Newest Member
    joxey
Late autumn, early winter model mayhem

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Euro looking a bit better again too. Again, not the bigger Miller B that was depicted a couple days ago but trying to redevelop that clipper a bit so we could definitely still get an advisory event. 

Yeah seems like a 2-4 or 3-6” event is in play .

Also long range muted a bit which isn’t surprising 

6 minutes ago, mahk_webstah said:

Not sure who you mean by "we" but via gyx and wpc it looks a bit better up this way, maybe a solid  4-8 incher?  Could also be one of those modeled storms that disappears a bit and then comes back.

I don't really see much guidance that shows solid warning snows for anyone...maybe northern Maine? Maybe with 20 to 1 ratios which is certainly plausible...but you wouldn't forecast those at this lead time. 

It could def keep trending better though. Still 3 days out. What I mean in my post is that the bigger Miller B idea phasing another shortwave in looks to be off the table. This looks like a one shortwave deal...little clipper redeveloper. Those can still pack a little surprise sometimes though so we watch....

It'll be interesting to see the overnight, GEFS -derived teleconnector layout from the CDC and CPC. 

Yesterday's complexion of those certainly featured room and reason for this so called "Grinch" storm that seems to eerily formulate its self from the ether every year, as other's have succinctly pointed out...with stunning clock-work dependency.  Then, we click ahead twelve to eighteen hours from yesterday, and the operational runs puked out charts that are like a big-brother flicking our ears when dad's not watching.     

Before that happens ...there are two distinct time periods of interesting over this next week, which others surely have noted: Tuesday morning and overnight Thursday into Friday morning. My less than savory take (assuming the audience in this case...) is that both will have relative potency in the flow that unfortunately ... will still have to content with moving through a gradient/velocity rich domain space prior to their arrival... 

About that ... I really wish people ubiquitously understood why that's a problem, and why this whole pattern's "look," as well as the "I'll take my chances.." mantra were both foolish and probably stubborn in a lot of ways.  But, you know ... try to explain anything to a group where said explanation does not actually perpetuate the chosen doctrine is probably equally a fool's errand, too. It goes for me too - really.. I know this crap is true, but even I play head-games because I would certainly like a nice seasonal augmenting event here. I mean ... I saw the NAM solutions and frankly, we don't crunch Navier-Stokes in our minds.  That's what the supercomputers are for... The "correction vector," however, was in fact always pointed toward less in this synoptic circumstance, much in the same way it will still be pointed as we peer ahead through next week. 

The reality is, this pattern is a dog... and was from the get-go. ...and will remain so, until such time as the torque budget/ballast is given back to the shorter wave-length spaces.  Having the gradient saturation and consequential screaming maelstrom all the way up to planetary wave scales, ...it just takes too much mechanical ability away from cyclogenesis. You end up with weaker smears that narrow conduits of action...  Until that time, people will get giddy from faux precedence, and then be exquisitely set up by yo-yo antics in the models to maximize their frustration as though the whole thing was done on purpose.  I guess the course of lesser regret is to recognize limitations and then wait to be pleasantly surprised, should those limitations appear overwhelming.  Ha, but then you get into filtering/biases of the eyes that don't 'look' for those limitation, or rationalize them when they see them.  

Digression over...  It doesn't mean Tuesday and Friday won't happen ..blah blah blah, come on... One should know we are talking limitations, not absolutes and/or heretic to the love of snow-gods here. 

1 minute ago, WxBlue said:

Friday is looking ok too. Could be another advisory event.

Yeah Friday could have some upside too. There's a chance that one could dig a lot deeper than Tuesday...I'm hoping maybe we get our Miller B but just 3 days delayed from what we originally were hoping for. 

1 hour ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

John, I wouldn't say that the pattern is a "dog", but agree that it's not ideally situated to engineer blockbuster events by our standards.

yeah, that's probably fair enough, Ray  -

but, I'm also annoyed that we've had three winters ...well, two, and now a month so far of this one, with a western ridge, eastern trough but had to deal with this saturated gradient providing too much velocities, so much of that time.  It's like a big COC tease that won't stop, rubbing it in...  I realize we may or may not have been in stone's throw of average winter expression for the duration ... not arguing. But, hiding one's head in that sand is "bargaining" ?  ...it's like not admitting being boned...  

But that's all the emotional, personal druthers and annoyances crap. that stuff aside ... we just have to maintain a vigil to not get one's hopes up in any mid or extended range so long as that is that is all the case  ...

Archived