Welcome to American Weather
josh_4184

2017-18 LES Season

374 posts in this topic

Some models are trying to slow/stall the lake band somewhere in northwest Indiana on Thursday.  Not really sure about that but something I will be watching.

There appears to be a coherent LES band from Lake Michigan through all of Ohio and into the WV mountains.  There have been a few obs of light snow from places such as Lima, so I think the radar is just overshooting the band in that area.  It produced a report of 2" near Columbus and is still generating some occasional pockets of 20-30dBZ echoes on the TCMH radar, which is decent snow when it's this cold.  Having spent a few years in Athens in SE Ohio, I actually don't think this is exceedingly rare when the winds are fairly strong/well aligned (favors good inland penetration) and the low-level lapse rates are steep away from the lake (convergence from the band can cause it to keep generating snow without instability off of the lake).  Athens never got hit with any real accumulations from LES while I was down there, but we got snow showers from both Erie and Michigan a few times and in a couple of instances there were decent squalls and light accumulations nearby from such a setup.  

LES Athens.png

1 person likes this

6 hours ago, OHweather said:

There appears to be a coherent LES band from Lake Michigan through all of Ohio and into the WV mountains.  There have been a few obs of light snow from places such as Lima, so I think the radar is just overshooting the band in that area.  It produced a report of 2" near Columbus and is still generating some occasional pockets of 20-30dBZ echoes on the TCMH radar, which is decent snow when it's this cold.  Having spent a few years in Athens in SE Ohio, I actually don't think this is exceedingly rare when the winds are fairly strong/well aligned (favors good inland penetration) and the low-level lapse rates are steep away from the lake (convergence from the band can cause it to keep generating snow without instability off of the lake).  Athens never got hit with any real accumulations from LES while I was down there, but we got snow showers from both Erie and Michigan a few times and in a couple of instances there were decent squalls and light accumulations nearby from such a setup.  

LES Athens.png

It  looks like the 3KM NAM verified with the streamers reaching well into WV. I mentioned in a post a couple days ago that I've never seen it modeled before, but I do vaguely remember it occurring.

1 person likes this