Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Hurricane Irma

downeastnc

10 minutes ago, buckeyefan1 said:

Too much uncertainty past day 4/5 for anyone to feel like a threat is diminishing. A 50ish mile early turn towards the north could mean all the difference between a landfall in FL or a landfall in Wilmington. 

Irma will definitely be testing my patience this week :lol: 

Well put, it'll be like the days leading up to Matthew last year. I have a feeling that even after the turn happens everyone will be wondering about specifics right up until the very end because of the shape of the coastline.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Wow said:

Based on the way this is approaching the US, all it takes is a turn north just a little bit earlier than what the models are printing out now and it's SC/NC instead of FL.  

yeah, literally a 50 mile shift is all the difference. will be a nightmare evac wise similar to floyd if this is the same look we have late week.

3 minutes ago, Wow said:

Based on the way this is approaching the US, all it takes is a turn north just a little bit earlier than what the models are printing out now and it's SC/NC instead of FL.  

I agree.  But the projected track has also gotten closer to Cuba too.  I'm not writing it off by any means.  Just thinking the odds of a Cuba/Florida strike have risen, vs what we were seeing the other day.  Likewise, the odds of an OTS solution have decreased.  This is just based on recent trends.

4 minutes ago, Cold Rain said:

I agree.  But the projected track has also gotten closer to Cuba too.  I'm not writing it off by any means.  Just thinking the odds of a Cuba/Florida strike have risen, vs what we were seeing the other day.  Likewise, the odds of an OTS solution have decreased.  This is just based on recent trends.

Seems less so Cuba compared to yesterday (there's been a small north trend with the models), but perhaps cutting north on the GOM side of FL are higher ranked options with todays models.  But should the Atlantic ridge break down just a bit faster...

3 minutes ago, Cold Rain said:

Latest model guidence I saw with the new data put in for the 18z runs showed more grouping together and a track further north from Cuba that it would have very little, if any, impact on the storm itself. Give it another 48 hours or so. 

11 minutes ago, Wow said:

Seems less so Cuba compared to yesterday (there's been a small north trend with the models), but perhaps cutting north on the GOM side of FL are higher ranked options with todays models.  But should the Atlantic ridge break down just a bit faster...

Ok, and your graphic shows what you're saying.  I just remember the other day, there wasn't a lot of guidance taking it near Cuba or Florida to the degree that we've seen over the last 48hrs.  I guess that's what I was saying.  IIRC, we had more direct SE/mid-Atlantic/NE/OTS solutions a few days ago than the farther south/west tracks we're seeing now.  That's just going from memory.

2 minutes ago, Cold Rain said:

Ok, and your graphic shows what you're saying.  I just remember the other day, there wasn't a lot of guidance taking it near Cuba or Florida to the degree that we've seen over the last 48hrs.  I guess that's what I was saying.  IIRC, we had more direct SE/mid-Atlantic/NE/OTS solutions a few days ago than the farther south/west tracks we're seeing now.  That's just going from memory.

Yes, before yesterdays big southern trend it was moving more NW through the Bahamas, then a question as to whether it was going to plow inland, head due north, or OTS.  Now we seem to be getting good agreement of a more westerly movement before turning north, and a more abrupt turn at that.

I booked a hotel in Sanford earlier this evening as a hedge against the GEFS/ride up the west coast of FLA scenario, for Sat through Tues, assuming it may take most of the day on Sat to travel the distance from Tampa to Sanford.  Very few rooms were left, so people waiting until mid week are going to be out of luck.

54 minutes ago, Cold Rain said:

I'm starting to feel like the threat for a direct hit to the Carolina coast as a major hurricane is diminishing.  Of course, all possibilities are still on the table, but the odds of it interacting with Cuba or Florida are going up, which will obviously negatively impact the circulation.

Yeah, if it tracks past 80W then I would think most likely we just have to worry about the rains.  The 12z Euro did track it over Charleston, SC which would be pretty bad.  The 12z EPS was fairly stout for GA to NC landfalls too.  I guess wide right is still on the table too.

4 hours ago, timnc910 said:

Yea the west trend continues. . It will be interesting to see the 00z suite .

4 hours ago, ncskywarn said:

Tonight's 0Z run is going to be intersting with the baloon & G-IV data collected incorporated into it. To see if there will be any changes to model ouptut.

Does anyone ever think the next set of model runs will be uninteresting?  "No point in staying up for the 00Z suite:  they're sure to be a major letdown providing no new information."  :D

4 hours ago, Wow said:

Trend of the hurricane models for the day.  More north, a bit more west once it cuts north.

aald252.gif

Yea, models are definitely trending away from interaction with Hispaniola or Cuba. What's interesting is the guidance generally struggles with WSW moving Hurricanes. We saw it w/ Katrina after it went WSW over Florida and into the Loop current in the GOM. The models corrected west solid 150 miles from Florida to New Orleans. They have done the same thing w/ Irma. Whether the west trends have slowed and we start to correct back towards the east remains to be seen. These north curving Canes are so hard to predict b/c the trough timing is always impossible to predict 7 to 10 days out. I'm sure there are many more plot twists to come. 

34 minutes ago, downeastnc said:

hard to tell because its doing a ERC, and they wobble anyways the general motion for a while now has been W.....will the 00Z Nam runs have the expanded data? 

You sure it's doing a ERC? It just finished one today. There isn't any secondary wind max on the recon data and I can't see the outer eyewall on microwave. Also, NHC makes no mention of an ERC in progress. 

To me, it looks like it's primed to strengthen. But I'm no expert 

2 minutes ago, SteveVa said:

You sure it's doing a ERC? It just finished one today. There isn't any secondary wind max on the recon data and I can't see the outer eyewall on microwave. Also, NHC makes no mention of an ERC in progress. 

To me, it looks like it's primed to strengthen. But I'm no expert 

I meant that she has done one in the last 6-10 hrs and that makes the eye look ragged, she still has a "ugly" eye and hasnt been able to get a good stable eye though the last several frames it finally appears she is stabilizing her eye...so its hard to tell for sure what the motion has been.....

1 minute ago, timnc910 said:

Looks to be about the same solution as the 18z model.. I guess we are starting to see a general consensus. .. Not sure we will see much of a correction back to the east

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Yup, it'll most likely stay the same for upcoming 21-24 runs before possible landfall.

Archived