Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Jan 3-4th Coastal Crusher OBS

buckeyefan1

• Replies 624
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, Rankin5150 said:

Is there anyone from Louisiana, Alabama, Georgia and Florida that can throw some obs at us. I am curious to know what all is going on down in Florida / Georgia ATTM. What you no good @beanskip?

Sorry, duty called. We had an interesting event in Tallahassee. Precip was late to arrive -- by "arrive" I mean break through the single digit DPs that it encountered around midnight. Models showed first precip at 2-3 a.m. but it wasn't until 6 a.m. that anything made it through. We had a couple hours of light ZR and drizzle and sleet, then a magnificent 30-45 minutes of moderate snow -- big heavy flakes. I swear I think everybody in Tallahassee was out on their porch just marveling, knowing it's a sight that may not been seen again in Tallahassee in their lifetimes. It almost covered the ground before changing to sleet and ending.

Total measured precip at TLH was .03 -- just a fraction of what the NAM showed. GFS/HRRR were more in line on precip. Totals were higher to the east.

Still, it was magnificent and now it's all gone and I'm back at work!

1 minute ago, sctvman said:

We have legit 1.5-2” an hour snow right now. And some of it is blowing. Who knows where we are going to end up here.

Local mets say only a couple more hours of the heavy stuff and then it all winds down here in the Charleston area. Quite the storm here in the Charleston area.

6 minutes ago, fig said:

33 and slowly dropping with a cold light rain in ILM right now.. 

Mental note to myself tomorrow when I go to shovel my 2 inches of sleet/snow...this is what's going to be ice tomorrow for sure.  

The temp has dropped to 33 here in ILM also...looks like a heavy band about to come onshore.  It is mostly rain at the moment with maybe a little sleet mixed in.

4 minutes ago, OpAck said:

Mental note to myself tomorrow when I go to shovel my 2 inches of sleet/snow...this is what's going to be ice tomorrow for sure.  

The temp has dropped to 33 here in ILM also...looks like a heavy band about to come onshore.  It is mostly rain at the moment with maybe a little sleet mixed in.

Yep and it's starting to freeze on elevated surfaces.. so only a matter of time I think before sidewalks and side streets start having issues. Tomorrow morning's commute is going to be a mess.

Yeah, it's definitely frozen precip now.  Pretty deceiving because it looks like just a cold rain.  Almost did a header into concrete coming down my steps.  Heh.

I know the city of Wilmington closed up at 3 today...hopefully everyone else is getting where they need to go, because it's going downhill and fast with this ice.

4 minutes ago, TARHEELPROGRAMMER88 said:

ILM is about to get screwed on QPF and might not see any snow at all :+( current radar not impressive here as usual.

You have got to be the most negative person I've ever seen on these message boards...

Archived