Newest Member
    joxey
Long lasting intense Cold for New England

wxeyeNH

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Dorchester Bay by the yacht club is frozen over. It never froze the last two winters. Pretty impressive. IIRC, it was frozen solid through near 4/1 back in 2015...lol. Maybe Steve has records of Chief Massasoit noting freeze over times for inlets.

The ice hath the strength of holding 4 oxen. Thy yoke became useless at the local river. 

5 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

The ice hath the strength of holding 4 oxen. Thy yoke became useless at the local river. 

Hampton, the morning was so mild, several farmers set out for Newburyport, with ox-loads of potatoes, beguiling with neighborly chat the tedium of the slow progress. On the return, the cold became so intense and the wind so violent, all suffered extremely, and one man who had rashly left his overcoat at home was only saved from perishing, by wrapping himself in the blankets that had covered the potatoes.

11 minutes ago, dryslot said:

I fully expect to start seeing water line breaks here as that frost depth increases.

I work in the HVAC and plumbing field. Been doing it for the last 12 years. There have been much colder air masses but the amount of frozen/burst pipes the past week is crazy. I clocked almost 50 hours in overtime this week.

On a side note. Skilled trades are booming in New England. Send your kids to trade school. Cost practically nothing for school and the pay is really good.

1 minute ago, BrianW said:

I work in the HVAC and plumbing field. Been doing it for the last 12 years. There have been much colder air masses but the amount of frozen/burst pipes the past week is crazy. I clocked almost 50 hours in overtime this week.

I think you will be seeing more OT this week too as the cold continues.

8 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Hampton, the morning was so mild, several farmers set out for Newburyport, with ox-loads of potatoes, beguiling with neighborly chat the tedium of the slow progress. On the return, the cold became so intense and the wind so violent, all suffered extremely, and one man who had rashly left his overcoat at home was only saved from perishing, by wrapping himself in the blankets that had covered the potatoes.

LOL

2 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Began snowing yesterday afternoon–& it is still snowing this forenoon–Mother remembers the Cold Friday–very well–She lived in the house where I was born–The people in the kitchen Jack Garrison–Ester–& a Hardy girl drew up close to the fire–but the dishes which the Hardy girl was washing froze as fast as she washed them close to the fire. They managed to keep warm in the parlor by their great fires.

https://historicipswich.org/2016/01/19/the-cold-friday-of-1810-new-england-historical-society/

15 minutes ago, BrianW said:

On a side note. Skilled trades are booming in New England. Send your kids to trade school. Cost practically nothing for school and the pay is really good.

I am the facility manager of a 360k sq ft Museum, being weather savvy helps. I programmed all 27 HVAC units to discharge at 74 degrees overridden in occupied mode, turned off exhaust fans, basically over pressurized the entire building. Also many special protocols for the extensive priceless art collections. it’s a daily constant battle, outside fresh air units run at minimum HVAC standards when we are occupied but off when not. Our power plant is cranking at all t8mes 100 psi steam and 150 degree hot water loops. Worst by far time of year for me, it’s a conundrum for me personally 

This morning was 6-7F less cold than yesterday.  The temp kept falling after I'd headed for Augusta yesterday, reaching -31, just the 5th day reaching -30 or below in 19+ winters.  The high was -1, so I've not been above zero since late afternoon Wednesday, and yesterday's mean of -16 is the coldest I've recorded since moving here, 1F below the two -15 means in Jan 2004.  Except for the cheap 9:01 PM "high" (-7) for 1/14/04, that day would still hold the record at -17, on -11/-23.)  The 0.1" SN made yesterday the coldest, by far, with measurable snow since living in Ft. Kent.  There, we had 0.5" on 1/4/1981 with a daily mean temp of -27. 

4 minutes ago, tamarack said:

This morning was 6-7F less cold than yesterday.  The temp kept falling after I'd headed for Augusta yesterday, reaching -31, just the 5th day reaching -30 or below in 19+ winters.  The high was -1, so I've not been above zero since late afternoon Wednesday, and yesterday's mean of -16 is the coldest I've recorded since moving here, 1F below the two -15 means in Jan 2004.  Except for the cheap 9:01 PM "high" (-7) for 1/14/04, that day would still hold the record at -17, on -11/-23.)  The 0.1" SN made yesterday the coldest, by far, with measurable snow since living in Ft. Kent.  There, we had 0.5" on 1/4/1981 with a daily mean temp of -27. 

Wow. Pretty impressive.

2 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

I am the facility manager of a 360k sq ft Museum, being weather savvy helps. I programmed all 27 HVAC units to discharge at 74 degrees overridden in occupied mode, turned off exhaust fans, basically over pressurized the entire building. Also many special protocols for the extensive priceless art collections. it’s a daily constant battle, outside fresh air units run at minimum HVAC standards when we are occupied but off when not. Our power plant is cranking at all t8mes 100 psi steam and 150 d green hot water loops. Worst by far time of year for me, it’s a conundrum for me personally 

Wise choice. The biggest issue I encounter are t-stats set incorrectly or too low. Mostly people being frugal on the heat that results in burst pipes/sprinklers. They learn quick not to turn the heat down to 58-60 overnight....

10 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Have not read it (computer is achingly slow today), but that winter featured NYC's coldest daily mean on 12/30, -5.5 (2/-13), with that 2F max their coldest on record.  Early Feb 1918 had a day with 4/-6, that max tied with a 19th century day for 2nd coldest max.  The Farmington co-op also hit their coldest mean on 12/30/1917, at -23.5 on -11/-36, about 40-41F BN.  The -11 is tied with 1/9/68 for coldest max, but the min in '68 was a modest -18.  I also remember seeing Van Buren, Maine with -18/-32 for 12/30/1917.

Yesterday's mean of -16 was 35F BN, greatest departure I've had for any day here.

1 minute ago, BrianW said:

Wise choice. The biggest issue I encounter are t-stats set incorrectly or too low. Mostly people being frugal on the heat that results in burst pipes/sprinklers. They learn quick not to turn the heat down to 58-60 overnight....

25 winters of practice there. Some here are  new to NE or first time homeowners. Wrap your pipes, check your crawl spaces basements, make sure you seal foundation cracks, keep heat cranked the couple hundred in fuel could save you thousands and thousands. open sink cabinets , run the water hot and cold in each faucet at least twice a day. Upcoming cold in SNE is  No joke 

5 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Have not read it (computer is achingly slow today), but that winter featured NYC's coldest daily mean on 12/30, -5.5 (2/-13), with that 2F max their coldest on record.  Early Feb 1918 had a day with 4/-6, that max tied with a 19th century day for 2nd coldest max.  The Farmington co-op also hit their coldest mean on 12/30/1917, at -23.5 on -11/-36, about 40-41F BN.  The -11 is tied with 1/9/68 for coldest max, but the min in '68 was a modest -18.  I also remember seeing Van Buren, Maine with -18/-32 for 12/30/1917.

Yesterday's mean of -16 was 35F BN, greatest departure I've had for any day here.

Holy sh It on the daparture

1 hour ago, dryslot said:

I fully expect to start seeing water line breaks here as that frost depth increases.

Funny, I thought this very same thing while showering this AM. Past 3 days my lows have been -11.0, -11.8. -6.9. I believe we've averaged below zero since Tuesday evening. I also believe this is a first time I've experienced this cold, granted I've not always lived in the white mountains. Forecast shows below zero average for the next week. Does anyone know when New england last experienced such a record cold snap? 10 days of below zero has got to be some sort of record or at least top 5. 

Archived