joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter Speculation 17/18 -December Thread

AMZ8990

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This might be more of a banter post...but since we are in a lull between model runs.  Erie, PA.  60" of snow in a two day period.  They just broke the record.  Incredible pics.  

https://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/photos-record-breaking-snowfall-blankets-erie-pennsylvania-in-53-inches-of-snow/70003657

A sign of the brutal cold for this early in the year coming across the unfrozen lakes. That's one thing I miss as a kid in Michigan is lake effect snow squalls. Remember them well. It's amazing how a narrow stretch can get incredible amounts of snow and a few miles away sunny and no snow.

4 minutes ago, ShawnEastTN said:

A sign of the brutal cold for this early in the year coming across the unfrozen lakes. That's one thing I miss as a kid in Michigan is lake effect snow squalls. Remember them well. It's amazing how a narrow stretch can get incredible amounts of snow and a few miles away sunny and no snow.

Awesome.  Maybe some day I will take a road trip there.  I have family in Maine.  Seriously have considered heading there if a big storm hits.  I have seen some 3-4' drifts on Roan...but a risky drive to see them!

6 minutes ago, Carvers Gap said:

Awesome.  Maybe some day I will take a road trip there.  I have family in Maine.  Seriously have considered heading there if a big storm hits.  I have seen some 3-4' drifts on Roan...but a risky drive to see them!

Alex, I'll take the Blizzard of "93" for $1000! 

4 minutes ago, Kasper said:

Alex, I'll take the Blizzard of "93" for $1000! 

No doubt.  Lived on the UT campus during the blizzard.  Best storm of my life.  It had it all.  Speaking of cold...that storm road an Arctic boundary.  Models nailed that storm from way out.  Probably the first storm I model watched on the models (via TV wx reporters).  Hoping maybe one day again I will see such a storm ride an Arctic boundary.

3 minutes ago, Carvers Gap said:

No doubt.  Lived on the UT campus during the blizzard.  Best storm of my life.  It had it all.  Speaking of cold...that storm road an Arctic boundary.  Models nailed that storm from way out.  Probably the first storm I model watched on the models (via TV wx reporters).  Hoping maybe one day again I will see such a storm ride an Arctic boundary.

Yes, that storm was epic! Followed by brutal cold, as cold as the current forecast is for the first part of January. If we get snow cover the cold will definitely be brutal! Small world Carver, I was living in Farragut at the time! A friend and myself were actually going to climb Leconte the day before! Let's say I'm glad I called that off! 

Yes, that storm was epic! Followed by brutal cold, as cold as the current forecast is for the first part of January. If we get snow cover the cold will definitely be brutal! Small world Carver, I was living in Farragut at the time! A friend and myself were actually going to climb Leconte the day before! Let's say I'm glad I called that off! 

What no one really talks about because the blizzard was the tornado outbreak in February that year. I lived in Powell and we had a lot of damage within a couple hundred yards from my house.

Just now, *Flash* said:

Things looked decent at 114 but really fell apart afterwards compared to prior 4 runs. Need that Central Plains high to move more W/E than N/S. Kinda expected GFS to cave but it’s still a big bummer. 

Really, it held serve at 500.  It is significantly different that the Euro.  There is "room" on the GFS for a storm.  Minor speed differences, timing, etc,...but the GFS has an opening.

Just now, Carvers Gap said:

Really, it held serve at 500.  It is significantly different that the Euro.  There is "room" on the GFS for a storm.  Minor speed differences, timing, etc,...but the GFS has an opening.

I think we'll see it move more and more towards the Euro/CMC/UKIE.

One thing to note, it's to not take any storm as remotely serious beyond 5 days. It's crazy that the models get major upgrades and seemingly get worse at forecasting. The GFS used to have a reliable bias within 7 days, and that was a NW trend, it rarely had the issues it seems to have these days. This year it's just lost most of the time.

Also the Euro has  served up day 7 megastorms a couple of times already only to fall completely flat. I guess there's truly never going to be a way to be particularly accurate with micro details beyond 3-4 days. Not a huge fan of brown ground and bone rattling cold but we can only live with the weather we get. 

2 minutes ago, John1122 said:

One thing to note, it's to not take any storm as remotely serious beyond 5 days. It's crazy that the models get major upgrades and seemingly get worse at forecasting. The GFS used to have a reliable bias within 7 days, and that was a NW trend, it rarely had the issues it seems to have these days. This year it's just lost most of the time.

Also the Euro has  served up day 7 megastorms a couple of times already only to fall completely flat. I guess there's truly never going to be a way to be particularly accurate with micro details beyond 3-4 days. Not a huge fan of brown ground and bone rattling cold but we can only live with the weather we get. 

Not really a move to the Euro IMO on this run.  They could not be more different at 500.  The CMC even recurves a massive blizzard into the NE.  The Euro is on an island IMO w the proximity of the two areas of slp in the Pacific and with not digging into the NW.  The CMC caved to the GFS in the NW this run.  And I really don't like defending the GFS....

2 minutes ago, John1122 said:

Not very often you see a 1059 bomb going into Kansas.Would that be a record in that area?.If thats right,i still dont buy those temps,it should be colder

• Mr Bob unpinned this topic

Archived