Newest Member
    joxey
January 11-13 Winter Storm

Hoosier

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Harry Perry said:

I’m willing to bet the Euro will be atleast a bit east and more suppressed. 

You have not followed many systems have you or even this one it seems? 00z runs have been further nw while 12z is further se.. It is the one continuing theme with that model for the past few years. Thing is which will cave the 00z or 12z? One usually does and i am not sure to be honest? Has been a while.

Just now, Harry said:

With THESE models it is still too early for that. Plus i think there is a thread for that anyways?

I don't know Harry,  it's not like its 4 days out...we're down to inside 72 hours, it would be a model whiplash like I've never seen for this to go back to some of those IN to MI blasts 

2 minutes ago, blackrock said:

You mean when the east coast is getting the snowstorm? :P 

This won't fail like that.  If it fails it'll simply be a result of petering out in a progressive flow.

2 minutes ago, buckeye said:

I don't know Harry,  it's not like its 4 days out...we're down to inside 72 hours, it would be a model whiplash like I've never seen for this to go back to some of those IN to MI blasts 

This won't fail like that.  If it fails it'll simply be a result of petering out in a progressive flow.

Well that will be something we can all celebrate together. lol

11 minutes ago, blackrock said:

This is all typical of the Midwest winter. First low goes far north and gives us warmth and destroys the snowpack for those of us who have one...and then another low completely misses us to the east. Weak systems moving in on a fast flow and lake effect snow showers it is...

Just goes to show how historic GHD 2011 was. Not sure if we'll ever see something quite like that again.

2 minutes ago, buckeye said:

If it was a few years ago i would agree but these models have gotten me a few times especially lately inside of 72 hrs.. If the euro caves then yeah it is a done deal. Either way good luck. :)

One thought is there is full sampling of the upper low that will cause the first storm for the 0z runs, and maybe a bit of partial sampling for the next shortwave that will eventually become the "threat" we're watching.  Perhaps that caused the changes we've seen so far.  That said, we won't get full sampling of that second shortwave until 0z Thursday, so I wouldn't give up hope for some bump back stronger/northwest until then.  We don't get sampling of the "kicker" until 0z Friday, though by then I'm not sure how much of a difference it'll make, but could be small changes.  Another concern is the role convection plays, which will always give the models trouble.  Hard to guess which way it'll influence the storm ultimately, though the GFS/NAM/CMC all have a little jump east towards convection over the south which is somewhat fishy.  Chicago is probably pretty much out of this, but IN/MI still have some hope to cling to for the time being.  I'm becoming more optimistic locally, though the risk for a more southeast/moderate storm that doesn't produce huge totals has clearly increased.  

7 minutes ago, WxMatt21 said:

The weeping, wailing and gnashing of teeth came out in full force this evening. You would almost swear the big day was tomorrow and we didn't have two more full days of model data and flip flopping to stress over!

Haven’t heard much in the way of that quite yet.. just wait a day or two haha.

Archived