Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Morch Madness Negative NAO Long Range discussion

Ji

1 minute ago, psuhoffman said:

It's not, so maybe...but its closer in time AND pretty locked in universally on guidance so while I am not ruling out a shift our better hope right now IMO is for it to evolve the way we need it to AFTER that ugly look a week from now.  I am not punting the first week of March because I want to...I am punting because its 4th and 10 on my own 20 yard line with 2:30 left with 3 timeouts and my better chance is to hope my defense can hold and get me the ball back one last time. 

It is March and you have the Browns defense.

• Replies 981
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Ji said:

we probably wont have deep cold like we did a few marchs ago where we got 8 inches of powder.....so without deep cold...a normal snowstorm will never stick....so basically we are in the position where its  HECS or bust

I kind of agree with this...with the caveot that a strong storm could lead to a few inches of wet snow like the late March 84 bomb did NW of the cities.  But it will take a dynamic storm probably with marginal cold in mid march.  But this is a pattern that can create such a storm. 

Just now, Interstate said:

It is March and you have the Browns defense.

and you still have to punt the ball... odds are your going to lose that game no matter what you do... odds are we arent going to win here no matter what...just saying IMO our better chance is that it evolves towards a better look after March 7th not praying all the models are really wrong with the look day 5-7.  Hope I am wrong.

Just now, psuhoffman said:

and you still have to punt the ball... odds are your going to lose that game no matter what you do... odds are we arent going to win here no matter what...just saying IMO our better chance is that it evolves towards a better look after March 7th not praying all the models are really wrong with the look day 5-7.  Hope I am wrong.

if we don't count March its really only 7 months until we start hunting again...8 months until serious tracking. 

People need to have realistic expectations also. Anyone thinking we are getting some kind of epic finish to erase all the pain before is going to be let down.  What's done is done.  We are Like a 2-10 team heading into December just trying to win the last few games to save the coaches job at this point.  We're not making the playoffs.

Even those "epic" march blocking years we throw around like 1958, 1962, 1965, 1969, 1999 the 95 corridor didn't get epic totals.  Most of the big storms those years were only 4-8" in the cities  (less at DCA) and the 10" plus was nw of the fall line.  

Anyone in the urban corridor that wouldn't be thrilled with a 4" wet snow paste event out of this might as well stop and just move on because that's what we're tracking realistically here.  The chance of more then that is so remote as to be not worry considering it.  If the miracle happens then so be it.  For those of us NW maybe a bit more is possible but again JI if your not happy if leesburg gets a 6" wet snow thump then your just setting yourself up for pain.  

Stop trying to win December to February.  We lost those games.  We're just trying to win march now.  

5 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

People need to have realistic expectations also. Anyone thinking we are getting some kind of epic finish to erase all the pain before is going to be let down.  What's done is done.  We are Like a 2-10 team heading into December just trying to win the last few games to save the coaches job at this point.  We're not making the playoffs.

Even those "epic" march blocking years we throw around like 1958, 1962, 1965, 1969, 1999 the 95 corridor didn't get epic totals.  Most of the big storms those years were only 4-8" in the cities  (less at DCA) and the 10" plus was nw of the fall line.  

Anyone in the urban corridor that wouldn't be thrilled with a 4" wet snow paste event out of this might as well stop and just move on because that's what we're tracking realistically here.  The chance of more then that is so remote as to be not worry considering it.  If the miracle happens then so be it.  For those of us NW maybe a bit more is possible but again JI if your not happy if leesburg gets a 6" wet snow thump then your just setting yourself up for pain.  

Stop trying to win December to February.  We lost those games.  We're just trying to win march now.  

4 inches would be fine with me... I could actually go sledding with my kids for once.

Pretty exciting storm. How many times have we had a 970s mb low off the Delmarva coast? 

The pattern after that is fine. -PNA is in a phase out part of cycle. 

March 6-8 looks interesting

When there is a strong +Atlantic ridge DJF (this winter was +30% of normal) the March pattern is above normal precip everywhere in the US in an average of +11/-11(22) years.... 

16 minutes ago, BristowWx said:

if we don't count March its really only 7 months until we start hunting again...8 months until serious tracking. 

But why stop now?  If you tracked all through this lousy winter why stop about a week from the finish line. Realistically if we get through the next week and the better look March 10-15 deteriorates then it's over and time to put it to bed. But why run the whole marathon then stop 100 yards from the finish line?  Suck it up and gut out the home stretch. 

Just now, Cobalt said:

Well said @psuhoffman

We're basically out of the game for climo. Unless we get a freak March HECS, that is completely off the table. I'm pretty sure many of us would be happy with 2" of wet snow at this point.

no we wouldnt. nobody would be happy with 2 inches of wet snow

Look at this way. This is probably IT! I mean, we have this last window for the year. As of now, at least it is still open even if it is only a bit more than a crack. If we fail, the season is over, Accuwx subscription expires, I get out the fishing gear (ok that is already out) - You get the idea. At least there is a chance.  You go into hibernation @ji

We start looking for severe next! (ok we always do.. but that is what is next)

6 minutes ago, midatlanticweather said:

Look at this way. This is probably IT! I mean, we have this last window for the year. As of now, at least it is still open even if it is only a bit more than a crack. If we fail, the season is over, Accuwx subscription expires, I get out the fishing gear (ok that is already out) - You get the idea. At least there is a chance.  You go into hibernation @ji

We start looking for severe next! (ok we always do.. but that is what is next)

i like severe...would never spend a second tracking it

52 minutes ago, Chris78 said:

Looking at the GEFS  mean the day 9 thing doesn't look half bad but it's hard to tell by just the mean. 

A question for someone with acess to individual members . How do they look? Any decent hits in there?

gfs-ememb_lowlocs_us_37.png

gfs-ens_apcpn24_us_33.png

There is a signal for the nw 1/3 of our region. Lots of snowy solutions for that period there. Not much se of the fall line. But a big change from last run. Most of this is from the day 8-10 period. Last run same time below. 

IMG_4284.thumb.PNG.751754a77d45c5554806404178f14587.PNG

IMG_4285.thumb.PNG.eb9a8a94f554da9b2b73ddc9c8ec855e.PNG

Archived