more when the overal topography change isn't that big.  Like you notice it more when the local topography change is a larger percentage of the overall elevation changes.  

400ft changes in the mountains doesn't seem to do much but I remember growing up I might've drowned kittens of it gave me 400ft more elevation, lol.  So I get what Pickles is saying.