Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Confidence increases for coastal storm threat along Eastern Seaboard

Typhoon Tip

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

I would really like to get a good WAA infusion...the lead wave sort of robs us of that so we have to wait for things to reorganize a bit...we would prob get pretty decent snows from the CCB/deformation, but the totals would likely be sub-double digits.

But we're not done yet with this obviously, things can still change. We did get closer to wrapping in more moisture from the lead wave this run.

Was lead wave stronger or just more north

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, ORH_wxman said:

900mb is frigid...like -6C. That would be sfc temps in like the low to mid 20s during precip over interior.  

yeah... I realize I mentioned the stuff about needing a colder SD air mass to offset the time of year...and that's still true - but.. heh, low and behold, huh -jesus

7 minutes ago, wxsniss said:

Huge hit hour 60... 

This actually reminds me a little of the blizzard last week, big differences being (1) the initial setup is more disjointed due to stronger 1st shortwave, Will has been harping on this, (2) the whole setup closes off further south as currently depicted for maximum impact at our lattitude, and (3) more confluence

Plenty of time for all 3 of those factors to correct

Great post.

This is why I think this ends up more moderate, which is fine. Still time to up ante, but don't think it gets there this time.

A couple things on the NAM.

1) It's damn cold in the boundary layer. No problem sticking to the roads even during the day with that look. BDL is like 25ish Wednesday afternoon. 

2) I don't like the occluded/filling look underneath us. We get into the CCB but rates overall should diminish through the day as the storm weakens. Would really like to see the double thump of WAA then the CCB so that's sort of a bummer.

Normally in late March I'd see #2 and say take the big under... but given how cold things are... I think we're in good shape. 

This is an ideal solution as far as 'maximizing what is available' ?  

That's a pretty narrow corridor of substantive QPF there ... it's durational in nature, too. That looks like a solid 15 hours of a cryo-hosing from that CCB conveyor ... almost cookie-cut collocated over SNE to NYC corridor.  Amounts fall off fast N of the Rt 2... 

But, we still have (easily) acceptable margins of error here - guessing up to 50 or so miles... even at this time lead. 

The KU nature of this system is being well described in the FRH grid...  Check out PHL!!!!  By the way "KU" just means typology from their reviews -

24000697361 -6610 130616 40990000   
30039929251 11513 080525 44990000   
36075936430 07912 050423 45990199   
42014926639 00609 010421 44990000   
48010909141 -0105 980423 42999400   
54030959435 10112 983619 39999400   
60045988841 -2514 023418 36009794 

The other thing is that the dynamics may be weaker, ...but, when we collocate the 700 and 500mb you get an usually deep easterly flow anomaly for a number of hours, and you can big results from moderate mechanics working on a deep pwat airmass...  There's weird ways these things can offset and over(under) produce rather unexpectedly when combining factors in different measures -

2 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

The other thing is that the dynamics may be weaker, ...but, when we collocate the 700 and 500mb you get an usually deep easterly flow anomaly for a number of hours, and you can big results from moderate mechanics working on a deep pwat airmass...  There's weird ways these things can offset and over(under) produce rather unexpectedly when combining factors in different measures -

Yea, air mass is better than the blizzard...true.

20 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

The NAM's been doing this occasionally over the last day and half worth of cycles where it brings the balance of QPF to NYC as wind driven bullet sleet 

It also had nothing for those areas a couple runs back. 

Best not to get too invested in the Nam right now.

3 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

It also had nothing for those areas a couple runs back. 

Best not to get too invested in the Nam right now.

the statement was made to draw attention to a plausible outcome?  I really don't get 'invested' if by that context you mean depending on a particular model.  I mean the NAM is not (obviously) that trusting at this range regardless, but, seeing that sleety solution so often does give some pause. 

Scott's right .. but it model per model, those sigma levels can certainly be deduced for >90% RH ... Climo for this sort of synoptic (talking relative to the NAM solution) evolution ...these don't typically have moisture challenges.  Stranger things have happened.

23 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

the statement was made to draw attention to a plausible outcome?  I really don't get 'invested' if by that context you mean depending on a particular model.  I mean the NAM is not (obviously) that trusting at this range regardless, but, seeing that sleety solution so often does give some pause. 

I meant trusting it at that range, not that the outcome can't occur. There's a decent amount of mid-level warmth that can't be ignored.

Archived