• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter Speculation 17/18 -December Thread

AMZ8990

You know....after looking at the 18z GFS and reading the MRX comments...it is possible that we are focusing on the wrong feature.  The streak of precipitation breaking out to our north of the system at 72 hours has been getting strong w/ each run.  It is there because it is on the Arctic boundary.  Keep an eye on that feature.  Otherwise...another day of model mayhem appears on tap.  Maybe the Euro will roll on time.  All eyes on trends from the 0z NAM.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You know....after looking at the 18z GFS and reading the MRX comments...it is possible that we are focusing on the wrong feature.  The streak of precipitation breaking out to our north of the system at 72 hours has been getting strong w/ each run.  It is there because it is on the Arctic boundary.  Keep an eye on that feature.  Otherwise...another day of model mayhem appears on tap.  Maybe the Euro will roll on time.  All eyes on trends from the 0z NAM.

I was just thinking about that jet reading MRX’s AFD. If lapse rates are ok we might have enough forcing to amplify precip, especially if NW flow gets going. I’ve seen orographic lift back the snow up all the way into the valley.

it looks like the trend on the models is to start keying in on the wave behind the one that the GFS "had" as our storm. It is trending towards a more sheared out system as the piece behind it is able to separate from the flow. personally i think that will be the storm to watch. it has been trending west and digging more on every major models once they started picking up on it. My thinking is that the first storm flattens out and we miss out but the more it trends that way, the better off we are for the second piece. it's like we are robbing from Peter to pay Paul. I'm okay with that lol. Of course I'm no expert but that's what I see. That first wave sling shots the second one behind it and allows it to dig west.  I bet we see that become more prominent on future runs if the models continue to dampen that wave and allow the separation that one needs. The +PNA really starts ramping up at this time and has been trending stronger as well. 

59 minutes ago, Chattownsnow said:

it looks like the trend on the models is to start keying in on the wave behind the one that the GFS "had" as our storm. It is trending towards a more sheared out system as the piece behind it is able to separate from the flow. personally i think that will be the storm to watch. it has been trending west and digging more on every major models once they started picking up on it. My thinking is that the first storm flattens out and we miss out but the more it trends that way, the better off we are for the second piece. it's like we are robbing from Peter to pay Paul. I'm okay with that lol. Of course I'm no expert but that's what I see. That first wave sling shots the second one behind it and allows it to dig west.  I bet we see that become more prominent on future runs if the models continue to dampen that wave and allow the separation that one needs. The +PNA really starts ramping up at this time and has been trending stronger as well. 

nam.gif

The 0z NAM positives...It is only 48 hours until it hits the PAC coast which is well within its wheelhouse.  The key seems to be that the energy digs into the NW mid-run and lifts the trough a bit in the SE allowing the storm to work under it.  It has been consistent.  Questions....the NAM is infamous for overdoing the strength of systems late in the run, BUT again it has been very consistent and that matters.  It "seems" to be trending stronger.  Is it correct in lifting the flow in front of it late in its run?  That may be typical NAM bias late in its run.  I mean it almost forms a slip in Louisiana.  What I do like is the it makes sense in that the precipitation is on the Arctic boundary.

Pack was just talking about this on SE thread

Glanced at the 18z GEFS members...something that immediately stood out of the ones that hit is the return of the SE ridge due to the low in the NE lifting further north.  

If this occurs we may get our NW trend and a more amplified system, "less suppression" 

System 2 also ultra suppressed on the GEM. 

Hopefully this pattern breaks soon. I'll take a warm up and hope for a reshuffle into February at this rate. 

0 to .01 precip over the next 9 days on the GEM with nothing in sight. 0 precip period on the GFS for the entire week. Forest fires will become a concern with much of that.

Basically for whatever reason all models overamp/aren’t as flat d7+ in this pattern, then adjust as we close in, the last two potential events did this gotta hope for a storm when the pattern relaxes a bit. Suppression has been an issue in other La Niña/-QBO seasons of the past 

This post is from hickory in the SE forum, and its a sentiment i relate to.  We keep grasping at the 8-10 day storms only to watch them slowly shrink and shear to the south which now appears to me the most bankable reoccuring pattern

2 minutes ago, tnweathernut said:

So much for a fighting SE ridge.  We probably need a reshuffle.  I am usually as optimistic as they come, but not seeing anything at 500 to get excited about. Perfect example of how widespread and lasting cold can be wasted in the south.

Yep, I'm already over this pattern. It actually shows that a SE ridge helps us if it's positioned correctly. Without it there's nothing to slow down the pattern or give us return flow.

Definitely knew that suppression was a concern beginning the pattern.  Those cutters modeled early on were not realistic.  I also don't find the bone dry look realistic.  Have to think some clippers, etc, work into this pattern.  Timing is the issue w/ the hour 72 system.  The GFS is actually quicker w the energy over TX.  It misses the Rockies energy.  But the CMC supports it.  As for a new pattern...looks to me like the EPO reloads after a few days break.  After that cycle, not sure.  But right now, after a week of model mayhem where models were consistent w AN precipitation...not sure I am ready to by the consistent dry look.  It could certainly happen, but I bet we see a storm at some point w this cold.  It might be as the pattern relaxes and reforms the EPO ridge or it might be one on short notice.  

• Mr Bob unpinned this topic

Archived