Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Mid to Long Term Discussion 2018

Cary_Snow95

9 minutes ago, Queencitywx said:

EPS means went way up. For example, Burlington went from 1.6” to 4”. 

Huge signal there.  When the EPS is that deep this far out, there's a storm coming for somebody.  

High pressure looks stronger up top and located closer by.  Looked like the storm is bit stronger this run and therefore ticked north.  I don't want to see that anymore.  It already looks like the path it takes goes a bit inland over southern Georgia.  I'd rather it hug the gulf coast and the panhandle. I think if this is truly inland we're all going to have WAA issues.  

ecmwf-ens_mslpa_us_8.png

• Like 1

Not bad for RAH this far out:

It will otherwise be colder through the end of the week, as the trough aloft and cP high pressure migrate ewd across the srn Appalachians and sern US - coldest Thu, when highs will be in the 40s and lows solidly in the 20s. A reinforcing cold front, and leading edge of a fresh cP high, will then move swd through VA/NC late Fri-Fri night, immediately ahead of a significant srn stream wave and next bout of precipitation next Sat. This system will bring with it a good chance of a widespread, soaking rain, and also a threat of wintry weather at least at the onset over the Piedmont, as the srn stream moisture moves newd and interacts with the cP high.

2 minutes ago, Jonathan said:

GFS is coming way north with the initial low, just absolutely plowing into the banana high lol

Completely 1000% a discount at this point. GFS is notorious for doing this. There is no way the low is going to pile drive a banana high setup that way. Idk the flaw in the GFS model or why it has the tendency to do this but it is a staple with systems like this for GFS to eventually correct itself. Could it be showing a miller b rather than a southeast slider? Absolutely a plausible scenario. Regardless as others have mentioned the high is in a classic setup to provide positive results if you are a winter weather fan.

10 minutes ago, Buddy1987 said:

Completely 1000% a discount at this point. GFS is notorious for doing this. There is no way the low is going to pile drive a banana high setup that way. Idk the flaw in the GFS model or why it has the tendency to do this but it is a staple with systems like this for GFS to eventually correct itself. Could it be showing a miller b rather than a southeast slider? Absolutely a plausible scenario. Regardless as others have mentioned the high is in a classic setup to provide positive results if you are a winter weather fan.

And yet it's happened. Not saying the GFS will be correct (especially at this range, good golly), but highs can and do move out if their upper level support leaves. I can't count the number of times we've had a marginal wintry even or just very cold rain due to CAD that quickly leaves as a storm moves up the apps.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, WidreMann said:

And yet it's happened. Not saying the GFS will be correct (especially at this range, good golly), but highs can and do move out if their upper level support leaves. I can't count the number of times we've had a marginal wintry even or just very cold rain due to CAD that quickly leaves as a storm moves up the apps.

WidreMann,

If that banana stays entrenched the way it is depicted (which we both know as the event gets closer, Cad is normally underdone) there is no way the 18z gfs taken at face value will come to fruition. The GFS countless times is notorious for doing this. It is also an outlier at present when it comes to the globals, so for now we toss. Now if the high placement or the positioning is off then yes obviously your scenario could def come back to the drawing board with this. I know both of us hope we get absolutely creamed with this. It’s been a rough couple of years for snow lovers. 

53 minutes ago, Buddy1987 said:

I swear I rememeber we had a similar setup last year where the GFS depicted this exact outcome and the board chatter was identical..  We did end up with a winter event, but cant recall the outcome.  Ring a bell with anyone else, and if so, any similarities?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1