joxey
January 11-13 Winter Storm

Hoosier

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Chicago Storm said:

The NAM didn’t have any convective feedback. Some of you are grasping straws

You are incorrect, there is very obvious convective feedback with the low location jumping east along the frontal convection which pulls the main low east. If you can't see this, I don't know what to tell you.

2 minutes ago, Snowstorms said:

There does appear to be some convective feedback issues. 

However, the NAM did pretty well with that east coast blizzard. We'll see if changes occur as we get closer.

Yeah because it trended west for 48 hours straight right before the event.

Just now, snowlover2 said:

The track on the 0z NAM in the end really didn't change much if at all from its 18z. The low on the 18z bounced a bit too but its generally the same track 0z run was just colder.

It is east compared to the 18z... And both suffered from the same issues...

imo, the double barrel type structure with the 1002 mb low in SC would not be there if there weren't convection occurring in the same area.  How much that is affecting the overall output is debatable and probably hard to figure out, but I think it's something you have to at least be mindful of.  It is particularly important for areas riding the edge.

namconus_ref_frzn_seus_47.thumb.png.08e27d9337011b3fb9c1895218f9fd60.png

namconus_ref_frzn_seus_48.thumb.png.a5d4c0a2f53f11bcf37e31915568b451.png

What caused the surface low to jump around then?

You are incorrect, there is very obvious convective feedback with the low location jumping east along the frontal convection which pulls the main low east. If you can't see this, I don't know what to tell you.

I don’t see the low jumping around.

The surface wind field reflection is still tucked in with the lowest pressure that runs up west of the Apps. 850 low runs just to the NW in the same path.

The lower pressure that runs up east of the Apps is driven by convection, but not really convective feedback. It’s not like we’re seeing the whole surface wind reflection and full low pressure all shift east and be displaced from the UL’s.

The NAM is definitely a viable solution.

Just now, Chicago Storm said:

I don’t see the low jumping around.

The surface wind field reflection is still tucked in with the lowest pressure that runs up west of the Apps. 850 low runs just to the NW in the same path.

The lower pressure that runs up east of the Apps is driven by convection, but not really convective feedback. It’s not like we’re seeing the whole surface wind reflection and full low pressure all shift east and be displaced from the UL’s.

The NAM is definitely a viable solution.

The weaker pressure is with the low associated with the convection, which pulls the main low to the right as well. In relation to the 500mb pattern the low should be further northwest from 54 hours and beyond. It is the epitome of convective feedback modulating the mass fields and screwing with the surface low track.

The weaker pressure is with the low associated with the convection, which pulls the main low to the right as well. In relation to the 500mb pattern the low should be further northwest from 54 hours and beyond. It is the epitome of convective feedback modulating the mass fields and screwing with the surface low track.

Keep trying, stebo.

The main low rides west of the Apps and is clearly visible. There is no true convective feedback this run. The surface reflection is not displaced from the UL’s. Plain and simple.

I know you want the storm, but come on.

23 minutes ago, Chicago Storm said:

The NAM didn’t have any convective feedback. Some of you are grasping straws

Have to disagree those early East jogs and pauses in deep Dixie look unnatural. They're called parameterization "schemes" for a reason, lol. Think this Nam run likely displaced by about 50-75 miles too far east. However at 72/84 out still time for larger scale energy to alter the course by decent amount anyways

Just now, Chicago Storm said:

Keep trying, stebo.

The main low rides west of the Apps and is clearly visible. There is no true convective feedback this run. The surface reflection is not displaced from the UL’s. Plain and simple.

I know you want the storm, but come on.

Keep trying what? Dude I know what I am talking about here, you are incorrect.  I know you want to just troll, but come on.

Archived