Newest Member
    joxey
Hurricane Irma

downeastnc

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, JoshM said:

I'm just ready to get this darn cone narrowed down so evacuations won't be as insane.

Ditto and to just end this already. NHC just added another day.  This is like all the horror movie hallway scenes where you run and run and the hall stretches longer and longer. 

1 hour ago, Regan said:

Ditto and to just end this already. NHC just added another day.  This is like all the horror movie hallway scenes where you run and run and the hall stretches longer and longer. 

I've been through bunches of these being in eastern NC. I don't know why I thought this one was going to be easy to figure out but I was wrong. 4 to 5 more days to go.

From RAH:

Turning attention to Hurricane Irma, there are many possibilities
that still exist for both track and intensity of the storm and it is
too early to type up the fine print on exactly which scenario will
play out. What we do know is that North Carolina remains in the
envelope of possibilities and people should be making preparations
for possible effects by early next week. Best guess for timing of
potential impacts at this time would be to start feeling effects on
Monday with Monday night into Tuesday the best guess for greatest
impacts from the storm and exiting the area Tuesday night or early
Wednesday. The situation is expected to remain fluid and we urge
following the forecasts released by the National Hurricane Center
for the latest updates as they become available.

46 minutes ago, JoshM said:

I'm just ready to get this darn cone narrowed down so evacuations won't be as insane.

True, because evacuating the entire state within X miles from the coast would be a total zoo.

Hypothetical time since GFS models a worst case scenario for Charleston on this one with landfall roughly at Kiawah Island between 2 and 3PM... At 2.5 miles downriver from my location the tide peaks at 6.3' at 12:36PM (South Ashley River Bridge, downtown) so this would be about the worst case for storm surge. Wind direction doesn't help either since it's pointed from the ocean straight into the harbor and up the Ashley/Cooper Rivers. In the city you get category 1 sustained winds + gusts around 110. Power isn't coming back on for a while.

us_model-en-087-0_modusa_2017090706_109_4047_377.png

2 hours ago, JoshM said:

Charleston or North Charleston landfall.

Just a point of reference...there is a North Charleston that is about 15 miles inland. In this case, poster is talking Sullivans Island, Isle of Palms, Dewees Island, Capers Island, Bulls Bay, McClellanville...

those who remember Hugo, McClellanville got destroyed. Even the elementary school used as a refuge shelter had rescues.

6 hours ago, Dunkman said:

Ok the UKMET is out. Rather than posting maps I'll just do a quick pbp. It crashes into Cuba again, weakens substantially, goes over Key West then crosses FL SW to NE exiting around Cape Canaveral then another landfall at Charleston.

This is right over my house.  How accurate do we think this is when all the other models are still putting it near Miami?

12 minutes ago, StormyClearweather said:

GEFS followed the OP relatively closely -- the mean is probably a bit west of the OP. None of the members show an out to sea solution on this run (much like yesterday's runs didn't). Normally I would expect a northerly/easterly shift, but the ECMWF and UKMET give me pause. 

Big differences in the effects felt around my back yard. The Euro track would probably bring 75 mph gusts atleast, the tracks that hit the SC coast and go N / NE, would give me very little rain and wind, while giving Raleigh quite a few issues. Gonna be a tense few days, can't imagine being in Florida right now!

3 minutes ago, mackerel_sky said:

Big differences in the effects felt around my back yard. The Euro track would probably bring 75 mph gusts atleast, the tracks that hit the SC coast and go N / NE, would give me very little rain and wind, while giving Raleigh quite a few issues. Gonna be a tense few days, can't imagine being in Florida right now!

Yep...Euro is really not that much for Raleigh while for your backyard it's really bad.  It's hard to imagine the Euro getting beat by the GFS.  

2 minutes ago, Blue_Ridge_Escarpment said:

But really the GFS is very similar to Euro save a few offlandish runs. 

Well Euro is riding the FL coast and go inland in GA and GFS is off the coast and goes inland much further north into SC.  At day 4+ it's not a big difference as the idea is the same but will be huge for places like MYR/ILM and CHS/SAV.

5 minutes ago, packbacker said:

Yep...Euro is really not that much for Raleigh while for your backyard it's really bad.  It's hard to imagine the Euro getting beat by the GFS.  

Euro lost to the GFS with mathew last year. Euro showed him hauling butt east in by the weakness nicole created but we all know that didn't happen.

Just now, shaggy said:

Euro lost to the GFS with mathew last year. Euro showed him hauling butt east in by the weakness nicole created but we all know that didn't happen.

Other people have said the GFS did better then Euro for Matthew but need to go check out the old threads.  Also, this is a completely different GFS and an upgraded Euro.

Archived