joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 8th-11th Overrunning Event

Snowstorms

• Replies 974
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NAM is like the MN Vikings of models.   But that's probably  even an insult to the NAM.   I thought this 18Z NAM would be like the start of the Vikings driving for what would have been a game-winning field goal and had called a timeout before huddling up on third-and-10 from the Saints' 33.   This NAM system feels more like the,1998 NFC Championship Game - You Effed up Gary and kicked it wide left.

Just now, UMB WX said:

steady. I've seen this play by the NAM never come to fruition in this time range over and over and over so many times over the yrs.  Never say never I guess.

I mean, every system is different of course but the nam did do this for a time with the Monday system while the gfs held south, and the gfs won. Again anything’s possible but I see your point. 

26 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

It was when I posted, through 42 hrs or so.

I think it is a bit amped up, I would lean more so on the 3km which is much more within the consensus. The 12km even tries to bring rain into this area, I don't buy that for one second, especially looking at the thicknesses.

I'll go with a first guess of 10-14"... event total, but most of it falling before Saturday.  Leaning away from the drier Euro and more toward the consensus, including the 3 km NAM which should be useful given mesoscale banding.  I think it's possible that even that is a bit conservative if that heavy band really performs and doesn't wobble away prematurely, but I feel like this is the reasonable/likely but not snowiest possible outcome.

Sorry for asking when it might be easy to find, but where can I locate GFS and NAM maps?  I used to have them bookmarked on my old computer, but after it crashed and had to get a new one, everything is gone.  I would love to be able to see the differences in NAM and GFS in regards to me and my best friend's parents that I help care for who are 45 minutes south of me.  Thanks in advance guys.

Here are the approximate 60-hr precip totals on the IL/WI border, per the 18z models.  Can worry about the following 36 hours (Wave 2) later; wanted to focus on Wave 1 for now.

NAM:  1.1"

3-km NAM:  0.8"

GFS:  0.4"

Using 14:1 ratios (which seems reasonable at this point), that means a snowfall range of 5" to 15" for Wave 1.  Just reinforces that it's still too far out to pin anything down.  Should have better sampling for 00z runs tonight, at which time the goal posts should narrow a bit.

2 minutes ago, DAWGNKITTEN said:

Sorry for asking when it might be easy to find, but where can I locate GFS and NAM maps?  I used to have them bookmarked on my old computer, but after it crashed and had to get a new one, everything is gone.  I would love to be able to see the differences in NAM and GFS in regards to me and my best friend's parents that I help care for who are 45 minutes south of me.  Thanks in advance guys.

Pivotalweather.com is a nice, simple site to view models on. There’s also wxbell.com or tropicaltidbits.com

4 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

I'll go with a first guess of 10-14"... event total, but most of it falling before Saturday.  Leaning away from the drier Euro and more toward the consensus, including the 3 km NAM which should be useful given mesoscale banding.  I think it's possible that even that is a bit conservative if that heavy band really performs and doesn't wobble away prematurely, but I feel like this is the reasonable/likely but not snowiest possible outcome.

My concern is that even within the zone of preferred heaviest snowfall, mesoscale banding could greatly vary what falls in certain areas. Also, NWS Chicago briefly mentions lake enhancement, which would obviously bump up totals in NW Indiana and SW Michigan...

6 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

1112.jpg

Archived