• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Late autumn, early winter model mayhem

Typhoon Tip

What you can say is that look is classic -EPO with a positive NAO. It can frequently mean overrunning but not always. In this case the PNA isn't largely positive...instead a trough in the west so this def increases the chance for SWFE, overrunning systems, and cutters. 

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

To me that looks more like lots of low level cold getting overrun by SE pig ridge... to me that looks icy SNE/ snowy NNE

I don’t know-with the cold modeled it would suggest to me it would be deep enough for snow.  Look at the H85 temps.  Leonesque.

9 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Really 

How is it possible to determine if it's an icy look from using the mean 2m temperature anomaly 11 to 15 days out when you know there are so many other factors to consider. Beside, I wouldn't waste my energy obsessing on anything that far out. 

9 minutes ago, tamarack said:

12/25, 18z gfs has +2C at RUM, +3 at WVL (and the same for each at H9.)  I don't think it will be any better in between, in my area.

But the whole discussion is EPS.  I don’t think anyone (at least not me) is basing a long range ice argument on an operational run 11-15 days out.

3 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I'm not the biggest fan of the look. I'm all set with getting 10" of snow and having it disappear 3 days later. Also, the ridge retros on the EPS in AK. That's not what we want. Would be nice if the voodoo -NAO would show up. 

Maybe you can fire a gun at 80,000 feet.

Too bad we're wasting the trough this weekend. Could've been a nice little event.

Hopefully the stuff in the 12/22-12/25 timeframe works out...don't see a whole lot before then, but never say never...sometimes smaller events sneak up. 12/18 is looking like nothing at the moment, but there's a weak shortwave ejecting from the southwest, so who knows, it could produce some light precip.

Just now, Damage In Tolland said:

I’d keep an eye on Fri nite and Sun nite/Mon an for light events 

At the moment, it looks like nothing...maybe a few flurries or snow showers. We're close enough that it's probably not turning into a real event...there's a slight chance we end up a little more unstable than guidance shows and maybe we get more widespread snow showers, but I'm not holding my breath on that. The Cape could get clipped with some light snow on Saturday.

23 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I'd like to fire Judah into the tropical Stratosphere. Then, we may get a warming event over the poles, as all that hot..bullsh*t air coming out of his mouth makes its way via Brewer Dobson circulation.

he agrees with Kevin with his latest tweet:

Judah Cohen (@judah47) · Twitter
We don't produce #ice maps but strong southerly flow aloft undercut by low level #Arctic air is optimal setup for an ice storm from the Ohio Valley into the Northeast in late December. Ice is the most devastating #winter storm. pic.twitter.com/gPxu4wr…

This pattern coming up in D9-14 is definitely more favorable for ice than, say, a big +PNA pattern. But you still need a lot of ingredients to come together for big icing events. Could easily just be a cutter with a transition period of ice or an overrunning snow event.

3 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Still not very exciting...but I'll be happy if we can pull off an inch or something.

This post is dripping with opportunity but I will high road it.   I do think we will have snow chances with mix also of course risking cutting but hopefully not getting it.

Archived