joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2017 Discussions & Observations Thread

Rtd208

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yesterday's low temperature in New York City was 11°. That is the coldest minimum temperature since February 14, 2016 when the temperature plunged to -1°. It is the coldest December temperature since December 20, 2004 when the temperature dropped to 11°.
Monthly Mean Temperature for NYC Through:

12/28 37.0° (0.9° below normal)
12/31 35.0°-35.3° (12/28 estimate: 35.0°-35.6°)

Per sensitivity analysis, the estimated probability of a below normal monthly anomaly: >99.9% (12/28 estimate: 86%).

There remains a possibility that the temperature could fall below 10° before the ball drops on Times Square to ring in the New Year.

Tomorrow's clipper will likely bring a coating to a half-inch of snow across the area. That won't be much, it will add a little to the month's above normal snowfall and it should provide a reminder that winter 2017-18 remains on course for above to much above normal snowfall for the region.

10 minutes ago, donsutherland1 said:

Yesterday's low temperature in New York City was 11°. That is the coldest minimum temperature since February 14, 2016 when the temperature plunged to -1°. It is the coldest December temperature since December 20, 2004 when the temperature dropped to 11°.

12/27 37.0° (0.9° below normal)

Per sensitivity analysis, the estimated probability of a below normal monthly anomaly: >99.9% (12/28 estimate: 86%).

There remains a possibility that the temperature could fall below 10° before the ball drops on Times Square to ring in the New Year.

Tomorrow's clipper will likely bring a coating to a half-inch of snow across the area. That won't be much, it will add a little to the month's above normal snowfall and it should provide a reminder that winter 2017-18 remains on course for above to much above normal snowfall for the region.

Yesterday alone added 0.65 degrees to the monthly negative departure. The magic of a -20 day.

11 minutes ago, sferic said:

I know 16 days is the maximum consecutive days of <32 degrees. for NYC

I'm curious as to consecutive days <20 degrees and  days < 20 degrees for maximum highs in a given winter season

Most high temperatures below 20 degrees: 11, 1917-1918

Most consecutive low temperatures below 20 degrees: 20, January 3-22, 1893

6 minutes ago, donsutherland1 said:

Don, do you mean from 1.3.1893 to 1.22.1893 the temps never got above 20 degrees?

I meant consecutive days temps never climbed above 20 degrees.

Sorry for my miscommunication

2 minutes ago, sferic said:

Don, do you mean from 1.3.1893 to 1.22.1893 the temps never got above 20 degrees?

No, 11 is the max so that only means the low temps. I doubt the record for most consecutive days below 20 is greater than 5-7

17 minutes ago, donsutherland1 said:

Interesting that you don't hear about the rivers freezing up during those years, like you do about 1875 and 1888. I'm guessing the record keeping generally wasn't reliable during the 1800's.

7 minutes ago, sferic said:

No. 

Most consecutive high temperatures below 20 degrees: 7, January 11-17, 1893.

The same is true for most consecutive days with high temperatures of 20 degrees or below (same dates).

21 minutes ago, Rittenhouse said:

Interesting that you don't hear about the rivers freezing up during those years, like you do about 1875 and 1888. I'm guessing the record keeping generally wasn't reliable during the 1800's.

There were some news reports, but it seems that as the 19th century approached an end, less coverage was devoted to weather and weather-related events.

From January 12, 1893:

“New York was an ice-bound city again yesterday [January 12]. Ferries ran at irregular intervals or not at all. Big steamships could not get to sea and vessels were frozen in the ice all over the rivers and bays… The Upper and Lower Bay and the East River became fields of ice through which only the most powerful craft could make a way… A great sheet of moving ice spread between Staten and Manhattan Islands…

Of the fleet of 500 tugs in New York Harbor 250 were said yesterday to be laid up on account of injuries received in the ice blockage of the preceding day. The ice prevented the use of drydocks, and so disabled tugs had to tie up to their piers and wait.”

Source:  “New York Walled in by Ice,” New York Tribune, January 13, 1893

From January 16, 1893:

Newport, RI: “Last night was another cold one, and the result was that the inner harbor is now practically closed to all craft.”

Bridgeport, CT: “The ice blockade in the harbor grows worse each day. No sailing vessels have entered or left here for ten days and the steamers City of Bridgeport and Nutmeg State can reach their piers only with difficulty.”

Philadelphia: “The day was intensely cold here… The effect of the severe weather seems to be felt in every channel of communication, by rail as well as by water. River navigation is almost at a standstill. No boats are moving in the Delaware except the ferryboats, iceboats, and tugs.”

Source: “Ice-Blocked Bays and Harbors,” New York Tribune, January 17, 1893.

3 hours ago, Morris said:

Euro doesn't go above freezing for the entire 240 hours. The vast majority of days not even remotely close. It ends with the city below zero at 240.

If this occurs with only a dusting of snow I’ll be leaving you guys for the loony bin.

as far as the 1893 record I’m more impressed with the number of highs below 20 then the lows. NYC in the 1890s still had sheep grazing in Central Park and farms above 90th street. So it radiated just like the outlying suburbs do now 

11 hours ago, donsutherland1 said:

No. 

The same is true for most consecutive days with high temperatures of 20 degrees or below (same dates).

Don what is the year that holds the most consecutive below 32 degree high record? I heard that the record is 16, but not sure what year it's from.

Do we have a shot at breaking that?

On 12/29/2017 at 1:28 AM, NorthShoreWx said:

2/8/79: 0

2/8/63: -2

2/2/61: -2

Ed, is that from NYC?

I got the 1940s figure from WABC's Twitter feed, they said the last time NYC had a below zero low in February was in the 1940s.

I was going to ask them about 1961 because I remembered reading there was an extreme arctic shot just before the big Feb 1961 snowstorm, didn't read anything about 1963 or 1979, outside of the fact that 1979 was a very cold winter nationwide and we got a big surprise snowstorm in Feb 1979 that was supposed to miss us to the south.

On 12/29/2017 at 12:18 AM, Rjay said:

You think NYC will get past -5 degrees one night in December?

I have doubts about getting lower than -2 in any month.

Although somehow LGA got to -3, so I guess it's possible lol.

-5 has to be considered the limit though, I don't know what it would take to get to -10 unless we were in another ice age.

19 hours ago, donsutherland1 said:

12/27 37.0° (0.9° below normal)

Interesting how the 1917-18 NYE temp is 10 degrees colder than any other temp recorded at that time in any other year.

12 hours ago, sferic said:

I know 16 days is the maximum consecutive days of <32 degrees. for NYC

I'm curious as to consecutive days <20 degrees and  days < 20 degrees for maximum highs in a given winter season

I thought the record of <32 days was 12 until I heard it's 16 today, what year is the record from?

12 hours ago, donsutherland1 said:

No. 

Don was the cold blizzard in Jan 1893  ?

Archived