Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2017-18 LES Season

josh_4184

• Replies 612
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We go from pretty good LES conditions later this week into the weekend to "OMG lake effect!" next week with some clippers.  It'll look like mid-winter downwind of the lakes for sure.  The airmass may be cold enough at times to actually limit ratios at times and the arctic air will be dry so we may not see huge totals at once outside of any dominant single bands, but it should add up.  Looks like everyone gets a shot with varying wind directions. 

Just updated. Calling for 2-3 feet weds/thurs

..WINTER STORM WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM WEDNESDAY EVENING
THROUGH LATE THURSDAY NIGHT...

* WHAT...Heavy lake effect snow possible. Travel will be very
  difficult at times. Total snow accumulations of 12 to 24 inches
  are possible in the most persistent lake snows. Locally two to
  three feet possible for locations in the Buffalo Southtowns.

15 minutes ago, (((Will))) said:

Makes you wonder why they didn't just issue a blizzard warning...winds 35-40mph, and gusts over 55mph or more for over 24 hours...

Or did they do away with blizzard warnings up here when they ditched the lake effect advisories, too.

It does make one say hmmmm...

"Sustained wind or frequent gusts greater than or equal to 35 mph will accompany falling and/or blowing snow to frequently reduce visibility to less than 1/4 mile for three or more hours."

15 minutes ago, (((Will))) said:

Makes you wonder why they didn't just issue a blizzard warning...winds 35-40mph, and gusts over 55mph or more for over 24 hours...

Or did they do away with blizzard warnings up here when they ditched the lake effect advisories, too.

Not sure what offices are fully adhering to this but I believe Marquette is on e that is participating along with APX.

nws-winter-alerts-diagram.jpg

1 hour ago, Jonger said:

There will be jackpots in the UP for 30 inches or beyond through the medium range.

Perhaps 2 feet or more in northern lower.

By Dec 15th we should be above normal in snowfall through most of the lake areas.

I was kinda thinking the opposite, I'm thinking that most areas outside the snow belts will be below normal for the next two weeks, we'll see I guess, hope I'm wrong though.

22 minutes ago, RogueWaves said:

Nice start! GEM out to the 15th piles on far SWMI/Berrien region pretty nicely..

Wow, that model must have streamers running very far inland or the Clipper train is about to get rolling.

Impressive snow depths all the way into the thumb.

11 hours ago, Hoosier said:

GEM nails me with a death band Saturday night.  Just a fantasy solution for now though as models have been keeping it farther east for the most part.

Still showing up, eh? If it's still there on tomorrow's runs, you might want to plan on a 20 mile LES chase.

2 minutes ago, Jonger said:

I'll be heading up Sunday. Not sure where, probably by myself. Gotta start breaking this thing in.

Buddies heading up the following weekend, but I have to work.

Next weekend will probably be the better weekend for riding, since it looks to snow almost everyday through next weekend also this cold will help freeze up the trails and standing water.  I will probably go out for s shake down run later this week if I have enough on the ground. 

12 minutes ago, josh_4184 said:

Next weekend will probably be the better weekend for riding, since it looks to snow almost everyday through next weekend also this cold will help freeze up the trails and standing water.  I will probably go out for s shake down run later this week if I have enough on the ground. 

It won't be perfect, but it will be possible. 

If nobody cracks a foot, I won't bother. Even a foot is not ideal given the warm ground.

24 minutes ago, IWXwx said:

Hoosier heartbreaker is still alive, although the Canadian is probably more full of crap than than Porter County's snowfall prediction. The totals "inch" up with each run.

Got to get more of a northeast component for Griffith/Highland/Munster areas to cash in with this one.  But we shall see.

gem_asnow_ncus_17.png

I can now join the ranks of Will, Bo, and Josh in posting lake effect pics! Picked up about 3 inches since midnight, with some very nice snow showers continuing. If it continues all day, I could see us making it to 6 inches. Nothing extraordinary like up north...but winter is finally here! :):) I am really looking forward to our clipper tomorrow night. It looks like the perfect setup for a Lake Michigan enhanced snowfall.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

15 hours ago, blackrock said:

I'm actually happy the lake effect is starting moreso overnight here. It gives me once last chance this evening to get the rest of the leaves up after the gales we had the past few days. Then...let it snow through April!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :P

Yeah, the windstorm did a number on my holiday decorations, not to mention burying them in a drift of leafs. By coincidence I had yesterday off so was able to get things back in order just in time for "1st lighting and 1st snowfall" overnight. Perfect timing scored, lol

4 minutes ago, RogueWaves said:

Yeah, the windstorm did a number on my holiday decorations, not to mention burying them in a drift of leafs. By coincidence I had yesterday off so was able to get things back in order just in time for "1st lighting and 1st snowfall" overnight. Perfect timing scored, lol

Ha! The wind actually blew many of the leaves away...probably to Grand Rapids! :P What it didn't blow away collected in to a huge pile in front of my garage and in our drainage ditch along the road. It was fun to be cleaning up leaves while it was snowing, with the Christmas lights on! :) Check out the pics I just posted...guess what is under that layer of snow? (No leaves!!! :))

It sounds like you had a very productive day off. I hope you can now enjoy your decorations. I noticed that with the mild conditions we had, people really took advantage of it and have beautiful Christmas displays this year.

Archived