Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 4th 2018 Fish Bomb

Rjay

2 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

One thing that I haven't seen much talk about, is that this system seems to have a very strong Eastern side. I wonder if that's because it has some hybrid or warm core characteristics? 

Earlier model runs had that double barreled low, struggling with that strong convection. I can't keep but wonder if models have that Northeast quadrant too intense, and are wrongfully dragging the surface low towards it.

I'm still convinced we will see a band set up somewhere between NEPA and Long island, I think the convection over the atlantic is too strong, and the Neg tilt wont hurt either 

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, MANDA said:

Very reasonable forecast based off current guidance.  Anything above those numbers is wishcasting.

While the forecast is very reasonable bumping up those numbers slightly would not be wishcasting IMO. The globals continue to increase QPF with each run and the meso's in general have a higher QPF output and then there are the better than climo ratio's in some locales. Look at the water vapor loop and radar and tell me that higher totals would be such a surprise. 

1 minute ago, HeadInTheClouds said:

While the forecast is very reasonable bumping up those numbers slightly would not be wishcasting IMO. The globals continue to increase QPF with each run and the meso's in general have a higher QPF output and then there are the better than climo ratio's in some locales. Look at the water vapor loop and radar and tell me that higher totals would be such a surprise. 

Agreed. Right now I'm thinking 4-10 in the city (higher end stretched for boom potential), general 3-6 just west of the city, with a whole range of higher amounts out on the island. But making calls at this point is more an attempt at being correct than accurate. 

Just now, ILoveWinter said:

Are we not dealing with the kicker now? What would be causing it’s easterly track?

Bernie Rayno seems to think that the reason for the Eastern track is because the models were initially focusing on that lead vort that I've been mentioning for over a week now and are finally correcting West because they are realizing that the shortwave over the deep South is the one that generates the storm. He says the problem after that is because the trough isn't negatively tilted enough.

4 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

Bernie Rayno seems to think that the reason for the Eastern track is because the models were initially focusing on that lead vort that I've been mentioning for over a week now and are finally correcting West because they are realizing that the shortwave over the deep South is the one that generates the storm. He says the problem after that is because the trough isn't negatively tilted enough.

Thanks 

17 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

The 500mb jet is certainly negatively tilted on the Euro, and it should be drawing the system up and in rather than up and out.

sketched_5a4d21fd1bce8.png

Excellent post. We need more posts like this using meteorology rather just relying on QPF outputs. I think the euro is solid on the far western side but way underdone where the deform should be over the eastern part of subforum. The Twin forks are going to have a real blizzard with 3” rates and 60mph wind gusts. Similar to what the city had during Boxing Day. 

15 minutes ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

I'm still convinced we will see a band set up somewhere between NEPA and Long island, I think the convection over the atlantic is too strong, and the Neg tilt wont hurt either 

Yup.  Painting a west to east gradient is probably necessary for forecasting right now, but it isn't going to work out that way.  12+ under a good def band could happen over the twin forks, or it could be well west of that.  NNJ is probably a stretch, but there could be some good snows close to the western edge of this thing.  HV isn't a lock for only light to moderate snows yet.

Archived