joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter Speculation 17/18 -December Thread

AMZ8990

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Euro is a snow event for most of the state as well. Still shows two separate storms. First wave is 1-2 inches from Jackson to Nashville, 2-4 inches across Eastern areas. Next wave comes a couple days later and puts down 1-3 more across Eastern areas. Roughly 3-6 inches falls across the northern Plateau into NE Tn, 2-4 in the central Valley of East Tn, 6-10 in SW Va, 1-3 elsewhere.

12z GFS w yet another variation.  Not sure I have ever seen that model struggle this badly....this is 4-5 days out and is just throwing darts.  I do buy suppression as a potential problem.  The CMC looks reasonable....only because something should be riding the Arctic boundary and because it keeps showing the same thing.

After last nights good run, I think we could expect a flip flop today and probably even tomorrow.  It looks like we should have some cold air in place so that's half the battle.  CMC has looked relatively consistent which is positive as Carver stated.  As we all know around here, forecasting at any range is tough because of the climate we live in.  We all have a chance at wintry precip though, and at the very least this is a good sign at this time frame.

I think last night’s run of the GFS was a major blip in how it handles the energy coming thru the southwest. Most other runs doesn’t have energy digging that far south. I think a more zonal and progressive look will happen considering how our current Christmas system trended from having a trough axis stuck in Baja to not even being able to dig to Texas. I just don’t see a long duration storm happening in this pattern.

I think what we will see is a few lighter events over the next couple of weeks but I think we can still get some decent shots of snow. They will just be fast moving and only dump a few inches for each system. We are getting a suppressed look now because there isn’t a way to back the flow out of the Gulf for a true Miller A unless something changes out west with a taller PNA Ridge.

• Mr Bob unpinned this topic

Archived