Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter Speculation 17/18 -December Thread

AMZ8990

1 minute ago, Carvers Gap said:

IMO...the 12z Euro looked good again.  As HM said on Twitter...don’t worry so much about the nice looking snow maps.  Look at the pattern.  The 28-29 energy is further north.  Not here yet...but the trend is this way.  Then there is another piece after that looks very much like it could be ice on future runs...nice hit for NE TN.  But overall, we now have two threats inside of eight days to track...that is just inside of 8 days not what is past that.  

There's potential and I agree to not take anything remotely verbatim now. No telling what the actual pattern will be. 

The Euro gives some Christmas eve precip but it's rain. 

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not 100 percent sure I've seen temp/snow profiles handled the way the Euro does that run. Show a warm nose that sends rain in the 30s all the way up to Central Ky on this side of the Apps. Meanwhile Myrtle Beach is getting a major ice storm.  It rains for several hours across the forum, then the rain changes to snow in the Eastern areas and stays rain in the Mid-State. 

This produces a burst of very heavy snow on the Northern Plateau to NE Tennessee and points north. South Central Kentucky is all rain and it's rain mixed with snow to the North West of me. The NC side of the Apps are getting heavy snow/ice. Cold air is crashing into the western forum but the moisture is gone. 

This is when the snow is really rolling across the Eastern areas, north of 40 mainly. The weird warm nose in Middle Tennessee seems strange to me. Not that it's there, that it sort of effects the eastern areas but somehow it shrinks and the eastern areas escape it's influence to switch to snow. The winds are out of the due south and the 850s are +2 C at hour 186. The freezing level falls from 5000-7000 feet over the eastern forum down to near surface freezing and the 850s crash from 2 to -2. I really don't understand exactly how all that happens with South winds and a well established warm nose in place. Not sure why it happens here but not in South Central Kentucky, technically closer to the cold air.  It's an interesting outcome to me and I'd love it if it can be explained by anyone. 

ecmwf_t2m_kentucky_192.png

20 minutes ago, BillT said:

was the snow breaking out right now in the texas panhandle shown on any recent model???

None of the global models caught onto to it other than the canadian partially. Not many short range models saw it either. I think the Swiss Super HD may have had it yesterday if I'm not mistaken. If anything this clearly highlights how little we know will happen more than 5 days from now.

4 minutes ago, Carvers Gap said:

The 12z Euro control/mean are nice. Mean is 2" in Memphis and 7" in Elizabethton.  SE corner to NE corner.  The control is a major hit w 1' in middle and west TN....but the rest on the forum area also scores.  Matter of time IMO.  

I like the sound of that!  Thanks for the update, Carver..

12 minutes ago, Carvers Gap said:

Major CAD system for the Carolinas at 150.  GFS prob too warm...the Euro and the CMC are modeled a bit colder.  The ensembles are colder.  This time frame looks decent for ice or snow in the forum area.  Look at the pattern and not the snow maps.

I agree, GFS just seems to be lacking behind on the temps.  Great potential though as you said.

And then one of John's favorite wx features....a cutter into an Arctic high.  This one at 276 actually makes a bit more sense.  The low catches return flow off a high that goes into the Atlantic.  Looks like as these periods of cold rotate down, the nase of the departing trough is attacked by energy in the SW.  At some point the cold will not get out of the way.  Really stormy pattern on several runs of several models today.

• Mr Bob unpinned this topic

Archived