Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 4th 2018 Fish Bomb

Rjay

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Brasiluvsnow said:

ok excuse my ignorance NOVICE here but what exactly is the difference between the 3K AND THE 12K is it just the amount or difference of data that is entered into it ? A little help here 

many models outputs information on grids, the 12km grids are 12km^2 grid boxes, and 3km are 3^2.

Lower numbers means more grids which means higher resolutions, though it's important to note that higher resolution doesn't necessarily mean better accuracy

2 minutes ago, Brasiluvsnow said:

Don, does higher resolution mean more info or data downloaded , thats what I take it to mean ? Some might think higher resolution just means clearer pictures lol

In general, higher-resolution (typically referencing spatial resolution) means there are a larger number of grids for analysis that cover a given area. That allows models to better analyze smaller features, including mesoscale features. Here's a general description concerning model resolution.

https://scied.ucar.edu/longcontent/climate-modeling

1 minute ago, donsutherland1 said:

In general, higher-resolution (typically referencing spatial resolution) means there are a larger number of grids for analysis that cover a given area. That allows models to better analyze smaller features, including mesoscale features. Here's a general description concerning model resolution.

https://scied.ucar.edu/longcontent/climate-modeling

as usual TY Don

Zone of greatest vertical lifting goes from Cape Hatteras to Cape Cod in 12 hours, or 45mph.   We are barely grazed by precipitation during this jolly jaunt.   This is from the 12Z NAVGEM.    I can not see any changes good or bad when a system is showing  itself to be moving 40+mph on every run.   It does not seem to want to argue with itself, it knows where it is going, and how to get there.

Archived