Newest Member
    joxey
Late autumn, early winter model mayhem

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

GEFS sig for Ray , (Scott, Scooter, Scoots) and my man Jer for the 13th is anything but rain

Sounds as expected for an ensemble mean...coastal storms they are almost always (gotta be 90% or more) to the east of their operational run even just because of timing differences and the ones that have a weak or non-existent low.

Fast flow would argue east though...just doesn't strike me this far out as something that amplifies enough to run over the Canal or something.  It would really have to dig for oil.

I still think one of the weekend deals comes back a bit more robust (for at least light snows for some) as we get closer.  Everyone will be focused on Wednesday and then something will pop with 1-3/2-4" this weekend.

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

Sounds as expected for an ensemble mean...coastal storms they are almost always (gotta be 90% or more) to the east of their operational run even just because of timing differences and the ones that have a weak or non-existent low.

Fast flow would argue east though...just doesn't strike me this far out as something that amplifies enough to run over the Canal or something. 

They are west at times, though.

1 minute ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

They are west at times, though.

Yeah its just not anywhere near as often as east...especially at these lead times when you have some significant timing differences smoothing the mean to a weaker/east type deal.  It all sort of dilutes itself in the mean at this point.

I think it would be very rare to see that OP run and then see the GEFS come out with a low over like ORH this far out. 

5 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

? This is the GFS/GEFS for the weekend storm Op is east of the GEFS

gfs_z500_mslp_us_18.png

gfs-ememb_lowlocs_us_18.png

Just now, powderfreak said:

Fast flow would argue east though...just doesn't strike me this far out as something that amplifies enough to run over the Canal or something.  It would really have to dig for oil.

I still think one of the weekend deals comes back a bit more robust (for at least light snows for some) as we get closer.  Everyone will be focused on Wednesday and then something will pop with 1-3/2-4" this weekend.

Yes and no.  Depends upon the orientation/shape of the trough.  Also, if you get a lbe of the PV involved, it can tug a storm back W.

4 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

I agree ,there is no rule

No rule but again at this lead time... like 7 days out...I still wager if you see a strong or well formed OP model low, the ENS will be east.  It will dilute itself with timing and strength differences. 

The main thing is in the strength of the OP run.  If its weak and east than yes its possible but on today's run, you have a 970-something low on the OP in the Gulf of Maine.  The odds are over-whelmingly in favor of the Ensembles diluting that and being further east.  No way at 6-7 days out are you going to see the ENS with a stronger and more west low than that, I mean that would be hard to fathom the ENS coming in at like 972mb over CON at this lead time.

Just now, WintersComing said:

PV?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Polar Vortex.  If you loop the 500mb maps on Tropical Tidbits you can see it dropout of the Hudson Bay area almost due S and it tugs next weeks storm west.

https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/?model=gfs&region=namer&pkg=z500_vort&runtime=2017120512&fh=102

Just now, Baroclinic Zone said:

Polar Vortex.  If you loop the 500mb maps on Tropical Tidbits you can see it dropout of the Hudson Bay area almost due S and it tugs next weeks storm west.

https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/?model=gfs&region=namer&pkg=z500_vort&runtime=2017120512&fh=102

Graphical representation.

gfs_z500_vort_namer_28.thumb.png.188ab8c6a7317d38356ecbeb756408bc.png

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah euro back west a bit. Might try and redevelop something along the boundary in later panels...the east side of that trough looks awfully steep to just see everything miss. 

The whole trough is aligned further west this run and digging further SW.

2 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

I wouldn't sell yet on either Saturday or Sunday...both are far enough out and it will only take small changes to see them produce. I'd prob punt on them if we keep trending the wrong direction through tomorrow.

Way behind (knew there was a big run because I was 160 replies behind after ducking away for 2 hours for a session of the media workshop), but I did mention yesterday that sensitivity really pointed towards the biggest influence being Wednesday when it came to the ensemble runs. Should have the players over land at that point.

Archived