SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March 20-21 Potential - STORM MODE THREAD

stormtracker

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GFS notably weaker with the warm nose tomorrow vis-à-vis the NAM. I would lean to the 3k NAM for the thermal profile. 

We’ll see what the king says in two hours, but I think coating-2” of sleet tomorrow plus 3-6” of snow looks like a solid forecast ATT for most of NoVA and central MD.

1 minute ago, supernovasky said:

Interestingly, Kuchera is an improvement over 10:1 for a lot of people. Is wave 2 supposed to be high ratio?

Yeah I was surprised at how much it showed. I think I'll trust the snow depth maps over Kuchera, as much as I love seeing myself in purple, simply because of the ratios, duration, and the time of the year.

2 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Now look at the eastern shore during the height. THIS is heavy snow. Look at the omegas in the dgz. Low viz heavies right there

39AWMDh.jpg

That supports the long standing rule of being just west of the r/s line is gets it the best.  you need to be on the correct side of that to really cash in 

GFS notably weaker with the warm nose tomorrow vis-à-vis the NAM. I would lean to the 3k NAM for the thermal profile. 
We’ll see what the king says in two hours, but I think coating-2” of sleet tomorrow plus 3-6” of snow looks like a solid forecast ATT for most of NoVA and central MD.

This is my forecast to a T for my buddy in your neck of the woods. I can see some upside too in the snow. Tomorrow is going to get quite loud during the day with all the sleet. Would be nice to catch a rumble of thunder. Soundings look good. If this was only a month sooner man.

3 minutes ago, mappy said:

so, I've been trying to tell @H2O all morning he had nothing to worry about, that wave 2 could be money for you guys, hopefully he will listen to me now. 

I've been consistently on the side of this will be an ok storm all morning.  ;)

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
National Weather Service Baltimore MD/Washington DC
1206 PM EDT Mon Mar 19 2018

MDZ501-502-WVZ050-055-501>506-200015-
/O.NEW.KLWX.WS.A.0004.180320T2100Z-180321T2100Z/
Extreme Western Allegany-Central and Eastern Allegany-Hampshire-
Hardy-Western Grant-Eastern Grant-Western Mineral-Eastern Mineral-
Western Pendleton-Eastern Pendleton-

...WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM TUESDAY AFTERNOON THROUGH
WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON...

* WHAT...Heavy snow possible. Total snow accumulations of 5 inches
  or more are possible.

* WHERE...Portions of western Maryland and eastern West Virginia.

* WHEN...From Tuesday afternoon through Wednesday afternoon.

8 minutes ago, MillvilleWx said:

This is my forecast to a T for my buddy in your neck of the woods. I can see some upside too in the snow. Tomorrow is going to get quite loud during the day with all the sleet. Would be nice to catch a rumble of thunder. Soundings look good. If this was only a month sooner man.

Oh man if it was only mid February...

yeah, certainly Wednesday has upside potential for somebody. Banding always creates winners and losers. And elevation will play a role as well of course.

Just now, nj2va said:

LWX starting to roll out WSW.

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
National Weather Service Baltimore MD/Washington DC

MDZ501-502-WVZ050-055-501>506-200015-
/O.NEW.KLWX.WS.A.0004.180320T2100Z-180321T2100Z/
Extreme Western Allegany-Central and Eastern Allegany-Hampshire-
Hardy-Western Grant-Eastern Grant-Western Mineral-Eastern Mineral-
Western Pendleton-Eastern Pendleton-

...WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM TUESDAY AFTERNOON THROUGH
WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON...

* WHAT...Heavy snow possible. Total snow accumulations of 5 inches
  or more are possible.

* WHERE...Portions of western Maryland and eastern West Virginia.

* WHEN...From Tuesday afternoon through Wednesday afternoon.

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...Plan on difficult travel conditions in snow.
  Significant reductions in visibility are also possible.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A Winter Storm Watch means there is potential for significant
snow, sleet or ice accumulations that may impact travel. Continue
to monitor the latest forecasts.

Yep, but only for the far western areas.

I can see why they're keeping it limited, since it's hard to justify warning criteria for most since this is all coming over a period of over 24 hours and two waves. If it was 3-6" in 12 hours or less, then a watch/warning would make more sense.

18 minutes ago, WestminsterSnowCapitalMA said:

24 hours to go not even a WATCH yet, and during rush hour, LWX better got on it. 

I am somewhat surprised they havent hoisted watches for at least the northern tier, and West of the BR.   In the past, they have put them up for borderline events, if only to drop them to advisories later on.

Edit:   well, nvm.   some are rolling out now.

Just now, yoda said:

NW VA is over a foot through 36

Spread is significantly narrow with 12z so far. We can be pretty comfortable that wave 2 is going to do "it". The jack zones are inherently tricky. No sense reading into that piece until probably this time tomorrow. I expect as usual to fall in between the big and little totals. I always do. 4" is becoming likely now. I think my max is 6". That part of my thought process hasn't changed. I can see how it could break better but it's low odds proposition. 

Looking good in HoCo along Georgia Ave! I see 4” to maybe 6-7 max by Bob down in Rockville. More like 6-8 lollipop 10” up by me. Another typical storm where snow totals will increase an inch every few miles along Georgia  ave. I think latitude will help, not just The classic NW to SE setup. Major snows coming for Frederick and points west. Olney and points north see WSW snowfall in my opinion. Bob is real close to low level WSW totals. 

Thays my guess. I really like the upper air look on 12z overall. Not concerned about meso and QPF totals. Don’t be suckered in people. 7-1” ratios tops unless it’s at night. 

Lwx still not that inpressed. 

Low pressure will develop off the Mid-Atlantic Coast Tuesday. 
Another area of low pressure may impact the area Tuesday night. 
There is a slight winter storm threat Tuesday through early 
Wednesday. If the threat materializes, travel disruptions may 
result.

We have pretty good agreement on the 12Z's so far that Leesburg and west will start as snow and most likely stay snow for the event. The northern Shenandoah Valley up 81 and west out to Deep Creek seem to be the favored area with wave one. There is a lull out here from midday Tuesday until Tuesday evening of very light snow. But once the coastal gets cranking we go over to good rates again. The details need to be worked out on banding features with the coastal. But it seems north east would  be favored areas for that. I am thinking 5-8 is the most realistic call for my area. With possible 10+ upside depending on any banding and elevation. 

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic

Archived