• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    gotsnow
    Newest Member
    gotsnow
WxUSAF

March 20-21 Storm Banter and Party Thread

IMBY ?  ...I have a 430 flight out of Dulles Thurs afternoon that I am confident about...but friends have a 6am to Jackson Hole.  If this wraps up midnight I would assume flights would only have a slight delay but would you play it safe and sleep at airport hotel weds night in case area roads suck in am?  Traveling from Sterling so not far...

4 minutes ago, gunny23 said:

IMBY ?  ...I have a 430 flight out of Dulles Thurs afternoon that I am confident about...but friends have a 6am to Jackson Hole.  If this wraps up midnight I would assume flights would only have a slight delay but would you play it safe and sleep at airport hotel weds night in case area roads suck in am?  Traveling from Sterling so not far...

So, if you've ever been to an airport and noticed the parking lot etc is cleared but runways look like $hit.. Thats because subcontractors know what they're doing and unfortunately due to air traffic control only certified in house personnel can actually plow the interior airfield. Early and late flights will be the least delayed because there is less air traffic (more plow time). It takes a village

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, gunny23 said:

Sleep in airport hotel, if only to avoid the stress of wondering if roads will allow you to make the flight on time.

My luck, it rains.. if that happens there will be lots of drunk messaging. Asking for forgiveness early for my potential latter state of mind. Beer me

Didn't want to put this in the storm thread, but I kinda disagree with the people saying soil temps don't matter at all for accums. Heat transport says otherwise. Say soil conductivity is 1.5 W/m*k (depends on sand/clay ratio but whatev). Then Heat is conducted at a rate of 1.5 * (dT/dZ) Watts/meter. Assume that rain reaches 2in depth before the storm, with a previous soil temp of 52 degrees (obviously not relevent here, this is just for example). With snow interface at 32 degrees, dT/dZ = (20degKelvin/.051m) =392 kelvin/meter. That gives 1.5 * 392 = 588W/m final conductivity . 32 degree snow melts at about 334000 J/kg. So with one watt being a joule/second and an inch of snow/meter being about 2.5 kg you have about 2.7inches/hour of snowmelt from pure conductive heat transport. Obviously this slows down throughout the storm as the soil cools, but still. 

Hope the AM rain cools this sucker down. 

• Like 1

Just drive to the airport, main roads will be fine. Its march.. state will scrape while spreading and any snow after the initial push will have a hard time sticking. In 2016 i was driving through 2ft because the county and state shutdown (losers) but i still had to check on my sites. 

I own a landscape business, snow removal is my winter business. Soil temp doesn't matter, asphalt temp does. Asphalt holds heat soil doesn't.. soil thaws and freezes on a typical winter day but asphalt will hold its heat until cooled which takes much longer than soil. But, i get your point. Soil also has water content to help with cooling 

1 minute ago, StantonParkHoya said:

I’ll be honest, if you’re in PA, I don’t give a **** how much you’re getting. Please find the appropriate sub to post in.

Cool

6 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

Apparently that was the best/worst NAM run of the winter

Close to the worst pbp I’ve ever seen on a storm. Good god. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Ugh 12K NAM play-by-play by amped is wrong on several levels.

I've learned to skip over his posts... though Randy has put his case about ignoring him

Funny how NYC and NE luck into another monster. 
You could just move there

Well NYC would suck to live in
But Boston would be okay

If not for all the snow

So, as far as timing... my weather channel app says mixed precipitation starting around 6am... guess they are gonna wait to cancel school until then? They canceled for way less this year lol. I haven't heard or seen any delays or cancellations. 

1 minute ago, PhineasC said:

They almost never miss out, especially PHL and NYC. Models always end up hitting them in the end.

Yup, 09-10 was about the only time i remember where they got hosed. I'll enjoy my 3-6" :)

10am today and I think to myself, "I wonder if I am getting sick".  2pm rolls around and I'm pretty sure I am.  By 8pm, I have a fever of 102.1F and feel HORRIBLE.  Not a good way to roll into the best storm of the season.  Boooooooooooooooo.........

• Sad 2