joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2017 Discussions & Observations Thread

Rtd208

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This morning's low temperature in NYC was 17°. The four consecutive days with low temperatures below 20° is the longest such stretch since the 5-day period from Feburary 11 through February 15, 2016.

Monthly Mean Temperature for NYC Through:

12/29 36.2° (1.5° below normal)
12/31 34.9°-35.3° (12/29 estimate: 35.0°-35.3°)

Per sensitivity analysis, the estimated probability of a below normal monthly anomaly: >99.9% (12/29 estimate: >99.9%).

Today's clipper will likely bring a coating to a half-inch of snow across the area with locally higher amounts. 1"-3" across much of Long Island with locally higher amounts and 1"-2" across a part of central New Jersey appears likely.

9.6 degrees with steady light snow. At the very least it's freshening up the 2.5 inch snow pack that has steadfastly endured since Christmas morning. I'll take 1-2 inches today and run with it.

It's still amazing to me with all of this arctic air around that we haven't breached zero yet, but I think that's finally coming Sunday night.

Now that it's a certainty does anyone know  the last time we had two consecutive months of BN temps? And should January pan out when was the last time we had three months in a row BN? Has to be at least five years.

11 minutes ago, donsutherland1 said:

This morning's low temperature in NYC was 17°. The four consecutive days with low temperatures below 20° is the longest such stretch since the 5-day period from Feburary 11 through February 15, 2016.

Monthly Mean Temperature for NYC Through:

12/29 36.2° (1.5° below normal)
12/31 34.9°-35.3° (12/29 estimate: 35.0°-35.3°)

Per sensitivity analysis, the estimated probability of a below normal monthly anomaly: >99.9% (12/29 estimate: >99.9%).

Today's clipper will likely bring a coating to a half-inch of snow across the area with locally higher amounts. 1"-3" across much of Long Island with locally higher amounts and 1"-2" across a part of central New Jersey appears likely.

Now that December BN temps are a certainty when was the last time NYC saw two consecutive month below normal and should Januray pan out when was the last time they saw three consecutive month Bn?

7 hours ago, Paragon said:

Ed, is that from NYC?

I got the 1940s figure from WABC's Twitter feed, they said the last time NYC had a below zero low in February was in the 1940s.

I was going to ask them about 1961 because I remembered reading there was an extreme arctic shot just before the big Feb 1961 snowstorm, didn't read anything about 1963 or 1979, outside of the fact that 1979 was a very cold winter nationwide and we got a big surprise snowstorm in Feb 1979 that was supposed to miss us to the south.

Central Park.

Twitter feeds aren't the best source of actual details.

23 minutes ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

Now that December BN temps are a certainty when was the last time NYC saw two consecutive month below normal and should Januray pan out when was the last time they saw three consecutive month Bn?

The last time NYC had 2 or more colder than normal months was January-March 2015. The last colder than normal December-January pair occurred in winter 2010-2011.

1 hour ago, donsutherland1 said:

The last time NYC had 2 or more colder than normal months was January-March 2015. The last colder than normal December-January pair occurred in winter 2010-2011.

Thanks Don:

I recorded 59.8 inches of snow during that period NYC (Central Park) recorded 49.1 inches of snow. That was also the period NYC went 50 consecutive days with snow on the ground, with 44 consecutive days of at least 6 inches of snow on the ground during that stretch. I had forgotten how nice that winter was, and only three years ago. Snow and cold, it still can happen.

Wasn't it shortly after that, I believe beginning in July 2015 that we began that horrible streak of 22 consecutive months above normal?

59 minutes ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

I was wondering about the 3 month BN thing too. If that happens the president is bound to tweet something totally ignorant about how fake climate change is :( 

Archived