joxey
Winter Speculation 17/18 -December Thread

AMZ8990

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, *Flash* said:

CMC smells all kind of fishy to me...

Indeed.  You know...I keep saying this.  Pay me now or pay me later.  If the system comes in like the GFS it snows...if it hangs back(maybe a different piece of energy even) the CMC sends it OTS but drives the cold behind it.  Both models show some type of coastal.  If anything goes up the coast w those big high pressures behind it...could be record cold.

Agree with John on the CMS temps, the GFS moderates it a bit with the lack of snow cover.  That made me go look at the current snow pack maps, and generally It seems I remember a lot of times a storm system likes to follow just south of the current snow pack.  Interesting that if the GFS is correct with its storm placement it would be just south of the current snow pack.

Current Snow Cover.jpg

Slight differences make a big difference.  The CMC digs slightly less.  The GFS digs more.  The CMC energy phases in early but juices the northern stream.  It forms a big 500 vortex that crashes South and spawns the storm off the coast.  The GFS digs and the confluence is later.  That basically forms a massive frontal boundary that is loaded with energy.  Here is the deal...we need to know if that energy is real.  IMO, it will be tough to get that energy across the continent without some type of mischief.  Throwing fuel on a fire type deal.  As for temps....this air mass is modeled to be freakishly cold.  The models have been spitting out massive highs for almost a week or more.  IMO, the severe cold is a given across the northern border of the US.  It does not take much energy on any run to coax that cold southward.  The fact that these models are so cold without snow tells us how cold that air mass is.  The pic on the left is the GFS and the pic on the right is the CMC.

IMG_1262.PNG

14 minutes ago, ShawnEastTN said:

WPC's morning discussion say they are discounting GFS due to its wild swings, and relying on Euro/UKMet blend, and discounting CMC past 5 days, as well as the NAM.

I tend to agree.  It has been really bad...maybe the worst I have seen it.  But the CMC and GFS are not much different above.  Bob Chill mentioned in the MA forum (must read) that the disturbance is in the Arctic/northern Canada, not coming off the Pacific.  It is poorly sampled.  Indeed, the GFS is on an island with its digging solution.  Now my take is this....the 12z UKMET is in, and I can't decipher much without a precip map.  It looks more like the 0z Euro and 12z CMC.  If the 12z Euro holds serve...time to toss the GFS for this run.  That said, the GFS has been somewhat consistent showing this storm...and it is usually progressive and not amped.  I do think the 84-144 time frame has nice potential....just no way to know.

• Mr Bob unpinned this topic

Archived