Newest Member
    joxey
Winter Speculation 17/18 -December Thread

AMZ8990

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, John1122 said:

I think we'll see it move more and more towards the Euro/CMC/UKIE.

One thing to note, it's to not take any storm as remotely serious beyond 5 days. It's crazy that the models get major upgrades and seemingly get worse at forecasting. The GFS used to have a reliable bias within 7 days, and that was a NW trend, it rarely had the issues it seems to have these days. This year it's just lost most of the time.

Also the Euro has  served up day 7 megastorms a couple of times already only to fall completely flat. I guess there's truly never going to be a way to be particularly accurate with micro details beyond 3-4 days. Not a huge fan of brown ground and bone rattling cold but we can only live with the weather we get. 

The last significant storm that wnc cashed in on had a nice NW trend, obviously not enough to get us in the game, but it was there, about 25 miles a day for 5 or so days. 

3 minutes ago, John1122 said:

That I can find these are the high pressure records in the states where the GFS is pushing this mega high.

1054 is the record high pressure for the state of Kansas.

1058 is the record for North Dakota.

1056 for South Dakota.

1063 for Montana which is the lower 48 record.

Thanks,i was about to Google it,that would be a record for Nebraska.Impressive still

Approaching record territory for sure...

http://hanfordsentinel.com/news/local/the-high-and-lows-of-air-pressure/article_7372ea6c-93ec-53b0-b634-860fa2a2678d.html

"The highest pressure ever recorded in the lower 48 states occurred in December 1983 in Miles City, Montana, where it reached 1,064 mb, or 31.42 inHg, during a severe cold wave."

3 minutes ago, Carvers Gap said:

Approaching record territory for sure...

http://hanfordsentinel.com/news/local/the-high-and-lows-of-air-pressure/article_7372ea6c-93ec-53b0-b634-860fa2a2678d.html

"The highest pressure ever recorded in the lower 48 states occurred in December 1983 in Miles City, Montana, where it reached 1,064 mb, or 31.42 inHg, during a severe cold wave."

Its odd how the euro only shows an elongated 1044 its last run,its not as cold but i didnt think the system would be that surrpressed

3 minutes ago, jaxjagman said:

Its odd how the euro only shows an elongated 1044 its last run,its not as cold but i didnt think the system would be that surrpressed

The Euro did not have much model support at 12z after 150.  It was on its own.  Just looking at the 0z GFS...man, another shot of cold at 324.  I really cannot reiterate enough, the 500 pattern on the GFS did not change much at 0z...but the CMC moved very much towards it prior to 84 at 500 in the northwest as did the RGEM.    The surface was the difference...which is what matters.  But the CMC moved toward the 12z GFS from yesterday...that is why it could land the big coastal on the EC.  

3 minutes ago, Carvers Gap said:

The Euro did not have much model support at 12z after 150.  It was on its own.  Just looking at the 0z GFS...man, another shot of cold at 324.  I really cannot reiterate enough, the 500 pattern on the GFS did not change much at 0z...but the CMC moved very much towards it prior to 84 at 500 in the northwest as did the RGEM.    The surface was the difference...which is what matters.  But the CMC moved toward the 12z GFS from yesterday...that is why it could land the big coastal on the EC.  

Its totally different.There is another storm that should effect us around the 3-4th,this is what the models shows.It surrpresses the 1st one,verywell might happen

Just now, jaxjagman said:

The Euro has a storm at the end of the run,its right,there should be a system if the cold air doesnt suppress it

The UKMET at 0z...It also moved to the GFS in the NW as well.  It digs into the NW and downstream it makes a big difference.  It is north of its 12z run yesterday in relation to the GOM at 500.  Can’t tell where the precip is after 72...anyone have those maps?

6 minutes ago, Carvers Gap said:

The UKMET at 0z...It also moved to the GFS in the NW as well.  It digs into the NW and downstream it makes a big difference.  It is north of its 12z run yesterday in relation to the GOM at 500.  Can’t tell where the precip is after 72...anyone have those maps?

I can only see 12z run so far for the 144 hr UK.

1 minute ago, John1122 said:

The UKIE 144 precip map is a mirror image of the GFS OP. .10 in the mountains, dry for the rest of the forum. Same hole that the GFS had. 

Thanks, man.  I was able to get a look on the SE forum.  Still did not look overly bad at 500. At 120, there is plenty for this room to move if the models are over doing the cold.  No snow on the ground.  Normal trends to the north...just look at tomorrow and where it began the week.  So, they are getting the energy over the ridge...just not consensus yet but w a trend to suppress for sure.  I like that the models are getting energy now into the pattern.  The big thing right now is the there is room for a storm where before there was not.  Either way...the Euro is appears caput for tonight.  I put the jinx on us.  Great discussion today.  Maybe we can reel one in before the cold breaks.  

3 minutes ago, John1122 said:

Remarkable agreement on precip from the 00z suite at 12z. Almost mirror imaged of each other for our region. 

Nice layout of the precipitation maps.  You know, if we did not know the trend on the GFS precipitation map...we would like where those are.  With about four days to go before the precipitation gets here and 3.5 for the Plains...I suspect those maps move a bit.  I liked Roger Smith's comments that are linked above in the MA forum.  Will be a good test of the models.

Bunch of mix but lots to go by the look,map is 240 hrs,could be a nice hit

THU 06Z 04-JAN  28.6    24.9    27.1     1.9    15005   0.00    0.00      97    
THU 12Z 04-JAN  29.4    27.0    29.3    -1.4    14006   0.00    0.00     100    
THU 18Z 04-JAN  32.5    29.3    32.4    14.5    14003   0.05    0.05     100    
FRI 00Z 05-JAN  32.4    30.1    30.6    29.4    10004   0.19    0.12     100    
FRI 06Z 05-JAN  31.2    30.5    31.1    30.8    04002   0.27    0.01     100    
FRI 12Z 05-JAN  31.6    30.9    31.2    30.9    07002   0.09    0.02     100    

• Mr Bob unpinned this topic

Archived