wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Winter Speculation 17/18 -December Thread

AMZ8990

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd love to see some consistency from the models. The Euro is definitely a dump and an old school one that that. There used to be times when we'd go from rain to snow and get heavy snow, it seems rare these days. Now we either seem to always start as snow and have to hope it stays snow instead of switching to rain.

We live in the most frustrating area of the nation regarding winter forecasting. I swear it seems like the models can sniff out a deep south snow further out than they can sniff one out here. I don't remember the last time we truly had a weeks notice for a winter storm that actually happened as modeled. Maybe 2010 or so.

6 minutes ago, jaxjagman said:

Yeah, but why cant it be 3-4 days out?Even the LLJ screams warm nose.It would definite be we found that needle in the haystack..lol

I know.  The models at 12z have almost all been more suppressed.  There are like 1,500 solutions out there right now...not even the same pieces of energy are on each model....I think we are entering one of those times that we really need to watch each system w the cold pressing south.  The models are probably under doing the southern extent of the cold relative to each run.  But there is a model run out there for pretty much everyone today at some time on some model.  Definite storm signal.  No details.  The 12z UKMET has an Apps runner on Christmas Eve.  

I have cautiously and quietly kept a glimmer of hope for a White Christmas. :santa: As Carver had mentioned the stalled front in Tennessee shown a few days ago is well out of the way. So far out of the way in fact another system makes it's way in Christmas Eve. It appears to me it does not have a defined center of low pressure and I'm not quite sure if it would fall under the definition of a clipper considering it's origin in Washington state. Regardless, it's something worth at least a glance showing up not just on the Euro but also the Canadian. The European has more moisture but less cold and vice versa for the Canadian model. It should be noted the GFS entirely drops the system outside of the rockies. For anyone north of I-40 I'd say there's still a chance albeit slim with chances rising in the typically favored areas. If all this leads to nothing it seems we got a pretty sweet pattern being advertised onward to make up for it. 

27 minutes ago, Carvers Gap said:

The 12z EPS consistently shows cold from the 24th w maybe a slight break to seasonal for one day.  Otherwise, I think ensembles are the way to go.  The 18z GEFS has zero model support from any model.  Better hope that is not happy hour finding the trend.  

Did you mean 18z gfs cause I looked at GEFS and it still shows cold but the gfs  shows 60s and rain.

Some good trends today at long leads.  The ensembles look good for "opportunity" as we close out 2018 and head into 2019.  We need to start reeling this timeframe in, however....

should be a fun Christmas holiday to follow, as long as the ensemble packages and other methods aren't smoking the collective crack pipe.

25 minutes ago, Carvers Gap said:

18z GEFS ensemble.  The operational was a completely new solution.  The ensemble was consistent.   Says operational was an outlier.  I might add the UKMET is a good tool at this point in the game.  Definitely interesting.

IMG_1244.PNG

That's quite a bullseye on the north east too btw.

• Mr Bob unpinned this topic

Archived