Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Mid to Long Term Discussion 2018

Cary_Snow95

1 minute ago, olafminesaw said:

There's also a lot of borderline soundings, where his algorithm is counting as snow, but there's no point splitting hairs at this point. When it comes down to forecasting closer to the event, it's probably better not to rely on snow maps, but do qpf frame by frame with precip type based on soundings.

fv3-gfs_18_186_22901924_skewt_weatherner

Gotcha, but verbatim that's a snow sounding, so I'm good with his output there.

7 minutes ago, griteater said:

Here's the 500mb trend on the last 3 runs of the 12z EPS Mean when our storm wave is in a similar location over the southern plains.  Note the trend in the height lines over northern Ohio / NY State / Pennsylvania - the height lines are trending from westerly to more west-northwest.  That subtle difference is a key trend and a good trend for acting to keep our storm wave and associated surface low on a bit of a more southerly track, yielding a colder and more wintry solution for parts of our subforum.  In contrast, if these height lines over NY state trend from westerly to more west-southwesterly, that opens the door for the storm to climb north.  There is a bit more ridging poking into Greenland which helps as well (all subtle differences that are key).

ssS6o8Q.gif

Grit, what about the high pressure system (I’m referring to the HP on the 18z GEFS) that’s around the WI, IA, IL area. Is it correct to think that has an influence in not allowing the primary to gain latitude? 

16 minutes ago, Buddy1987 said:

Grit, what about the high pressure system (I’m referring to the HP on the 18z GEFS) that’s around the WI, IA, IL area. Is it correct to think that has an influence in not allowing the primary to gain latitude? 

The upper level features and evolution will largely drive the placement and movement of the surface highs and lows...but yes, a stronger high with strong damming will have more influence on how / when / where the surface low transfers to the coast

4 hours ago, kvegas-wx said:

Dont think that was it Widre because we were in the 40's and 50's leading up to that at KGSO.  No HP in place pre-storm.  This event as modeled has the HP in place starting on Friday.  I agree with Buddy, I think this has to end up a slider if that banana HP is parked and cant understand why the GFS wants to run these systems into a brick wall.

Maybe Dec 2002?

9 hours ago, burrel2 said:

I'm here... pretty excited about the potential, but trying not to get too amped up yet.  We've got another few days before we know if it's a real threat or not. The pattern certainly looks conducive.

Good to see you. Yeah, I'm trying to stay realistic despite all the clown maps, looks like we'd be on the edge as usual. I am liking our pattern as well though. Even though I tire of all the cold rain, you have to think we'll get some good shots this year, even at a big dog, if the November pattern holds.

4 hours ago, packfan98 said:

Yep!  The low tracked pretty much due east instead of cutting.  Many ensembles have had a similar look. Here's the overblown clown map:

fv3p_asnow_eus_37.png

:facepalm:Jan 88, what was that... a flurry or something?

Wow, as pretty as that is its kinda sad our new "state of the art" model can print something like that out, it really is DGEX like, almost comical.

If only!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, WidreMann said:

The high doesn't have as much support and is tilted back towards the west rather than being a proper banana high. The downstream trough is also a little weather, so confluence will be as well.

Still, seems like an improvement, with the possibility of a transfer, much like the FV3

2 minutes ago, WidreMann said:

Considerably warmer at 156 at surface, but then considerably colder at 162. Nice surprise.

I will say for your backyard specifically it’s not the greatest with the primary but so long as the primary transfers at 162 in south central TN it will lock in winter precip for the northern zones of the forum.