joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter Speculation 17/18 -December Thread

AMZ8990

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 6z GFS was a great run if it is to be believed...likely just another of its wide variations.  Right now, no model is consistent.  Can anyone get precip maps for the UKMET past 72?   The Euro went from juicy to dry.  I suspect the answer is somewhere in betweeen.  The RGEM is interesting. The short range models have this and have had it for a few days.  The NAM at 6z began to creep north.  Trends matter right now.  Bad ones for sure on the Euro...but they are not consistent w its previous runs.  Here is the 6z GEFS snow map.  No idea if it is right...but is has pretty consistently been snowy.  Always remember, at this latitudes many factors are working against us...but we are approaching the time of year where climo favors snow.

C1C87AC4-1C62-47CA-BEF8-C66FEA998C88.jpeg

50 minutes ago, Carvers Gap said:

The 6z GFS was a great run if it is to be believed...likely just another of its wide variations.  Right now, no model is consistent.  Can anyone get precip maps for the UKMET past 72?   The Euro went from juicy to dry.  I suspect the answer is somewhere in betweeen.  The RGEM is interesting. The short range models have this and have had it for a few days.  The NAM at 6z began to creep north.  Trends matter right now.  Bad ones for sure on the Euro...but they are not consistent w its previous runs.  Here is the 6z GEFS snow map.  No idea if it is right...but is has pretty consistently been snowy.  Always remember, at this latitudes many factors are working against us...but we are approaching the time of year where climo favors snow.

C1C87AC4-1C62-47CA-BEF8-C66FEA998C88.jpeg

How long do we want to wait before we start a thread for the 29-31 potential?  We need to get some good mojo goIng so we can reel this storm in!!

17 minutes ago, AMZ8990 said:

How long do we want to wait before we start a thread for the 29-31 potential?  We need to get some good mojo goIng so we can reel this storm in!!

I am not convinced that suppression won’t happen....that is why those cutter solutions were so strange several days ago.  I would wait a few more runs.

21 minutes ago, jaxjagman said:

So I see 3 separate pieces of energy on the 28th, then by the 30th it looks like one big storm.  Does It think those pieces of energy are gonna phase together or what?

I did not buy the ridge over Christmas...I don't by the overall dry look now on the Euro.  But this is shakier ground now.  The trough under a -EPO ridge was not realistic under that config.  All models showed it...all models were wrong.  Now, we are closer.  The 12z UKMET is now suppressed.  That is a big ally to lose.  I certainly am not going to align w the GFS.  And a suppressed look is certainly realistic.  But.....I do think the GFS is correct about the amount of energy in the pattern even if it is likely wrong about the details.  The Euro has less energy overall...and that I do not by.  But the Euro is incredibly cold after day 7.  Probably missing some northern stream energy in that setup.  Nice front prior to that.

• Mr Bob unpinned this topic

Archived